file Blood of Water timing before strike resolution

03 Jul 2020 06:12 #100236 by Ankha
From www.facebook.com/groups/512493665865136/permalink/923951794719319/

Mark Jasper:

"Trying to understand how Blood to Water works. I know it is not a strike and is only playable after range is determined (at close only) before strike resolution. But does strike resolution include choosing a strike? Anyway, it says you can only play it before strike resolution (after range determined to be close, ofc) so does that mean you can play it before or during strike declaration? If my minion is opposing the acting minion, can i play Blood to Water before or after they choose a strike that costs blood, either preventing them from being able to afford the strike, or putting them at 0 blood so they couldn't afford a prevent card that costs blood, etc.?
Blood to Water
[AH:C2, CE:C/PTr]
Cardtype: Combat
Cost: 2 blood
Discipline: Thaumaturgy
Only usable at close range, before strike resolution. Not usable during the first round of combat.
[tha] If the opposing minion is an ally, he or she is burned. Otherwise, the opposing vampire burns 3 blood.
[THA] Opposing vampire burns 5 blood.
Relevant text from rulebook:
"During each pair of strikes, the minions first choose their respective strikes (the acting minion first, then his opponent), and then the strikes are resolved. Strike resolution occurs simultaneously, except for a few special cases (see Strike Effects, sec 6.4.5).
Choose Strike. Each minion chooses his strike. The strike can be from a combat card, from a weapon the minion possesses, (the default) from a hand strike, or can be from any other card providing this minion a strike. If a minion has used a maneuver from a strike (either a strike card or a weapon) this round, then he cannot choose any other strike for his initial strike of the round. For additional strikes, any strike can be chosen, even if a maneuver has been used.
Resolve Strike. The effects of the strikes from both minions are resolved simultaneously...."
I even looked at this previous post about the card, and I still am unsure: www.vekn.net/forum/rules-questions/61050-blood-to-water-clarification"

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2020 06:33 #100237 by Ankha

But does strike resolution include choosing a strike?

No, strike resolution occurs after choosing the strikes.

Anyway, it says you can only play it before strike resolution (after range determined to be close, ofc) so does that mean you can play it before or during strike declaration? If my minion is opposing the acting minion, can i play Blood to Water before or after they choose a strike that costs blood, either preventing them from being able to afford the strike, or putting them at 0 blood so they couldn't afford a prevent card that costs blood, etc.?

You could play it:
  • before strikes are chosen just like Immortal Grapple,
  • when choosing your strike (either before or after), just like you could use The Barrens to try to get a strike card you need
  • after your opponent has chosen his strike (if you are acting for instance) just like Claws of the Dead or Dragon's Breath Rounds

LSJ: "It can be played any time after range is determined and before strikes resolve, and only if the range is close." (provided you have the impulse).

Relevant links:
groups.google.com/forum/?hl=fr#!msg/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/bfy3My6HBgc/_1Nj329cGDsJ
groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/JUnIGIrb3pw/EOo-cGykdmYJ

Prince of Paris, France

More
03 Jul 2020 10:28 #100240 by Sambomb
So, blood to water can make a :CEL: preternatural evasion fizzle?
Since it don't have a cost but instead have a "burn 1 blood to strike: combat ends" ?

For example
Tremere - declare strike Punch
Assamite - declare strike :CEL: preternatural evasion
Tremere - Blood to water
Strike resolution
Assamite don't have blood to burn as required to the strike, strike fizzle?
Tremere punch resolve
Assamite goes to torpor

Archbishop of Itaocara
Prince ID #510

More
03 Jul 2020 11:58 #100241 by beslin igor

Since it don't have a cost but instead have a "burn 1 blood to strike: combat ends" ?

For example
Tremere - Blood to water
Strike resolution
Tremere punch resolve
Assamite goes to torpor

I beleive you can burn blood for preternatural evasion when you play card and before tremere play Blood to wate. and beleive even if you or oposing minion play strike: combat ends you still have window to play Blood to water before combat ends resolve,right?

More
03 Jul 2020 15:21 - 03 Jul 2020 15:22 #100242 by Ankha

No. The blood must be burned in order to play the card, the same way the cost has to be paid to play a card.
The vampire burns the blood in order to play the Preternatural Evasion. If they don't have blood, they can't play the card.

At that point, the Assamite burns 1 blood to play the card and choose the strike provided by Preternatural Evasion.
The strike card resolved immediately so you can choose the strike provided by the card. The strike itself will resolve later.

Tremere - Blood to water
Strike resolution

The strike resolves normally.

It's different from a card that would say: "strike: pay 1 blood to..."

Prince of Paris, France
Last edit: 03 Jul 2020 15:22 by Ankha.

More
03 Jul 2020 15:24 #100243 by Ankha

I beleive you can burn blood for preternatural evasion when you play card

In fact, the vampire *must* burn 1 blood to play Preternatural Evasion.

and before tremere play Blood to wate. and beleive even if you or oposing minion play strike: combat ends you still have window to play Blood to water before combat ends resolve,right?

Yes, you can play Blood to Water before strike resolution. The opposing vampires burns 5 blood immediately when Blood to Water is played.

Prince of Paris, France
The following user(s) said Thank You: beslin igor

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds