question-circle Difference between Methuselah and Vampire using the Edge

09 Oct 2018 03:52 - 09 Oct 2018 03:54 #91057 by Viper
Hi,

I have following doubt about using the edge for effects. I will give the following examples:

Victorine Lafourcade.
Camarilla Prince of Atlanta: When a vampire with capacity 4 or less is bleeding you, you can burn the Edge to have the action fail. Victorine gets 1 optional press each combat.

Eric Kressida.
Sabbat bishop: If Eric is in torpor during another Methuselah's discard phase, he can burn the Edge to move to your ready region.

In Victorine's case, the card says that YOU (the methuselah) burns the edge to have the bleed action fail, whether in Eric's case it says that HE (the vampire) burns the edge to leave torpor.

So, A ) does the edge have to be in my control for the vampire to be able to burn it? Or B ) can the vampire burn the edge wherever is located.

I am inclined towards B ). Because, otherwise, the card would state that YOU (the mehtuselah) can burn the edge to move Eric to the ready region.

Appreciate your input. Thanks!
Last edit: 09 Oct 2018 03:54 by Viper. Reason: spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2018 10:13 #91064 by Malachy
Usually before such questions it is advised to read the always up-to-date card texts in this site :)

If you do, you come across Eric this way:

Name: Eric Kressida
[Third:V]
Cardtype: Vampire
Clan: Tremere antitribu
Group: 4
Capacity: 8
Discipline: cel AUS DOM PRO THA
Sabbat bishop: If Eric is in torpor during any other Methuselah's discard phase, you may burn the Edge to move him to your ready region.
Artist: Jeff Holt

VtES card text can be messy, especially this way, so the crew presently on board are trying his best to rectify these inconsistencies. :)

NC of Hungary

///
The following user(s) said Thank You: Viper

More
10 Oct 2018 06:15 - 10 Oct 2018 06:19 #91119 by Ankha

Usually before such questions it is advised to read the always up-to-date card texts in this site :)

He is quoting the revised text.

Your minions have access to your resources:
- a minion you control can burn the Edge you control
- a minion you control can discard a card from your hand
- a minion you control can burn a location you control (Osric)
- a minion you control can burn the top cards of your library
etc.

Of course, they don't have access to the resource of your other minions (A can't burn blood from B to pay a cost for instance)

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 10 Oct 2018 06:19 by Ankha.

More
10 Oct 2018 06:23 #91120 by Ankha

So, A ) does the edge have to be in my control for the vampire to be able to burn it? Or B ) can the vampire burn the edge wherever is located.

I am inclined towards B ). Because, otherwise, the card would state that YOU (the mehtuselah) can burn the edge to move Eric to the ready region.

A) It doesn't matter if it's you or one of your minion who is burning the Edge. The important part is that the Edge is burned to pay a cost. You can't pay costs with other player's resources (unless it's explicitely written).

If you want an analogy, you can't pay yourself a beer with the someone else's money.

Prince of Paris, France

More
10 Oct 2018 06:25 #91121 by Ankha
That makes me think that Set's Curse is badly worded, since you burn "Burn an ally or retainer" to put the card in play. It should say "controlled by any Methuselah".

Prince of Paris, France

More
10 Oct 2018 12:50 #91131 by Snodig

That makes me think that Set's Curse is badly worded, since you burn "Burn an ally or retainer" to put the card in play. It should say "controlled by any Methuselah".

I honestly wouldn’t have known without being told.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds