file Still confused about multiple Outside the Hourglasses

29 Sep 2017 14:44 #83676 by Nikolaj
Nikolaj created the topic: Still confused about multiple Outside the Hourglasses
Hi,
We went through the discussions we could find on this on the old google group and the more recent one of this forum, but it isnt clear what the conclusion is regarding this scenario.

Vampire A is acting. Vampire B is blocking. A plays Domain of Evernight, then plays Outside the Hourglass before range on of the first round of combat.
Can vampire B play his own copy of Outside the Hourglass BEFORE dealing with the incoming aggravated damage or can he play it and the the damage resolves for both A and B afterwards?

This thread from 2010 went a bit back and forth it seems groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/Itzely9s_pc

This thread from 2016 also went back and forth I think because of a misunderstanding, but seemed to end in an open debate and some suggestions.
www.vekn.net/forum/rules-questions/75275-before-range-is-determined

What is the official answer if there is one?

(Sorry, I wanted to include the card texts but on my phone and I couldnt find them, other than ehat is in the threads).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2017 08:49 - 30 Sep 2017 08:55 #83682 by Ankha
Ankha replied the topic: Still confused about multiple Outside the Hourglasses

Nikolaj wrote: Vampire A is acting. Vampire B is blocking. A plays Domain of Evernight, then plays Outside the Hourglass before range on of the first round of combat.
Can vampire B play his own copy of Outside the Hourglass BEFORE dealing with the incoming aggravated damage or can he play it and the the damage resolves for both A and B afterwards?

The is the official answer: Yes. A and B can play any number of cards or effects before resolving the damage, including another Outside the Hourglass. Here's a few examples:

1: B can play Outside the Hourglass to inflict 2 damage to A. In that case, A and B have each 2 points of damage to handle. The damage prevention steps of A and B's damage are merged together (the same way as the damage of strikes).

2: B can play a Torn Signpost, an Aura Reading, lock the Barrens to discard and draw a card before preventing the damage with a Skin of Rock.

If we compare Weather Control and Outside the Hourglass:

Weather Control's damage can be applied after other effects are played.: A plays WC, then Torn Signpost, then decide to apply WC's damage. Outside the Hourglass immediately opens a prevention window
A can't pass before applying the damage of Weather Control (which opens a prevention window)
Weather Control's damage is "environmental". Outside the Hourglass' damage is dealt by the minion.

Both cards are very similar otherwise.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last Edit: 30 Sep 2017 08:55 by Ankha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: Ankha
Time to create page: 0.327 seconds