file Eyes of Blades with a Blood Shield

26 Jan 2017 21:24 #80405 by Lead
So I was trying to dust off, metaphorically, some underused cards on Lackey and I arrived at putting Eyes of Blades and Blood Shield both in the same deck. How do they interact?

Can I choose to prevent damage from the opposing minion and then the rest of the damage has no effect? Or does 'having no effect' mean that I cannot prevent it? Similarly, could a vamp cycle fortitude prevent cards while under the protection of Eyes of Blades or could they not since there is no effect from strikes and retainers? If the vamp was immune (from some other effect, like Ex Nihilo), then I am sure they could prevent damage before immunity kicks in, so my initial thought is that it follows that pattern, but I am open to it being resolved differently.

Blood Shield
[Equipment] Equipment
[Osebo] Osebo
[2 Pool]
Unique equipment.
The minion with this equipment may prevent 1 damage from an opposing minion's strike each round. If used to prevent damage from a hand strike made by a vampire with capacity 6 or less, that vampire burns 2 blood.

Eyes of Blades
[Combat] Combat
[Auspex] Auspex & [Celerity] Celerity
Do not replace until your untap phase.
[aus] [cel] Strike: dodge, and this vampire may prevent 1 damage from a retainer.
[AUS] [CEL] Only usable before range is determined. This round, this vampire cannot strike, and strikes and damage from retainers have no effect on this vampire and any non-retainer cards on him or her.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2017 21:43 #80406 by jamesatzephyr

Can I choose to prevent damage from the opposing minion and then the rest of the damage has no effect? Or does 'having no effect' mean that I cannot prevent it?

If damage was inflicted that you could prevent, that wouldn't really be having "no effect".

Similar text exists on Gemini's Mirror:
Only usable before range is determined. For each strike made against this vampire, flip a coin. If it's tails, the strike has no effect on this vampire.

[LSJ 20031118]

> and if the range was close and he played that Catatonic fear?

Ends combat. No damage is done if tails is flipped (or
if range is long).

Combat ends still because that isn't 'against' the vampire (text on Gemini's Mirror). But if you get the "no effect on this vampire" on the CF damage, then no damage is done.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds