file Blood Fury vs Diversion

23 Nov 2013 18:14 #56992 by dcherryholmes
Name: Blood Fury
[Jyhad:C, VTES:C, CE:PTr4, BH:PTr2, KMW:PB3]
Cardtype: Combat
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Thaumaturgy
Only usable at close range.
[tha] Strike: hand strike at +1 damage. This damage cannot be prevented by cards that require Fortitude [for]. If the opposing vampire attempts to strike with a weapon this round, he or she does no damage.
[THA] As above, but for strength+2 damage.
Artist: Daniel Gelon

Name: Diversion
[Anarchs:C2/PAG4]
Discipline: Celerity/Fortitude/Thaumaturgy
Requires a ready anarch.
[cel] Gain one additional strike.
[for] Prevent up to 2 damage.
[tha] Strike: ranged. Steal 1 blood with an optional maneuver.
Artist: Andrew Bates

I agree that the intent of Blood Fury is clear... fortitude damage prevention does not work against it. But I was reading the text of the card and notice that it is phrased "by cards that require fortitude." Technically, Diversion does not *require* fortitude. A vampire without fortitude can play the *card*. If Blood Fury said "by effects that require fortitude" it would be unambiguous. I'm just wondering if I have discovered a loophole, or if there is a ruling that says otherwise. Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2013 18:21 #56993 by Squidalot

Name: Blood Fury
[Jyhad:C, VTES:C, CE:PTr4, BH:PTr2, KMW:PB3]
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Thaumaturgy
Only usable at close range.
[tha] Strike: hand strike at +1 damage. This damage cannot be prevented by cards that require Fortitude [for]. If the opposing vampire attempts to strike with a weapon this round, he or she does no damage.
[THA] As above, but for strength+2 damage.
Artist: Daniel Gelon

Name: Diversion
[Anarchs:C2/PAG4]
Discipline: Celerity/Fortitude/Thaumaturgy
Requires a ready anarch.
[cel] Gain one additional strike.
[for] Prevent up to 2 damage.
[tha] Strike: ranged. Steal 1 blood with an optional maneuver.
Artist: Andrew Bates

I agree that the intent of Blood Fury is clear... fortitude damage prevention does not work against it. But I was reading the text of the card and notice that it is phrased "by cards that require fortitude." Technically, Diversion does not *require* fortitude. A vampire without fortitude can play the *card*. If Blood Fury said "by effects that require fortitude" it would be unambiguous. I'm just wondering if I have discovered a loophole, or if there is a ruling that says otherwise. Thoughts?

Dave - what discipline do you need to play:
"[for] Prevent up to 2 damage."?
Therefore it requires it for that effect.

More
23 Nov 2013 18:33 #56998 by ReverendRevolver
Wow, just realized Daves never posted on here.

I

More
23 Nov 2013 19:33 #57005 by dcherryholmes
That is one interpretation. And if it were official, I would be fine with it. But, it is not a strict reading of the text of Blood Fury. Blood Fury was not written with multidiscipline cards in mind, so at that time any Fortitude prevention would be strictly a Fortitude card. Do you see my point?

More
23 Nov 2013 20:25 #57008 by D-dennis

That is one interpretation. And if it were official, I would be fine with it. But, it is not a strict reading of the text of Blood Fury. Blood Fury was not written with multidiscipline cards in mind, so at that time any Fortitude prevention would be strictly a Fortitude card. Do you see my point?

I think this answers your question:
(from the General Rulings page)

When played, a split Discipline card counts as requiring the Discipline being used (for effects that enhance or restrict cards that require certain Disciplines). In the hand (or library or ash heap), the card can be considered to require either Discipline (for effects that retrieve cards that require certain Disciplines). [LSJ 20020510]

More
23 Nov 2013 20:48 - 23 Nov 2013 20:49 #57012 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Blood Fury vs Diversion

That is one interpretation. And if it were official, I would be fine with it. But, it is not a strict reading of the text of Blood Fury.

Reading "strictly" Blood Fury leads to the same conclusion: you can't prevent damage from Blood Fury using Diversion at [for]

Blood Fury was not written with multidiscipline cards in mind, so at that time any Fortitude prevention would be strictly a Fortitude card. Do you see my point?

Indeed, unless designers had some time machine. But I think you're overimaginating things. "They couldn't know there would be some three-disciplines cards, therefore a cardtext that was written years ago can't handle something that was written afterwards".

It's just like saying that Stanislava's card text is unclear about whether Carlton Van Wyk can block her or not, because he was only printed years after.
Which is cleary not.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 23 Nov 2013 20:49 by Ankha.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds