file Site Utility

29 Mar 2011 19:05 #3004 by z6imm
Site Utility was created by z6imm
I can't help but feel that the Elder Kindred network has lost is focus, and keeps getting distracted by petty details. Please take a step back and try to look at the site and organization through my eyes as a new/returning player.. Why did I come here? Because I want to play V:TES. What am I looking for? Other people who want to play V:TES. What did I find? Well I found an application to become a prince. However I suspect there are already 1 or 2 in the city, but I can't find any means to contact them. There is an event calendar listing games and tournaments all around the world. However I am unable to find out which one is nearest me. V:TES may be my favorite card game of all time, but if I'm going to drop money just so I can play it. I am going to do it by giving cards and decks to new players before I buy airline tickets, and actual new blood is even less likely to make major travel plans for the game. New players and those who will stop playing for a period of time want local. National or worldwide at best is an afterthought. If the priority is to get players to register and prices to list their events, I would suggest changing it to giving them a reason to.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2011 19:22 #3005 by jhattara
Replied by jhattara on topic Re: Site Utility
We're working on getting the stuff back on-line as soon as possible. Please, take into account that we're all volunteers, who receive nothing more than our satisfaction and your gratitude for keeping the site up and developing.

There will be a list of registered princes available within this week. There will be a list of events organized by each individual tournament organizer. There will be a list of tournaments that you can filter by generic location. And even now you can filter the events in the Event Calendar by country and state. Not all tournaments have the correct state information, but most of them should have generic information that should tell you, where exactly they are held or how to contact the organizer.

What you might think as petty detail might be stuff other people have requested, and stuff that requires very little work to get functioning. Where as compiling the data we received from White Wolf, after they decided to drop web-support, took a considerable amount of time. And there are still lots of holes we're patching up as we go.

If you have any requests on what exactly we should do to make the site more friendly, please let us know. We will take into account all the feedback we receive.

:splat: Jussi Hattara :splat:
:vtes: Webmaster Extraordinaire :vtes:
Finnish :POT: Politics!

More
29 Mar 2011 19:33 #3006 by Dervish
Replied by Dervish on topic Re: Site Utility
In addition, www.vtes.org has a forum for playgroups around the world, it of course requires that they find us and tell us.

More evidence that your deck need not be good in order to win:
thelasombra.com/decks/twd.htm#2011tottco
:THA::OBF::OBE::PRO::CHI::ravn:

More
30 Mar 2011 13:24 #3022 by jhattara
Replied by jhattara on topic Re: Site Utility

:splat: Jussi Hattara :splat:
:vtes: Webmaster Extraordinaire :vtes:
Finnish :POT: Politics!

More
30 Mar 2011 15:58 #3033 by z6imm
Replied by z6imm on topic Re: Site Utility
I apologize if I can came off a little harsh. I realize that after work, family and the other consideration in real life the 5 minutes it took to respond to my post is deserving of my utmost gratitude and respect. I did not mean to imply that anything that had been done or is being worked on is lacking of worth or somehow not of the utmost importance. I was merely trying to suggest to take a breath and step back to look at how much you had already accomplished. I think that I may have caught a slight glimmer of the hell that the White Wolf dump has been putting you all through.

When Wizard's had abandoned the game originally 'Prince” meant the local volunteer to keep the game alive and who to contact if you wanted to play. When one is receiving a paycheck, they will put up with a great deal of tedium and aggravation to get it. When you're relying on volunteers both of these things are plague.

My issue unable to contact a local player.
-cause a) I am an impatient childe that needs to learn to wait a reasonable amount of time for my elders to respond.
-cause b) I went to the wrong location, perhaps a rode sign would prevent another from making my folly.
-cause c) The entire city has fallen into torpor, frighting but quite possible in these dark times.

My suggestion
-create a cities tree of the forum threads person A) creates a thread denoting this city they belong to and subscribing to it. Person B) checks the list and subscribing to or creates their city., and so on. Until everyone is subscribed to the city/area they live in. The threads could be moved into subcategories if the city lists get too large to be easily manageable. Clearly direct new/returning players do it this as a means of local communication. That way either every member of the city is notified when a new player says 'hi', or it is apparent that currently you are the only active member near-by due to the need to make a new thread. I think these threads could also serve as a good means to plan and promote more casual style games informing everyone that could realisticly make it on short notice without overloading the majority of us who can't, and allow focus on the event calendar to major events like regionals and conventions that would likely bring about a great deal of travel.

Just my 2 cents, I am aware that all of you have been putting a lot more effort and time into this and undoubtedly know far more about the details and problems then I.

Jussi Hattara my jaw drops at your awesomeness in assisting me. Gratitude’s.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds