file Time Auctioning Parmenides

11 May 2015 22:19 #71037 by prestonp
My prey plays Paramenides who comes to me because of his special text: "Independent: When you move Parmenides from your uncontrolled region to your ready region, your predator takes control of Parmenides until your next untap phase. +1 strength. (Blood Cursed)"

On my master phase, I play Malkavian Time Auction which reads, "Choose a card you control. Starting to your left and proceeding clockwise, other Methuselahs may bid pool for control of that card. Highest bidder takes control of the card. You collect pool from the two highest bidders."

So if the winner of the auction is NOT my prey, that player gains control of Paramenides. I think this will override his clause to change control back to my prey, but I'm not sure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2015 03:51 #71039 by Ankha

So if the winner of the auction is NOT my prey, that player gains control of Paramenides. I think this will override his clause to change control back to my prey, but I'm not sure.

Correct. The player who won the auction gains permanent control of Parmenides. When the temporary change of control ends, nothing happens.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pascal Bertrand

More
13 May 2015 17:25 #71067 by XZealot
Parmenides wording breaks that effect. You only have control of him until his original controllers next untap phase. Even if you auction him off, he returns to his original controller by card text.

Is there a ruling somewhere else that states otherwise?

More
13 May 2015 17:27 #71068 by prestonp
By extension, if I have a way to have more than 1 master phase action, if I play Malkavian Dementia to steal a vampire and then auction him, I assume that that is for permanent control. Correct?

More
13 May 2015 17:30 #71069 by jamesatzephyr

Parmenides wording breaks that effect. You only have control of him until his original controllers next untap phase. Even if you auction him off, he returns to his original controller by card text.

That's the same with pretty much all temporary control effects - they last until a certain time, and then expire.

Is there a ruling somewhere else that states otherwise?

Yes.

[LSJ 20010330]

> You can use Malkavian Time Auction to auction off "a card you control". I
> presume that even if this is a card you temporarily control (e.g. thru Mind
> Rape, Temptation, or Malkavian Dementia), the new owner will take permanent
> control of this card.
>
> Could someone confirm or deny this??

Confirmed.
Any change of permanent control effective terminates all lingering temporary
control effects.
The new permanent controller takes undisputed permanent control.

More
13 May 2015 17:31 #71070 by jamesatzephyr

By extension, if I have a way to have more than 1 master phase action, if I play Malkavian Dementia to steal a vampire and then auction him, I assume that that is for permanent control. Correct?

Yes, and the temporary control effect of the Malkavian Dementia is terminated by the permanent change of control.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds