file Inceptor & Mal/Str cards

22 Feb 2014 21:52 #59330 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Re: Inceptor & Mal/Str cards

Ok here's the logic behind it. You may put any three cards on Inceptor, knock yourself out. You must meet the requirements of the card to play it, which Inceptor cannot help you with if it is not a discipline. Striga and Mal are not a discipline, therefore you do not gain the ability to play those cards through Inceptor.

Agreed, this is what I said.

Pascal, thanks for the official confirmation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2014 02:16 - 23 Feb 2014 02:17 #59333 by Legendre

Ok here's the logic behind it... You must meet the requirements of the card to play it, which Inceptor cannot help you with if it is not a discipline.

I appreciate the effort to help me see the Light of Natural Reason as set forth in the Rulebook, but I have to disagree with you. Not with your interpretation of what happens in this situation, obviously. I just disagree that we're in any way talking about "logic." It's not logic. It's an agreed-upon convention with which any given player may or may not be familiar.

Here's the logic behind saying it's not logic:

There's a rule that you must meet the requirements of a card to play it. (1.6.1.3; see also 1.6.3)

But there's also a rule that says that card text takes precedence over the rules. (1.4)

You're telling me that 1.6.1.3 takes precedence over Inceptor's wording, which says:

This vampire may play other copies of these cards as if he or she had the Discipline required (if any) at superior.

Since Striga cards don't require a discipline, we can ignore the whole second "as if" clause. It's a perfectly reasonable (although, as it happens, incorrect) reading of Inceptor to say that the Vampire can play other copies of these cards, with that ability taking precedence under Rule 1.4 over rule 1.6.1.3.

So to make the ruling one of "logic", you must assume (correctly) that the "may play" language of Inceptor is subordinate to 1.6.1.3.

And that's an allowable assumption -- because that's the convention. But the one thing it's not is a logical extension of the rules or the card text, which by themselves do not tell us which way to resolve this particular situation.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2014 02:17 by Legendre.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pascek

More
23 Feb 2014 05:42 #59335 by Pascek
Replied by Pascek on topic Re: Inceptor & Mal/Str cards
Agree with Legendre.

:bruj: :DOM::FOR::POT::PRE::PRO:
Roberto Mautone Jr.
Praetor

More
23 Feb 2014 05:59 #59336 by jamesatzephyr

So to make the ruling one of "logic", you must assume (correctly) that the "may play" language of Inceptor is subordinate to 1.6.1.3.

No, it's just that you're reading half a sentence on a card and claiming that that means something it doesn't, when the whole sentence says something different. This is true even if you underline some of the words to try and distract people from the whole sentence. Similarly, we don't play Eyes of the Serpent and read it as saying "This acting minion cannot be blocked by allies until the end of this action ." Which is what you're doing with the card text here.

You may play the cards as if you met the discipline requirement (if any). This isn't "You may play the cards irrespective of every other rule in the game."
  • If the card requires an anarch and you're not an anarch, you can't play it, even though you meet the discipline requirement.
  • If you don't have the blood to pay for the card, you can't play the card. But but but the card text says "This vampire may play other copies of these cards" so I have to be able to play the card even though I can't afford it, right?
  • If the card requires a clan that you're not, you can't play the card. But the card says "This vampire may play other copies of these cards" so I have to be able to play the card, right? RIGHT?
  • If the card requires an ally and you're a vampire, you can't play the card. But how can you not see that the card tells me right there I can play it? It says "MAY PLAY", look at only those two words and I'm right, right?

More
23 Feb 2014 09:02 #59338 by Juggernaut1981
If we wish to split semantic hairs here... then "may" and "can" are not equivalent.

"May" implies a permission to, or some allowance.
"Can" implies capability.

The old stupid joke of Student: "Can I go to the toilet teacher?" T: "Well I hope you can, you're old enough to be at school!".

That Inceptor says the minion MAY play copies does not say that it CAN play copies UNLESS those copies require disciplines (if any are required).

So, the logic is rather simple.

1) You may put any three cards you wish onto Inceptor. Inceptor does not care which cards you choose to place on it.

2) You have permission to play those cards, and those cards only, AS IF the minion had the REQUIRED DISCIPLINES if that card requires disciplines.

3) If those cards do NOT require disciplines, then Inceptor cannot help you play them.

So to conclude the logic from those three premises you get these two statements.

A: Inceptor will let you fake any Superior Discipline, including all those quasi-broken Bloodlines Disciplines like Temporis, required to play the cards placed on Inceptor.

B: Inceptor will NOT let you fake anything that is NOT a Discipline (since it is AS IF the minion had the REQUIRED DISCIPLINES at Superior (if any)). Since Mal & Str are NOT Required Disciplines (they are Required Non-Disciplines) they cannot be faked by Inceptor. This is similar to if the card required Black Hand, Seraph or a specific Clan.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
23 Feb 2014 19:51 - 23 Feb 2014 19:53 #59350 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Inceptor & Mal/Str cards

If we wish to split semantic hairs here... then "may" and "can" are not equivalent.
"May" implies a permission to, or some allowance.
"Can" implies capability.

Rule-wise, "can" and "may" are strictly equivalent in V:TES. Beast doesn't ask for permission before entering combat for instance.

This vampire may play other copies of these cards as if he or she had the Discipline required (if any) at superior.

Since Striga cards don't require a discipline, we can ignore the whole second "as if" clause. It's a perfectly reasonable (although, as it happens, incorrect) reading of Inceptor to say that the Vampire can play other copies of these cards, with that ability taking precedence under Rule 1.4 over rule 1.6.1.3.

The important part is the "can play ... as if..." so you skipped half of the syntax. This syntax allows the vampire to emulate some part of the requirements, not all the requirements.

The syntax that would match your interpretaion is well-known and would be "This vampire may play other copies of these cards ignoring its requirements."

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 23 Feb 2014 19:53 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lech

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds