file How long does Tyler's boost bleed or vote lasts?

27 Aug 2013 11:01 #53649 by Ankha
On what is this clarification based?
Is "for the current action" redundant?
How do we know for how long an effect lasts? There's no such thing as "yet we understand something" as in my understanding, Tyler's effect could last the whole turn.

I'd say just for the duration of that one action the ability is used in.

Neither Conditioning nor Bewitching Oration state the duration either and yet we understand it only lasts until the end of the action.

These are "action modifiers". They modify the current action and therefore cannot extend beyond the action's duration (unless stated otherwise).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2013 13:18 - 27 Aug 2013 13:19 #53652 by jamesatzephyr

On what is this clarification based?

Pretty sure: it has to work some way or another and card text isn't being overly helpful so let's pick one. Treat it as errata if you prefer.

(For the record, it's the one I'd have picked if the question came up in a tournament, while acknowledging the obvious hole.)

How do we know for how long an effect lasts?

1) Card text.
2) Defaults - some are established by rules or rulings, such as how long an action modifier lasts or how long an optional maneuver hangs around for ([TOM 19960521]).
3) Asking questions, when there's a problem.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2013 13:19 by jamesatzephyr.

More
27 Aug 2013 14:49 #53654 by inm8
The nature of the abilities being “modification” or ”reaction” of an action suggest that it should oblige to the same rules as action modifiers/reactions… meaning it is confined to last only as long as the modified/reacted upon action.

More
27 Aug 2013 16:06 #53656 by AaronC
Vincent's question is legitimate. Intuitively, Tyler's bonuses are only active during one action, but as written, the card does not necessarily function that way.

If some similar "once per turn" vampire abilities specify "during the current action" but Tyler's do not, that implies that Tyler's abilities are not limited to the current action.

I think that Vincent is angling for all such abilities to be updated so that they are written in the same way. If the description of two abilities say different things, it is not logical to think that they function the same way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ankha

More
27 Aug 2013 19:11 #53660 by jamesatzephyr

If some similar "once per turn" vampire abilities specify "during the current action" but Tyler's do not, that implies that Tyler's abilities are not limited to the current action.

Or that card text is inconsistent and imperfect from time to time.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds