file Correct way to play +strength equipment.

05 Feb 2017 22:36 - 05 Feb 2017 22:39 #80583 by 1muflon1
Hi guys,

I have a question about a correct way of playing weapons that increase strength together with cards that permit only hand strikes (such as immortal grapple) or increase strength (like undead strength) or general with combat cards that have things to do with a hand strike.

Now, I know that normally strike with a weapon does not count as hand strike, but at the same time, I know that if there are cards that only say they increase the minion's strength (such as heroic might) add damage to hand strike, but I am confused about some weapons.

The reason why I am a bit confused is that some weapons have card text

"strike: +1strenght" like Argent Baton or "+1strenght as strike.." as the crimson sentinel

But then there are weapons that have different card text like:

Meat Cleaver: "Strength+1 damage each strike."

This seems to me as if the weapon would increase the minion hand strike by +1 strength, but the strike itself still counted as a handstrike.

Thanks in advance for clarification :)
Last edit: 05 Feb 2017 22:39 by 1muflon1.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2017 23:46 #80584 by chrisn101
It's a frequently asked question, because combat and equipment has evolved a fair bit over the years. Basically, Strength is the 'base attack' of the minion. Hand strikes usually use that base strength to determine the hand strike damage, but certain disciplines like Protean enhance it by inflicting aggravated damage. Melee weapons strikes generally impart a bonus to the base attack, usually an additional point, and may have additional effects, but can't be used during an Immortal Grapple.

This might be helpful, it's from the FAQ written by The Lasombra :
3.16 What does "Hand Strike" mean?
Immortal Grapple restricts both minions in the combat to only using "hand strikes". What is a "hand strike" and what is not?

A "hand strike" is any non-ranged, non-weapon strike that deals damage based on the striking minion's strength.

Example 1: Song in the Dark is not a "hand strike" because it doesn't do damage based on a minion's strength.
Example 2: Burning Wrath is a "hand strike" because it does damage based on the minion's strength.
Example 3: The default strike from a Muddled Vampire Hunter is a "hand strike" because it is a non-ranged damage-dealing innate strike.
Example 4: No strike that says "Dodge" or "Combat Ends" is a "hand strike".

As far as I can remember, the only melee weapon that also counts as a hand strike is Bundi .

Hope that helps :-)

More
05 Feb 2017 23:49 #80585 by 1muflon1
And is it possible to use bundi together with another card? or does it counts as a strike?

More
06 Feb 2017 07:10 - 06 Feb 2017 07:11 #80589 by Ankha

The reason why I am a bit confused is that some weapons have card text

"strike: +1strenght" like Argent Baton or "+1strenght as strike.." as the crimson sentinel

But then there are weapons that have different card text like:

Meat Cleaver: "Strength+1 damage each strike."

Meat Cleaver's text must be read as "Strike: strength+1 damage". It will be updated.

The way you must read the card is: "The melee weapon provides a strike, therefore it's a melee weapon strike. It's based on the minion's strength (so if you play Torn Signpost to get a strength of 3, it will increase the damage of this strike), and adds 1 to the total damage."

And is it possible to use bundi together with another card? or does it counts as a strike?

In any case, ou can play cards such as Torn Signpost that increase your strength (without being connected to a strike).

Bundi
Cardtype: Equipment
Cost: 2 pool
Melee weapon.
Strike: hand strike at +1 damage. (This strike is both a hand strike and a melee weapon strike). Bearer may prevent 1 damage from each melee weapon strike made against him or her.

So the weapon provides a melee weapon strike that counts as a hand strike as well. But it's a melee weapon strike in the first place, so the only cards you could play are cards such as Undead Strenght that let you use a melee weapon strike.

Name: Undead Strength
Cardtype: Combat
Discipline: Potence
[pot] Strike: hand strike or use a melee weapon strike. This strike is at +1 damage.
[POT] Strike: hand strike or use a melee weapon strike. This strike is at +2 damage.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 06 Feb 2017 07:11 by Ankha.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds