file Delaying Tactics on a card not played from hand

30 May 2020 14:06 #99979 by lip
Multiple rulings exist on playing Delaying Tactics on political actions cards not played from hand:
  • If Charming Lobby was used, the Political Action returns to its owner's hand [LSJ 20030426]
  • If The Erciyes Fragments was used, the Political Action returns to its owner's hand [LSJ 20050322]
  • If Bujo is used, the card is not retrieved. [LSJ 20100527]

Do the three rulings still apply ?

If they do, why the difference and how does it apply to other cards that let you play political actions cards "non normally" ?

Delaying Tactics

Charming Lobby

The Erciyes Fragments

Bujo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2020 16:20 #99980 by kschaefer
There was a card text migration for Delaying Tactics around the KMW/Legacies time frame, which changed "back to his or her hand" to "returned to the owner's hand."

So, the Charming Lobby and Erciyes Fragments simply predate that text migration and the ruling are effectively moot, as they simply restate the now current card text. It's Ankha's show, but in my mind, I'd remove the rulings because they simply reiterate the current card text.

Bujo is simply different than the others as it never plays the card (Bujo chooses), so there's nothing to take back into hand. It seems clear that this ruling still has value because of the non-standard interaction caused by Bujo.

More
31 May 2020 04:50 #99982 by lip
Thanks for the additional information !

The point on Bujo text is clear, it is still a bit strange as both cards have such a close effect, so I would not mind a confirmation.

In the mean time I'll add the ruling to Bujo then.

More
31 May 2020 08:16 #99985 by Ankha

There was a card text migration for Delaying Tactics around the KMW/Legacies time frame, which changed "back to his or her hand" to "returned to the owner's hand."

So, the Charming Lobby and Erciyes Fragments simply predate that text migration and the ruling are effectively moot, as they simply restate the now current card text. It's Ankha's show, but in my mind, I'd remove the rulings because they simply reiterate the current card text.

Bujo is simply different than the others as it never plays the card (Bujo chooses), so there's nothing to take back into hand. It seems clear that this ruling still has value because of the non-standard interaction caused by Bujo.

Correct.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds