file Can you use Bollix [tha] as defense against long range strike?

18 Sep 2016 13:04 #78364 by jamesatzephyr

There is no such ruling for short range strikes being used at long range.

Err, what?

Unless the strike is identified as ranged or does "R" damage (or is a defensive strike such as dodge or combat ends), it is only effective at close range.

Close range strike, only effective when used at close range. Not effective at long range.

It is actually on you to prove that the defensive part of the card is negated by being at long range, which it is not.

That's already been proved by the Dodge ruling.

A dodge will protect from the opponent the anti-weapon text of Soul Burn (and by extension, Bollix). That only happens if it's an effect being launched at the opponent. Thus, not defensive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2016 12:09 #78382 by XZealot
I know a dodge will protect someone from Bollix.

What are you talking about?

I am saying that the anti-weapon part of Bollix is still effective at long range. Is that what you are saying?

More
19 Sep 2016 13:05 #78384 by jamesatzephyr

I am saying that the anti-weapon part of Bollix is still effective at long range. Is that what you are saying?

No, that's not what I'm saying, because it's not effective at long range.

1) The anti-weapon text is an offensive part of the strike. We know this because it can be dodged. That is why the dodge ruling is still relevant. It is not a defensive strike. It may have an outcome that 'protects' you from damage you don't want, but the same would true of a Destroy Equipment With First Strike (or Steal Equipment With First Strike) card, and those aren't defensive either - even though the end result might be that you end up not taking the damage from a gun.

2) Strikes that aren't defensive strikes (like Dodge and S:CE) are ineffective at long range by default. This can be overcome by card text, such as "ranged" or "usable at long range" or "1R damage" etc. Bollix lacks this text, so by default its abilities are only effective at close range.

Thus, neither part of Bollix takes effect at long range - the hand strike isn't ranged damage, and the anti-weapon effect isn't a ranged effect.

More
10 Oct 2016 19:37 #78641 by BogusMagus
Sorry, I had forgotten to comment.

Thank you, jamesatzephyr.
And I thank you too, XZealot.

More
23 Aug 2023 10:19 #109132 by Ankha

Then, since Bollix isn't a ranged strike, it doesn't take effect at close range. 6.4.3: "Unless the strike is identified as ranged or does "R" damage (or is a defensive strike such as dodge or combat ends), it is only effective at close range."

(Dodge and Combat Ends are explicitly said to be effective at any range, 6.4.5.)

Correct.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
23 Aug 2023 12:14 #109136 by alf
Zombie posts rising again?
Ugh ...

<INSERT CLEVER QUOTATION HERE>

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds