file first strike and enviromental damage

12 Jul 2015 01:58 #72008 by Nac
hi

how do first strike and enviromental damage work? Some of it is made during strike resolution, if your strike does not resolve, your damage is lost?

Only usable before range is chosen.
Animalism The opposing minion takes 1R damage each round of combat during strike resolution. A vampire can play only one Carrion Crows each combat.
Animalism As above, but for 2R damage.

Many thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2015 02:08 #72010 by ruiza97
The opposing vamp could dodge the strike but still take the environmental damage. If the opposing vamp Strike: Combat Ends, the opposing vamp takes no damage from strike nor environmental damage, as there is no strike resolution phase.

Prince of Dallas
Toreador Grand Ball: Dallas
August 13, 2022

More
12 Jul 2015 04:37 - 12 Jul 2015 04:37 #72011 by jamesatzephyr

hi

how do first strike and enviromental damage work? Some of it is made during strike resolution, if your strike does not resolve, your damage is lost?

Roughly speaking, strike resolution looks like this:

a) Strike: Combat Ends. If either minion plays S:CE, end combat. Do not go any further down this list. Anything timed to go off in later steps is lost.

Dodge will protect the Dodger from offensive elements of the S:CE, such as the damage from Catatonic Fear . It won't, however, prevent the combat ending - just effects that target the Dodger. (If I play Dodge and you play inferior Meld with the Land , I don't untap - the Dodge "protects" me from that offensive effect targeting me.)

b) First strike. For example, Muddled Vampire Hunter's strike. Resolve that now.

If the resolution of the first strike(s) is that one of the combatants is no longer ready - having been sent to torpor, burned etc. - then combat ends. Anything timed to go off in the next step is lost.

Dodge will protect the dodger from strikes dealt during First Strike.

If both minions strike with first strike, resolve their strikes simultaneously, as you normally would in normal strike resolution.

You can face environmental damage during First Strike, but it's relatively rare. For example, if I play Blood of Acid and you hit me with First Strike, the retaliatory, environmental Blood of Acid damage is dealt before moving on. [LSJ 20011207]

c) Normal strike resolution. This includes most minions' normal strikes that haven't already been handled. It also includes various "during strike resolution" effects, such as the environmental damage from Carrion Crows, Wolf Companion or Ghoul Retainer. There's nothing inherent about environmental damage that means it has to be dealt in this step, it's just that almost all sources of it are.

Handle the strikes and any other effects (Crows, Wolves etc.) simultaneously.

Dodge protects the dodger from strikes. It doesn't protect the dodger from things that aren't strikes, such as the environmental damage from Crows, Wolves etc.
Last edit: 12 Jul 2015 04:37 by jamesatzephyr.

More
12 Jul 2015 07:31 #72014 by Ankha

Animalism The opposing minion takes 1R damage each round of combat during strike resolution.

To make it brief: "during strike resolution" means "during normal strike resolution" (which happens after First strike resolution).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
12 Jul 2015 09:41 #72016 by TwoRazorReign

Some of it is made during strike resolution, if your strike does not resolve, your damage is lost?

Not sure anybody answered your question directly. They're saying yes, the environmental damage is lost.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds