file Lucian, the Perfect (clarification)

03 Jul 2023 13:51 - 03 Jul 2023 15:32 #108538 by Ankha
This is a clarification of Lucian, the Perfect cardtext regarding strikes in different situations (minion A vs Lucian).

NB: the strike must be effective against Lucian to have its cost increased, for instance a hand strike at long range doesn't cost extra.

NB: if the strike is "modified" by Target Retainer in order to strike against a retainer, its cost is not increased.

1.a/ if A uses a strike card during the "choose strike" step to strike against Lucian, the card and the strike are the same thing, and it costs 1 more. This is subject to card cost reduction (for instance, Jan Berger playing a Roundhouse will pay 0).

1.b/ if A uses a strike provided by a card in play (a weapon for instance, or a strike provided by its own cardtext) during the "choose strike" step to strike against Lucian, the strike costs 1 more. This is not subject to card cost reduction since there's no strike card played.

1.c/ if A uses the default hand strike during the "choose strike" step to strike against Lucian, same as 1.b/

2.a/ if A uses a strike card before the "choose strike" step (eg. uses the maneuver from a Thrown Gate during the "determine range" step), the card's cost is unchanged. The vampire is committed to use the strike. During the "choose strike" step, the cost of the strike is increased by 1 if the strike is effectively made against Lucian (not a retainer on Lucian for instance). This is not subject to card cost reduction (the card, if any has been played long ago). The vampire cannot choose not to strike with it (they are committed to use it), unless they cannot pay (in which case, they "lose" their strike and cannot choose another).

2.b/ if A uses a strike provided by a card in play before the "choose strike" step (eg. uses the maneuver of a .44 Magnum during the "determine range" step), the vampire is committed to use the strike. During the "choose strike" step, using that strike costs 1 more if the strike is effectively made against Lucian (not a retainer on Lucian for instance). This is not subject to card cost reduction (no strike card has been played). The vampire cannot choose not to strike with it (they are committed to use it), unless they cannot pay (in which case, they "lose" their strike and cannot choose another).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 03 Jul 2023 15:32 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Damnans, Hakuron, self biased, Kilrauko

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2023 15:10 - 03 Jul 2023 15:12 #108543 by Timo

1.b/ if A uses a strike provided by a card in play (a weapon for instance, or a strike provided by its own cardtext) during the "choose strike" step to strike against Lucian, the strike costs 1 more. This is subject to cost reduction since there's no strike card played.

The bolded part seems off to me.

I guess it is a typo and it is NOT subject to cost reduction ?

By the way, I guess when you talk about "cost reduction", you talk about "card cost reduction" ?

If it is the case, this clarification could be made clearer by stating it. I can't found any relevant interaction right now but it could just means that I don't find it or maybe in the future, a vampire will have a text saying "strike cost him 1 less blood" or something similar.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2023 15:12 by Timo. Reason: Typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kilrauko

More
03 Jul 2023 15:32 #108544 by Ankha

1.b/ if A uses a strike provided by a card in play (a weapon for instance, or a strike provided by its own cardtext) during the "choose strike" step to strike against Lucian, the strike costs 1 more. This is subject to cost reduction since there's no strike card played.

The bolded part seems off to me.

I guess it is a typo and it is NOT subject to cost reduction ?

By the way, I guess when you talk about "cost reduction", you talk about "card cost reduction" ?

If it is the case, this clarification could be made clearer by stating it. I can't found any relevant interaction right now but it could just means that I don't find it or maybe in the future, a vampire will have a text saying "strike cost him 1 less blood" or something similar.

Correct, fixed.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds