question-circle Master of Forces - Storyline card

02 Apr 2015 11:40 #70175 by Heslin
My apologies if this question has been addressed elsewhere, couldn't find it:

Master of Forces
Master:trifle.
Put this card and 1 Quintessence counter on a mage you control. Each strike made in combat by this mage inflicts +1 damage. [...]

While playing this card last week, the question arose: if a mage ally with Master of Forces used Stepping Sideways (S:CE) as her strike, would it inflict 1 damage? I thought not, but the player asking the question pointed out Catatonic Fear as a possible comparison.

--heslin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2015 11:48 - 02 Apr 2015 15:17 #70176 by jamesatzephyr

My apologies if this question has been addressed elsewhere, couldn't find it:

Master of Forces
Master:trifle.
Put this card and 1 Quintessence counter on a mage you control. Each strike made in combat by this mage inflicts +1 damage. [...]

While playing this card last week, the question arose: if a mage ally with Master of Forces used Stepping Sideways (S:CE) as her strike, would it inflict 1 damage? I thought not, but the player asking the question pointed out Catatonic Fear as a possible comparison.

--heslin

If a strike doesn't have a damage component at all, damage modifiers won't add to it. For example, Reverend Blackwood's special won't add damage to a Theft of Vitae, Target Head won't add damage to Mylan Horseed's dodge strike, and Forger's Hammer doesn't make a Rowan Ring inflict damage.

If a strike has a damage component then you can add to it. For example, Catatonic Fear does damage as well as S:CE, so you can add to it. Stutter-Step is a hand strike and a dodge, so you can add to it. A vampire suffering from Blight (-1 strength) can have their damage added to because they're doing 0 damage currently, not no damage at all.

Edit to add rules bit now I have a few moments to find it:

vekn.net/general-rulings
Adding damage to strikes which are not damage dealing strikes will not deal damage (e.g., using Lucky Blow and choosing your Rowan Ring melee weapon won't deal damage) [RTR 19960221]
Last edit: 02 Apr 2015 15:17 by jamesatzephyr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds