file Couple of questions

05 Oct 2015 21:59 #73516 by Nac
Couple of questions was created by Nac
Hi

1) Who controls Life boon? I mean, if i play life boon on someone and then he dies, is it removed from game or goes into my discard pile?

2) How does Undead Persistence work? You play one and you can't go into torpor by normal damage or you have to play one each time you'd go into torpor? (the whole wounded vs normal damage was very hard to understand, I'm glad it happened in a casual game because it would have been very tough to rule)

Many thanks in advance

Life Boon
Library
Master: out-of-turn. Boon
Give pool to a Methuselah with no pool to keep him or her in the game; put this card in play. During each of his or her untap phases, you can collect 1 pool from that Methuselah. The first victory point that the Methuselah wins is given to you (unless you are ousted by then). This Life Boon is then burned.

undead persistence

Fortitude Only usable when this vampire should go into torpor. This vampire gets an optional press and will not go to torpor until combat ends (although he or she is still considered wounded and can be burned as normal). If three rounds of combat pass with no cards played, combat ends. This vampire is sent into torpor after combat.
Fortitude Prevent 2 damage.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2015 06:07 - 06 Oct 2015 06:12 #73520 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Couple of questions

1) Who controls Life boon? I mean, if i play life boon on someone and then he dies, is it removed from game or goes into my discard pile?

"Give pool to a Methuselah with no pool to keep him or her in the game; put this card in play."

"Put this card in play" means you put it in play under your control since you play it. You don't play it "on" someone.
If the Methuselah you gave pool to is ousted, the card stays in play with no effect.

2) How does Undead Persistence work? You play one and you can't go into torpor by normal damage or you have to play one each time you'd go into torpor?

Basically, Undead Persistence says "the vampire will not go to torpor until combat ends". Typically, you go to torpor when taking too much normal damage, taking at least 1 aggravated damage, or being affected by some cards (eg. Coma) that sends you to torpor. As you can see, it's not necessarily related to being wounded.

Nevertheless, if your vampire is wounded, he doesn't go to torpor thanks to Undead Persistence but he can still be burned with aggravated damage for instance.

(the whole wounded vs normal damage was very hard to understand, I'm glad it happened in a casual game because it would have been very tough to rule)

See section 6.4.6 of the rulebook:

For each point of damage inflicted on a vampire, he must burn one blood to heal the damage. A vampire can burn all of his blood if needed, and doing so does not have any other negative effects on the vampire. If a vampire cannot heal all the damage (i.e., more damage is inflicted than he has blood with which to heal), he burns blood to heal what damage he can, and the unhealed damage leaves him wounded. A wounded vampire is moved to torpor after the remaining damage is handled (see Torpor, sec. 6.5).
Some damage is described as aggravated damage, such as damage from fire or sunlight or from the claws or fangs of some other immortal creatures, including some vampires. Aggravated damage differs from normal damage in two ways: Aggravated damage cannot be healed, and aggravated damage can burn a vampire if that vampire is already wounded. Aggravated damage is damage that a vampire cannot heal. Since it cannot be healed, the vampire doesn't burn any blood to heal it, but instead becomes wounded (unless the damage is prevented, of course).
Aggravated damage done to a wounded vampire can burn the vampire outright. A wounded vampire is one that has taken damage that he failed to heal or one that is in torpor or on his way to torpor. For each point of aggravated damage that is successfully inflicted on a wounded vampire, he must burn a blood to prevent his destruction. If he doesn't have enough blood, he is burned. Destruction by this method does not constitute diablerie (see Diablerie, sec. 6.5.5).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 06 Oct 2015 06:12 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nac

More
06 Oct 2015 16:36 #73531 by jamesatzephyr

Typically, you go to torpor when taking too much normal damage, taking at least 1 aggravated damage, or being affected by some cards (eg. Coma) that sends you to torpor. As you can see, it's not necessarily related to being wounded.

It is related to being wounded - being subject to any sort of "go to torpor" effect makes you wounded, whether from taking excess damage, from a point of agg damage, or from explicit card text (e.g. Coma, Rowan Ring, Entombment etc.). This is important, because wounded vampires handle a point of agg damage differently to unwounded vampire. For example, you are on zero blood. I hit you with Rowan Ring (go to torpor) and a point of agg damage in the same strike resolution phase - say, a Dawn Operation Carrion Crows, or a Ghoul Retainer with an agg damage weapon. The Rowan Ring makes you wounded. You then handle the point of agg damage. Since you are already wounded, you must burn a blood to prevent destruction - but since you're empty (in this example), you burn.

See, for example, these examples by some guy called Ankha .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blooded Sand

More
07 Oct 2015 04:03 - 07 Oct 2015 04:28 #73536 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Couple of questions
Thanks, I was unclear.

Being wounded by damage or other effects sends you to torpor.

If a vampire cannot heal all the damage (i.e., more damage is inflicted than he has blood with which to heal), he burns blood to heal what damage he can, and the unhealed damage leaves him wounded. A wounded vampire is moved to torpor after the remaining damage is handled (see Torpor, sec. 6.5).

groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/N7iEmqgP9WU/oqgV9lMwQRcJ

A vampire who is wounded (torporized by some effect, like aggravated damage,
that he fails to prevent or cancel) but who plays Undead Persistence to
avoid going to torpor immediately is still wounded.

But also the reverse: Going to torpor makes you "wounded".

Wounded: A vampire who has received damage that he has not healed or a vampire in torpor or on his way to torpor is said to be wounded.

So both "being wounded" and "send to torpor" are equivalent.

However you're send to torpor/being wounded, Undead Persistence will keep you ready (but still wounded).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 07 Oct 2015 04:28 by Ankha.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds