file Dabbler and Rutor's Hand

06 Mar 2015 17:48 #69695 by mjvtes521
This happened in a game I just played. I played Rutor's Hand with Righteous Endeavor who had Dabbler on him. Righteous had 3 blood on him and I played Rutor's Hand at superior. I then played Mind of the Wilds at inferior. The action wasn't blocked. Dabbler was triggered since I had just played cards requiring 3 different disciplines. Does the Rutor's Hand resolve successfully if I use the Dabbler to gain 1 blood? We thought so, and so, righteous paid 1 blood for the Rutor's hand cost, leaving him with 2 blood. Then he gained 1 blood from Dabbler to get him back to 3, which were then burned to avoid taking the unpreventable agg damage, leaving him ready with 0 blood and a Rutor's Hand on him. Did we do that right? I am not sure. Here are the relevant cards texts:

Righteous Endeavor
[ANI]
[AUS]
[THA]
[VIC]
[Tzimisce] Tzimisce
Capacity: 8
Group: 5
Sabbat priscus: Righteous gets +1 intercept against infernal minions and +1 strength in combat with an infernal minion.

Dabbler

Master: archetype. Trifle.
Put this card on a vampire you control. Once each turn when this vampire uses 3 or more Disciplines to play cards during an action, he or she may gain 1 blood from the bank or burn 1 blood to untap (after the action is resolved). A vampire can have only one archetype.

Rutor's Hand
[Action] Action

[Thaumaturgy] Thaumaturgy

[1 Blood]

+1 stealth action.
[tha] Put this card on the acting vampire. This vampire takes 1 unpreventable aggravated damage. Beginning with your next turn, this vampire may untap once during each of your minion phases. A vampire may have only one Rutor's Hand.
[THA] As above, but this acting vampire may prevent the aggravated damage by burning 3 additional blood.

Mind of the Wilds
[Action Modifier]

Animalism & Auspex

[ani] [aus] If this action is blocked, this vampire gets an optional maneuver in the first round of the resulting combat, and the blocking minion cannot strike to end combat.
[ANI] [AUS] As above, with +1 stealth.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2015 18:10 #69697 by jamesatzephyr

Does the Rutor's Hand resolve successfully if I use the Dabbler to gain 1 blood?

You reach resolution with the ability to pay for the card (1 blood), but you only have 2 blood left over.

We thought so, and so, righteous paid 1 blood for the Rutor's hand cost, leaving him with 2 blood. Then he gained 1 blood from Dabbler to get him back to 3, which were then burned to avoid taking the unpreventable agg damage, leaving him ready with 0 blood and a Rutor's Hand on him.

No. Taking the damage (and possibly preventing it) is part of the resolution of Rutor's Hand. You get the blood from Dabbler after resolving the action.

[LSJ 20100211]

> I play Read the Winds. Combat occurs. Play Thrown Gate.
> At this point, I say, "I'm triggering the Dabbler ability to gain 1
> blood after the action is resolved."
> Then the combat ends, then the action resolves, then my vamp gains 1
> blood.

You decide after the action resolves whether to use it and, if you
decide to use it, in which manner you use it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds