file Official CSV file format change

03 Aug 2020 11:59 #100458 by Ankha
I am planning to change the format of the official CSV files to include more informations and remove some redundant ones.

If you use those files for tools etc., feel free to suggest your ideas and prepare for the change.

vtescrypt.csv
[REMOVE] Each of the individual discipline columns. They are redundant with the "Disciplines" columns.
[REMOVE] The Set column. A new file will be created to link the card, its set, and its artist for that set.
[REMOVE] The Artist column. A new file will be created to link the card, its set, and its artist for that set.

vteslib.csv
[REMOVE] The Draft column has never been used. It will be removed.

vtesartist.csv (new)
[ADD] "Id" : the id of the card (for both library and crypt cards"
[ADD] "Set": the set in which the card appear, and the quantity (1 row per set). Uses the current "SET:QTTY" format
[ADD] "Artist": the name of the artist for that set

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: lip

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2020 08:00 - 05 Aug 2020 08:21 #100473 by lip
Replied by lip on topic Official CSV file format change
Awesome news !

As a heavy user of the CSV files with the KRCG and Codex websites, I look forward to these changes, they all make a lot of sense. I'll try my best to have a compatible version available. Would it be possible to get a draft version of the new files a few days in advance to test the change ?

Just to throw some ideas here while you're at it and since you asked (feel free to ignore any of them):
  • Remove the "Requirement" column in vteslib.csv, it's incomplete (nothing in it when a card requires a sect like "Anarch" or an undefined title like "title Sabbat") and redundant with the card text. See discussion hereunder.
  • Remove the braces used in text in some places (eg. Harvest Rite "Put this card on this{} vampire. {The attached vampire gets +1 hunt.}")
  • Use different trigrams to distinguish Vision and Visceratika in vtescrypt.csv (both use [vis], vision should be [vin] or [vsn]))
  • Use the actual card name for all cards (eg. "The" at the start of the name and not at the end of it, ™ instead of (TM))
  • Use Ⓓ instead of ( D ) in the card texts.
  • Use some kind of marker for bold text in card texts.

These are all cases the Codex tries to handle automatically. The last point on bold text looks like a harder one I did not manage to get right automatically.

Finally, but that's a huge undertaking, having some kind of classifications on cards could be very useful, Amaranth already has a bunch of search criteria, but as they come from parsing card text and not actual columns, they're missing some cards. Having a "tags" column would be awesome, with information such as "provides stealth/intercept", "provides rush", "provides wake/unlock", "provides aggravated damage", "provides strength", etc.

A similar column (or additional tags in the same column) to tag cards that are intended for a specific sect would also be useful. Filtering requirements for sect is a hassle right now (you have to check sect and titles, plus parsing requirements is not very reliable). Moreover, some cards make no sense if you do not have a vampire of the intended sect, even if they have no requirement for the sect (eg. The Hungry Coyote). The "Requirement" column could be used/transformed to this effect.

Anyhow, thanks a lot for the great job on these files !

Kind Regards,
Last edit: 05 Aug 2020 08:21 by lip.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
05 Aug 2020 09:07 #100475 by Lönkka
Classification is a good idea.
In olden days it would be relatively easy to get by this in Secretlibrary since you could also search with card text.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
05 Aug 2020 10:28 #100479 by drnlmza

Remove the braces used in text in some places (eg. Harvest Rite "Put this card on this{} vampire. {The attached vampire gets +1 hunt.}")

These mark differences between the official card text and the last printed version (Harvest Rites as printed said "on this acting Sabbat vampire", for example). I personally find that information useful to have available, and, since braces aren't used for anything else, it's easy to remove programmatically if required.

Finally, but that's a huge undertaking, having some kind of classifications on cards could be very useful, Amaranth already has a bunch of search criteria, but as they come from parsing card text and not actual columns, they're missing some cards. Having a "tags" column would be awesome, with information such as "provides stealth/intercept", "provides rush", "provides wake/unlock", "provides aggravated damage", "provides strength", etc.

I think there too many judgment calls that need to be made to do this sensibly. Does a conditional card like "Judgement: Death to the Brujah" count as "provides rush"? Should "gain +1 strength if blocked" effects like "Show of Force" or "Adhocracy" count as "providing strength"? Arguments can be made for both inclusion and exclusion, and the whatever decison is made will surprise someone, and we end up with another unstatisifying and incomplete column like the current requirements one.

--
National Coordinator
South Africa

More
07 Aug 2020 16:06 #100499 by Sydnelson
Can you post a sample with modified CSV?

Fernando Cesar - Sydnelson
LackeyCCG and OCTGN VtES Mantainer

:adv: :camarilla: :vent: :obf: :pro: :tha: :DOM: :PRE: :cap8:
Prince of Rio de Janeiro

Powerbase Rio de Janeiro

More
07 Aug 2020 16:07 #100500 by Ankha
I haven't one yet, but yes, as soon as I create one.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: blackkn8

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds