file Do you play to win?

15 May 2012 00:44 #30373 by Juggernaut1981

Do you play to win?

Yes, and I'd also like to do it with something that is competitive but isn't "run-of-the-mill". I value innovation AND winning. Potentially, I end up valuing innovation more, but that's me being bitter about my recent tournament experiences.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2012 02:59 #30378 by Bell
Replied by Bell on topic Re: Do you play to win?
Absolutely and at all times. However, I may be one of the few people out there that thinks innovation might be over-rated. Is it an awesome experience to see something completely new work? Of course it is, that being said, I hold no disdain for anyone of any calibur showing up with whatever deck they think may be successful - as long as they are prepared to compete.

More
15 May 2012 04:36 #30382 by Jussi
Replied by Jussi on topic Re: Do you play to win?
I play to win whenever I sit in a table.

I don't win because of poor playing, usually by making bad decisions and sometimes because my deck has been in the losing end anyway. But that's V:tES after all.

I believe, that all players sit to table and try play to win. Everybody likes winning, after all. But V:tES is a mind game as well as CCG. That means, even if you play well and make no mistakes, there is always someone who's mistakes cost them and you the GW. And why's that? Only, because at round X you may look too strong for everybody else in the game. Other experienced players may trick inexperienced players to make mistakes or just make the mistakes themselves to keep you in short leash. And, that's ok, since if they weren't, they would not be playing to win since you would win.

No V:tES game is the same, everybody learns and most try to have fun and win at the same time.

In my point of view, Play to Win rule has been invented to get rid of table split deals, which end up one guy losing and one winning. Other than that, you can't enforce anyone to play aggressively or stupidly just by saying that they are not playing to win - there are same amount of play styles as there are players.

It's more fun to play a game of V:tES and see if you can win rather than whine about someone not trying to win just because others play differently with different types of decks.

!bruj! :CEL: :POT: :PRE: :cap6:
----
Banging trashcans, breaking windows
We'll wake you up tonight

We like the good time, we scream and shout
And that's what fun's about
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
15 May 2012 05:01 #30384 by KevinM
Replied by KevinM on topic Re: Do you play to win?

I read Sirlin's articles a long time ago. I decided he and I are radically different people.

He would still be playing a Malk'94 variant in every tournament. It's pretty clearly the most broken 2-discipline combination in the game. It largely reduces the 5 player game to a series of 1:1 duels with your prey, peppered with "I [insert Wake effect] and Deflect." Same deck, 15 times in a row at WoN, for 18 years straight.

Thank God I'm not Sirlin - it might be worse than being Sklansky.

If that's your conclusion, I don't think you comprehended Sirlin's articles. Reread them. Seriously, not trying to be flippant.

"Notice that the good players are reaching higher and higher levels of play. They found the "cheap stuff" and abused it."

"They won't find the most effective tactics and abuse them mercilessly. The good players will. The good players will find incredibly overpowering tactics and patterns."

"Doing one move or sequence over and over and over is another great way to get called cheap. This goes right to the heart of the matter: why can the scrub not defeat something so obvious and telegraphed as a single move done over and over? Is he such a poor player that he can't counter that move? And if the move is, for whatever reason, extremely difficult to counter, then wouldn't I be a fool for not using that move?"

Sounds like Darby is EXACTLY right.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017
The following user(s) said Thank You: TryDeflectingThisGrapple

More
15 May 2012 05:36 #30389 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic Re: Do you play to win?

He would still be playing a Malk'94 variant in every tournament.

How do you mean with this?

In a local meta, what is best to play is changing all the time, in a rock-bag-scissor kind of way. Or?

Going to big tournaments where you don´t know the meta is another thing. There you might go for the old and approved (Malk ´94 for example).

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
15 May 2012 06:54 #30399 by Juggernaut1981
I think Darby (the original blog) means that:

Malk '94 is powerful. Always has been, always will be because it has:

1) High Payload (Dominate tends to bleed for the most)
2) High Delivery % (Of any discipline, :OBF: tends to get its actions unblocked)
3) Strong Defence (Nobody disputes that :dom: flick is one of the strongest defences)
4) High Card Efficiency (Usually 5 cards will result in a 3+ bleed unblocked)
5) Reduced Minion Cost (:dom: allows for discounted minions via Govern the Unaligned)

So, basically, if you are ever not sure what to take to a major tournament... Grab Malk '94. If you aren't convinced, grab Weenie :DEM: and go for gold.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
The following user(s) said Thank You: TryDeflectingThisGrapple

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds