file Anarch Revolt and losing anarchs during Untap phase

19 Jul 2013 10:05 #51865 by Kraus
Ho!

We got this issue up yesterday, and couldn't figure out an answer with general rulings, card rulings, card text or Rules Reference.

I had an anarch vampire with Eye of Hazimel up, controlled an Anarch Revolt and had only 1 pool left. So, basically, I can't pay for Eye of Hazimel, my vampire goes to torpor from damage, and then I don't have an Anarch to cover for Anarch Revolt.

What happens? Can I opt to check for Anarch Revolt before going to torpor, or does Revolt check continuously throughout Untap phase, or effectively check for its effect at the end of the phase? By rules I can conduct effects in any order I wish, like use my Vessel before taking damage from Revolt, but the card texts were confusing this time.

Name: Anarch Revolt
[Jyhad:U, VTES:U, CE:U, Anarchs:PAB2, KMW:PAn, Third:U]
Cardtype: Master
Master.
Put this card in play. A Methuselah who does not control a ready anarch burns 1 pool during his or her untap phase. Any vampire can call a referendum to burn this card as a +1 stealth political action.
Artist: Pete Venters; Steve Prescott

The same kind of a situation might occur with cards like Society of Leopold or that Sabbat vote which gives target counters and deals damage in untap phase.

We eventually flipped a coin since the arguments were strong towards both ends.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2013 10:36 - 19 Jul 2013 10:36 #51866 by Ohlmann
IIRC, you must pay the Anarch Revolt in this case and be ousted.

That's because you can't go to the following phase if you did not burn a pool or have an Anarch. You cannot go to the following phase without paying for the Hazimel eye or burning it either. So, you have to burn the Eye, then you have to pay for the anarch revolt.
Last edit: 19 Jul 2013 10:36 by Ohlmann.

More
19 Jul 2013 10:37 #51867 by Pascal Bertrand

Ho!

We got this issue up yesterday, and couldn't figure out an answer with general rulings, card rulings, card text or Rules Reference.

I had an anarch vampire with Eye of Hazimel up, controlled an Anarch Revolt and had only 1 pool left. So, basically, I can't pay for Eye of Hazimel, my vampire goes to torpor from damage, and then I don't have an Anarch to cover for Anarch Revolt.

What happens? Can I opt to check for Anarch Revolt before going to torpor, or does Revolt check continuously throughout Untap phase, or effectively check for its effect at the end of the phase?

Check at the end of the untap phase. [LSJ 20080106]

(note: you could choose to burn 1 pool to Anarch Revolt earlier during your untap phase, but only if you don't control a ready anarch when you perform the check)

Example :
Say it's your untap phase, an Anarch Revolt A and Anarch Revolt B are in play.
You control Merged Dominique (Anarch Baron of Paris). Dominique sadly has a Baltimore Purge on her. Dominique also has a Renewed Vigor on her.

You cannot burn pool to Anarch Revolts as long as Dominique is ready.
However, you must send Dominique to torpor (Baltimore Purge).
At that point, you can decide to perform the Anarch Revolt A check (and/or Anarch Revolt B), and lose 1 pool (maybe you need to call a Parity Shift later) or can decide not to perform these checks
Then, you can bring back Dominique to the ready region (Renewed Vigor). After this, and as long as Dominique is ready during your untap phase, you can't burn pool to Anarch Revolts.

Anarch Revolt's effect is a mandatory effect, which means you can't leave the Untap phase without performing it. As wrote LSJ,

Xe has to control at least one ready anarch at the end of xer untap phase to avoid losing pool.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kraus

More
19 Jul 2013 13:18 #51880 by KevinM

Name: Anarch Revolt
[Jyhad:U, VTES:U, CE:U, Anarchs:PAB2, KMW:PAn, Third:U]
Cardtype: Master
Master.
Put this card in play. A Methuselah who does not control a ready anarch burns 1 pool during his or her untap phase. Any vampire can call a referendum to burn this card as a +1 stealth political action.

When your anarch vampire leaves the ready region, do you have a ready anarch? No. So, pay 1 pool.

IOW: Since there is no language that says you can pay something or tap something to activate Anarch Revolt and turn it "off", it's always "on".

Or: "During [the] untap phase" = at any/all time within the phase

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
19 Jul 2013 13:35 #51882 by Kraus
'tis as I though. Thanks for answers.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines

More
19 Jul 2013 20:41 #51888 by delangen
I remember reading somewhere that all effects that happen during a phase untap/master you can resolve in any order you want... not sure about some of the card rulings or if this is out of date

Would make sense the Anarch covers the revolt then has others happen... burn with leopold or send to torpor... etc

:aus: :dom: :tha: :for: :trem:

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds