file Target Vitals window to play

08 Jul 2020 19:35 #100289 by beslin igor
Target Vitals
Aim. Only usable as this minion chooses a strike. A minion can play only one aim each strike.

If any damage from this strike is successfully inflicted on the opposing minion, they take +2 damage from this strike, and they cannot press this round. They can discard two combat cards to cancel this card as it is played.

Aid from Bats
ani) Strike: 1R damage, with 1 optional maneuver.

ANI) As above, with 1 optional press.

Can I play any maneuver strike card (example Aid from Bats) and TV when use maneuvar?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2020 20:56 #100290 by self biased
I think you need to use TV after you use Aid from bats for the maneuver, because you're obligated to use the strike that came with the maneuver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kilrauko

More
08 Jul 2020 21:04 - 08 Jul 2020 21:11 #100291 by Kilrauko

Target Vitals
Aim. Only usable as this minion chooses a strike. A minion can play only one aim each strike.

If any damage from this strike is successfully inflicted on the opposing minion, they take +2 damage from this strike, and they cannot press this round. They can discard two combat cards to cancel this card as it is played.

Aid from Bats
ani) Strike: 1R damage, with 1 optional maneuver.

ANI) As above, with 1 optional press.

Can I play any maneuver strike card (example Aid from Bats) and TV when use maneuvar?

Yes. No.

6.4.2. Determine Range
To use a maneuver from a strike card, the minion plays the strike card during this phase instead of during the choose strike phase (below). If a minion uses the maneuver from a strike card or a weapon, he is effectively choosing his strike as well.

As Target Vitals has restriction "Only usable as this minion chooses a strike." and as using maneuver from a strike card or weapon means effectively choosing a strike it means the window to play it is during determine range step when the manouver is used. Trying to play it later violates the card's restriction as the strike has already been chosen by that point.

Scratch that, shouldn't jump the shark so fast.

6.4.3. Strike
During each pair of strikes, the minions first choose their respective strikes (the acting minion first, then his opponent), and then the strikes are resolved. Strike resolution occurs simultaneously, except for a few special cases (see Strike Effects, sec 6.4.5).

Choose Strike. Each minion chooses his strike. The strike can be from a combat card, from a weapon the minion possesses, (the default) from a hand strike, or can be from any other card providing this minion a strike. If a minion has used a maneuver from a strike (either a strike card or a weapon) this round, then he cannot choose any other strike for his initial strike of the round. For additional strikes, any strike can be chosen, even if a maneuver has been used.

Using the maneuver from strike "locks" the amount of possible strikes to be chosen at 6.4.3 to include only the strike that has the manouver. However the actual game effect of choosing the strike happens at 6.4.3, not during the earlier maneuver step. Hence the Aim card should not be playable during the maneuver step. Unless of course the "effectively choosing" somehow enables it as I earlier thought it did. Honestly, wait for someone to weigh in on it a bit more, I'm now leaning more to the latter 6.4.3 window for play and no for set range step usage.

Trust in Jan Pieterzoon.
Last edit: 08 Jul 2020 21:11 by Kilrauko. Reason: Jumped to conclusions

More
10 Jul 2020 08:48 - 10 Jul 2020 09:13 #100332 by lip
Replied by lip on topic Target Vitals window to play
Found a ruling about that, @Kilrauko is right:

[LSJ 20080409]

> 1/ A plays Thrown Gate to get the maneuver. Can he play an Aim card at this point ? I guess not, since the "choose strike" step is after the 6.4.2 step

Correct. He would also not declare if he was throwing the gate at the opposing minion or at one of the opposing minion's retainers at this time, either. The strike (and its target and/or aim) are not chosen until 6.4.3.

> 2/ Assuming B got back to close range then Immortal Grapple'd minion A, can A play a Target:X card for cycling purposes ? (I guess not).

Correct.

I must say the Rulebook wording is a bit confusing – I gather we should read "effectively choosing" as "not actually choosing", which is not ideal.

If a minion uses the maneuver from a strike card or a weapon, he is effectively choosing his strike as well.

should maybe be replaced by something more precise like:

If a minion uses the maneuver from a strike card or a weapon, he commits to using the strike as well.

Last edit: 10 Jul 2020 09:13 by lip. Reason: Found existing ruling
The following user(s) said Thank You: hardyrange, beslin igor, kschaefer, Kilrauko

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds