file black sunrise + deflection

05 Aug 2014 19:11 #64683 by Charles_Bronson
Arika bleeds. Ur shulgi untaps with black sunrise and try to block.

Can ur-shulgi play deflection just after arika declines to play any modifier (including stealth)?

Or combat starts and ur-shulgi can not play deflection at all?

thank you. :)

I am death.
Paul Kersey, Death Wish
:vent::THA::QUI::FOR::dom::obf::cap9:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2014 19:27 #64685 by ReverendRevolver
Black Sunrise

Only usable by a tapped vampire. Only usable during a (D) action directed at you or something you control. This vampire untaps and attempts to block.
As above, but usable on any action.

So, deflection is usable after blocks are declined.

If you untap and attempt to block, and are successful, you havent declined to block. She would need to stealth by you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charles_Bronson

More
06 Aug 2014 05:49 #64694 by jamesatzephyr

Arika bleeds. Ur shulgi untaps with black sunrise and try to block.

Can ur-shulgi play deflection just after arika declines to play any modifier (including stealth)?

Or combat starts and ur-shulgi can not play deflection at all?

An important point here is that after you start a block attempt, you are committed to that block attempt until it fails or succeeds. You can't just back out in the middle. [LSJ 20020625]

In practice, this means:

- the acting minion amasses more stealth than you have intercept (-> failed block)
- you have sufficient intercept (-> successful block)
- a card like Call of the Hungry Dead is played, causing the block attempt to fail (-> failed block)
- a card like Dawn Operation [for] has card text explicitly allowing a player to back out, which they normally can't.

Once you fail to block (or are no longer blocking for some other reason), you can wait for blocks to be declined. You can then play Deflection.

If you declare a block attempt and have sufficient intercept to block (and no Call of the Hungry Dead/Dawn Op type shenanigans ensue), you are successful in your block and can't voluntarily decline it. Therefore, blocks haven't been declined. Therefore, you can't play Deflection.

For example, the following play isn't valid:

A: Arika plays Kine Resources Contested. +1 stealth.
B: Amber attempts to block. Amber plays Precognition for +1 intercept, because I want to cycle it from my hand. But Amber now backs out of blocking, because I only wanted to cycle the card.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charles_Bronson

More
06 Aug 2014 10:11 #64701 by Charles_Bronson
Thanks for your answers. I was confused about redirection and T misdirection cardtexts, but those were clarified and all "redirection" alike cards are now played only "after blocks are declined", answering my question.

Thank you again.

I am death.
Paul Kersey, Death Wish
:vent::THA::QUI::FOR::dom::obf::cap9:

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds