file New Blog - Gaming with BS

05 Mar 2016 13:03 #75793 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic New Blog - Gaming with BS

The game is supposed to be about having fun, but when you sit for an hour watching your buddies play, how much fun are you having? Maybe some, but certainly less than if you were still playing.

But while being ousted is bad, being rendered helpless is far, far worse. I personally wince when I see another player have nothing to do on their turn other than discard because their minions are all in torpor, but their predator can't oust them with their all combat deck. It's painful for me even when I'm not the one with no minions. That simply isn't a fun situation, and if it's not fun, it has no place in a game.

How being ousted is bad for the game?
If it's not a problem, what is the difference between being ousted and having a sandwich while watching the end of the game as a spectator, or simply sitting down discarding because you can't do anything that make you feel worse? (Note that in the latter case, there's still a chance that something brings you back in the game)

I'm writing an article about combat as we speak, but essentially I think that combat is a very swingy mechanic - when you take an action to rush, you might accomplish nothing, or you might utterly destroy another player's game. You won't win, you'll just make sure another player stops loses and likely stops having fun. Both from a single action! If possible, combat should be nudged into the center of this spectrum, where entering combat accomplishes something, but doesn't make other another player instantly lose.

Games should (in my opinion) focus on having you win, rather than making everybody else lose. While combat does sort of do both in VTES, it seems to err much more on the side of making others lose. But maybe that's just my weird and wacky perspective.[/quote]

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2016 01:41 #75810 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic New Blog - Gaming with BS

Being hacked to bits by combat monsters ain't no fun, but being ousted by focused voters/bleeder ain't any better either.

The whole point is that to be bled is actually better.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
06 Mar 2016 04:38 #75815 by self biased

Being hacked to bits by combat monsters ain't no fun, but being ousted by focused voters/bleeder ain't any better either.

The whole point is that to be bled is actually better.

i conditionally agree. But i'd phrase it as being ousted is better than being hamstrung with no minions, and no options but to discard and maybe play a spiteful sudden reversal or DI.

More
06 Mar 2016 06:50 #75816 by brettscho
Replied by brettscho on topic New Blog - Gaming with BS
I think we're all saying the same thing at this point.

Check out my VTES blog: Gaming with BS

I also host a google doc which separates the TWDA into clans . That means I track how often clans win, which crypt groups get used, and how many people attend events. You can access all of that info here:

More
06 Mar 2016 06:53 #75817 by Zombieking
Surely, the idea of a combat deck is to deny resources and THEN go in for the kill.

I do agree that combat decks need to build in tactics to deplete pool (army of rats, fame, tension in the ranks) to be effective in doing this. However if a combat deck immobilises a player, and in doing so hands the game to somebody else - this is poor deckbuilding &resource management on the part of the combat deck - which they will hopefully learn from and improve the ousting ability of their next deck.

If combat is causing a power void during a game, then maybe this should be addressed by other decks including more combat defence. Or introducing new card effects that interfere with combat such as:
Preventing minion damage by burning pool, discarding cards, or assets
Avoid a rush attack by redirecting the action as an unblocked bleed against yourself.
Using influence/tranfsers to heal or get torporised minions back into play if you have no ready minions in play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
06 Mar 2016 11:45 #75823 by alek
Replied by alek on topic New Blog - Gaming with BS
The only problem with combat decks is that they are harder to play very well than other archetypes. When builded and played by good player they are as good as other decks or better. Between anarch revolts, fame, tension, dragonbound, codex or weenie swarm there is more than enough ousting power for combat decks. Not to mention discipline cards for decks that packs something more than only combat cards: deep songs, presence bleeds for brujah, dominate for lasombra, hell for leather, etc.

More
07 Mar 2016 04:40 #75844 by brettscho
Replied by brettscho on topic New Blog - Gaming with BS
Hello! So with all the talk about the possibility of VTES 2.0, I decided to write an article about some of the problems I perceive with the game, as well as some potential solutions. But I promise that this will be a one-of article. Next week I'll get back to talking about the game will all know and love. Please feel free to disagree with me and voice your disagreement! I've just been enjoying the conversation, and I'd like it to continue. The forums just feel so alive these days! Excitement is good for our game. Anyways, I hope that you enjoy:

Vtes Problems and Potential Solutions

Check out my VTES blog: Gaming with BS

I also host a google doc which separates the TWDA into clans . That means I track how often clans win, which crypt groups get used, and how many people attend events. You can access all of that info here:
The following user(s) said Thank You: chrisn101

More
07 Mar 2016 07:56 #75846 by chrisn101
Replied by chrisn101 on topic New Blog - Gaming with BS
A good article highlighting the key problems very well.

When Trophy: Revered (www.secretlibrary.info/index.php?lib=1857) came out, I thought I could design a combat deck to make my prey's minions Red List (www.secretlibrary.info/index.php?lib=1456) and then gain larger bleeds through offing their minions and gaining substantial permanent bleeds (Votes required to protect my minions during the Blood Hunt), bridging one of the big problems of combat decks and avoiding pool burn if my minions go to torpor. Unfortunately you need stealth to get the Red List cards out so you're essentially left with Assamites over other combat decks using Toreador and Brujah.

Maybe one possibility is a 'Bleed at +X bleed as a D action, where X is the number of these cards' that can be added to vamps who have torpored/burnt other vamps for the first time, or would that unbalance the game further? (While useful for Brujah, perhaps overgenerous for Stealth/Bleed Lasombra decks with a few Arms of the Abyss and Entombments?).

More
07 Mar 2016 09:38 #75850 by GreyB
Replied by GreyB on topic New Blog - Gaming with BS

Hello! So with all the talk about the possibility of VTES 2.0, I decided to write an article about some of the problems I perceive with the game, as well as some potential solutions. But I promise that this will be a one-of article. Next week I'll get back to talking about the game will all know and love. Please feel free to disagree with me and voice your disagreement! I've just been enjoying the conversation, and I'd like it to continue. The forums just feel so alive these days! Excitement is good for our game. Anyways, I hope that you enjoy:

Vtes Problems and Potential Solutions

Great article, but... ;)

Blood Management: Not so sure this is a "problem". I mean some decks can work really well without a single blood management card, I believe there are even some TWD's without blood management and overall, most TWD's don't even see more than 5 cards tops dedicated to blood management. The worry about blood/pool is also a quite important aspect of the game, if you take it away, the threat is watered down.

Transfers might seem like a problem, but if you theorycraft on it long enough, taking into account new problems that arise if you replace it, you'll see that the current implementation is actually quite well though of. You simply can't adres this without a significant redesign of the game.

Card Limits That quickly turned around into card distribution ;) So not a real problem with the game mechanics.

:garg: :VIS: :POT: :FOR: :flight: -1 Strength

More
09 Mar 2016 15:18 #75893 by alek
Replied by alek on topic New Blog - Gaming with BS
Nice article. The funny thing is that while most current vtes players agree that Vtes has some mechanical problems everyone sees them differently :) For the three areas that you've mentioned (combat, blood management, card limits) I see problems only in combat and I see them differently than you. Going into details:
The Problem with Combat
I agree that combat can be swingy, but bleed for 7, well played banishment, parity shift, ancilla, sensory deprivation or a lot of other actions are swingy too. Also if the deck is really build to put vampires into torpor it usually does.
You've mentioned that cards that are counters to other effects are problematic because the winner takes all. Is it a problem? Almost all vtes mechanics are based on counters: stealth vs. intercept, damage vs. prevent, vote vs. vote, increase bleed vs. bleed reduction, etc. In many of those the winner "takes all" (action is succesfull or is blocked, referendum passes or fails). It all works really well.
Next you've said that combat needs cards that advance it's position toward prey elimination. I say there are such cards, Fame is the best example. The only thing to consider is do we need more such cards. IMO, yes, but only clan or discipline specific ones to further distinguish different strategies. Also, when everyone plays villeins/ blood dolls, etc. reducing blood on minions is advancing position toward player elimination. More on it in blood management section.
The Problem with Blood Management
There is no problem with blood management. But ... with small rule change we can do something really interesting. I really like the idea to use transfers not only to influence new vampires but also to move blood to/ from controlled ones. I think we can have very easy rule change that would solve a lot of issues:
Increase number of transfers to 5. You can use transfers to move pool to/ from uncontrolled minions (1 transfer per 1 pool, direction does not matter) or blood to/ from your pool to/ from controlled vampires (2 transfer per 1 blood). Thx to this:
1. Transfers are important whole game and managing them becomes important part of the game.
2. There is a lot more space in master slots which can be used for deck design.
3. Getting blood off vampires is significantly slower with reduces bloat.
4. Number of blood on vampires becomes more important (you don't need special cards to take it back to your pool) so burning it from minions is more direct way toward player elimination than now. This makes playing combat more efficient.
The Problem with Card Limits
There is no problem with card limit. It's the opposite. Lack of card limit is one of the strongest merits of VTES. The only thing that card limit do is limiting creativity. It's not increasing diversity it's limiting it. F.e. you want to have 8 guns in your deck and there are only two gun cards (let's say it's .44 and sniper rifle). To make things easier let's assume there is 4 card limit. With this every deck that needs 8 guns will play exacly the same package - 4 of each gun. Great diversity! Without card limit you can choose if you want to play 4-4, 8-0, 2-6 or any other combination dependenging on what effect you want to achieve. You want to be 100% defensive you will go for only sniper rifles. You want to be more active -> you will put more .44. And ... quess what. You can play more than 8 guns in your deck!
Next thing is distibution. I see no problem here. In LCG model it's only matter of how you design your final product. No one said that you need to put 1/2/3/4 of every card in the box. You can put only one ventrue HQ or Ancient Influence but 5,6 or more governs, kines, etc. Than you can design expansions for different strategies/ disciplines/ clans. Depending on what strategies the players want to explore they will buy such expansion. F.e. expansion "Masters of Diplomacy" will include some non-basic vote cards which are not part of basic set and even more KRCs. If you want to build a deck with 10 KRCs and there is "only" 5 in basic set you will buy this and your problem is solved. This way you can have no limits in deck design (which is HUUUGE advantage and very strong distinguish factor on the market) and no problems with distribution.
The following user(s) said Thank You: self biased

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds