file Daemonic Possession

04 Oct 2018 08:45 #90964 by beslin igor
Daemonic Possession

Action, 2 blood, Necromancy,

Only usable if a minion controlled by another Methuselah has been burned since your last turn.
[nec] Move that minion from his owner's ash heap to your ready region with 1 blood or life, and lock them.
[NEC] As above, but do not lock the minion.

I have 2 questions about this card.
Q1: is that D action?
Q2: what exactly does it mean:since your last turn. can be next action my current turn,and if that minion is burned during me last action this turn can I play Daemonic Possession vs him in my next turn? Of course, it's assumed that if it is burned between my 2 turns(in any other turn) I can play Daemonic Possession vs him.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2018 09:02 #90965 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Daemonic Possession

I have 2 questions about this card.
Q1: is that D action?

No.

www.vekn.net/general-rulings
Actions which target another player's hand, uncontrolled region, crypt, or library (or cards therein) are directed at that player. (Actions which target another player's ash heap are undirected by default). [LSJ 20010924] [LSJ 20010926]

Q2: what exactly does it mean:since your last turn.

Everything that's happened since you last ended your turn, up to the present moment. So in the situation where there are five players, and it just goes round the table:

1: Your turn (your last turn)
2: B's turn
3: C's turn
4: D's turn
5: E's turn
6: Your turn again

During your turn in 6, you can use it to bring back a minion who was burned during 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6. But not anything that happened in 1 or earlier.

If you act out-of-turn - say you have Enkil Cog or something - and you were acting during, for example, D's turn (4), you could use it to bring back a minion who was burned during 2, 3 or 4.

can be next action my current turn,and if that minion is burned during me last action this turn can I play Daemonic Possession vs him in my next turn?

If it's burned during an action in your turn, you can Daemonic Possession it during the same turn - because that is still 'since your last turn'. If you burn it during one turn (1, above), you can't get it back during your next turn (6, above).

[LSJ 20020429]

> Compel the Spirit, Daemonic Possession and Resurrection specifically
> apply to cards that have been burned "since your last turn." If the
> card you wish to affect burns on your own turn, can you Compel/etc it on
> the same turn, on your next turn, both or neither?

Same.

The current (same) turn is "since your last turn."
Your next turn won't qualify.

The following user(s) said Thank You: beslin igor

More
05 Oct 2018 08:39 #90980 by Snodig
Replied by Snodig on topic Daemonic Possession
How is this not a (D) action?
Isn’t the ash heap part of what the player controls? Are actions against uncontrolled regions (if any exist?), libraries or crypts then also not (D)-actions?

More
05 Oct 2018 10:00 #90981 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Daemonic Possession

How is this not a (D) action?
Isn’t the ash heap part of what the player controls? Are actions against uncontrolled regions (if any exist?), libraries or crypts then also not (D)-actions?

Read again the general ruling James quoted.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
05 Oct 2018 11:18 - 05 Oct 2018 11:26 #90982 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Daemonic Possession
It was for me a somewhat surprising ruling, though it wasn't clearly "wrong" in the sense that nothing had really had any bearing on the issue so it was largely up to LSJ to pick an outcome.

I wouldn't personally have any objections to it being overturned for consistency - in broad terms, everything 'over there' belonging to that player and so targeting it is targeting that player, and hence (D) - but as with any ruling change, there is a communication overhead. Probably not a huge one in this case, as my experience is that most players' instincts are that the ash heap should be a (D) target, but still one nonetheless.
Last edit: 05 Oct 2018 11:26 by jamesatzephyr.

More
05 Oct 2018 14:32 #90987 by ReverendRevolver

It was for me a somewhat surprising ruling, though it wasn't clearly "wrong" in the sense that nothing had really had any bearing on the issue so it was largely up to LSJ to pick an outcome.

I wouldn't personally have any objections to it being overturned for consistency - in broad terms, everything 'over there' belonging to that player and so targeting it is targeting that player, and hence (D) - but as with any ruling change, there is a communication overhead. Probably not a huge one in this case, as my experience is that most players' instincts are that the ash heap should be a (D) target, but still one nonetheless.

I agree in principle, but I've NEVER had it come up in game.
Other than Daemonic possession, there's like vultures buffet, the nagaraja hunt action, and two steal equipment from ash heap :tem: & :nec: .
I didn't verify this, but I recall filchwares specifically stating undirected, so I'm not sure it's super relevant to most games.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds