file Gift by Mr. Shy.

18 Dec 2013 05:14 #57862 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Re: Gift by Mr. Shy.
Yeah, too many very similar looking vampires wasn't that good a thing. Not bad art but just too much of the same thing.

I do suspect that he was commissioned on the last minute to do a BIG pile of cards (probably to fill for someone who didn't make it to the deadline) which would explain why the cards are so similar.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
18 Dec 2013 17:44 - 18 Dec 2013 17:49 #57866 by ReverendRevolver

Yeah, too many very similar looking vampires wasn't that good a thing. Not bad art but just too much of the same thing.

I do suspect that he was commissioned on the last minute to do a BIG pile of cards (probably to fill for someone who didn't make it to the deadline) which would explain why the cards are so similar.

I assumed that was why there are a ton of really narrow portraits. Moncada especially. Then cam and anarchs have more full upper shots that are great.
Id think using him on nossies wouldve been a good call, but oh well. Things needing wispyness he excels on.
Last edit: 18 Dec 2013 17:49 by ReverendRevolver.

More
18 Dec 2013 18:36 #57867 by AaronC
Replied by AaronC on topic Re: Gift by Mr. Shy.

I assumed that was why there are a ton of really narrow portraits. Moncada especially. Then cam and anarchs have more full upper shots that are great.
Id think using him on nossies wouldve been a good call, but oh well. Things needing wispyness he excels on.

Mr. Shy creates a wonderful atmosphere for this game of "personal horror." His people look like people who maybe aren't really people. His Nosferatu and Gangrel are sort of too pretty, though. Sebastien Goulet got advanced from fugly to Abercrombie and Finch model.

More
18 Dec 2013 18:59 #57868 by BenPeal
Replied by BenPeal on topic Re: Gift by Mr. Shy.

He did a ton of interior portraits for V:TM sourcebooks, so I think White Wolf mostly took existing pieces and put them on V:TES cards.

More
18 Dec 2013 19:15 #57869 by ReverendRevolver

Mr. Shy creates a wonderful atmosphere for this game of "personal horror." His people look like people who maybe aren't really people. His Nosferatu and Gangrel are sort of too pretty, though. Sebastien Goulet got advanced from fugly to Abercrombie and Finch model.

Thats a problem with alot of gangrel, though. I dont just mean his art, either, since una is decently animal looking. Some gangrel should be pretty ish, but id expect more Basilia for ferals and Hartmut stover for titled ones. Tidy gangrel are wierd. Nossies can in theory obfuscate themselves to a level of ugly that puts others off and boosts thier own self image, so theres room there, imo.

Shy has some great vamp art when i think on it, and some stuff that blends with itself is the opposite end of the spectrum with his stuff. Thematically appropriate always, but take Matthias: presumably a lonwr(matthias of Baath is in no books i own, who nows...) as a salubri in modern times, looks kinda unkept but still together. Muse is decnt, despite doc having less artistic cohesion than salubri in bl. Then you get several Lasombra looking like one another, and thats the least good stuff from him, again, imo.

But really, we could, mayne should, spend a thread in artistic direction of crypt cards. Its kinda late, tho, since the indy set is possibly already getting work in.....

More
18 Dec 2013 21:11 #57870 by BenPeal
Replied by BenPeal on topic Re: Gift by Mr. Shy.

But really, we could, mayne should, spend a thread in artistic direction of crypt cards. Its kinda late, tho, since the indy set is possibly already getting work in.....

We have 16 pieces for the set finished already, with 4 more being worked on. Another 7 or so cards were submitted to the Art Director for artwork as a result of Round One playtest feedback. Still plenty more artwork needed, so comments and suggestions - and artists! - are most certainly welcome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Lech, Von_Polack

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds