Greetings fellow Methuselah
Hot, hot, hot! That is the state of many or our crypts these days, and so is also the state of the Eternal Struggle. I am currently frying eggs for my hungry ghouls on my iron coffin lid, and at the same time I am taking inventory of all the new Methuselahs active in my vincity, both younglings and re-awoken old frenemies. I notice a strange influx of Harbingers of Skulls, those otherwise so scarce and reclusive necromancers are suddenly plenty, accompanied by various wraiths. I guess that´s the only company they can get, ugly and foul-smelling as they are …
REMINDER: OFFICIAL RULES CHANGES
Rules Director Vincent Ripoll recently announced a batch of rules changes, this time associated with the Heirs to the Blood cards. As usual you can check out the summary in the PDF or read the full RTR at https://www.blackchantry.com/2018/07/18/rules-team-rulings-rtr-19-07-2018/.
These changes will be in effect as of August 18, 2018.
Ask questions about the changes by posting a topic about the specific rule or card on the VEKN.net forum, under “Rules Questions”.
REMINDER: EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS 2018 IN WARSAW AUGUST 24-26
We really want you to attend the EC this year - the game is back in print and lots of old, new and returning players will gather to discern who is the mightiest Methuselah. The venue is the fantastic Warsaw Plaza Hotel and the schedule is:
Friday: LCQ Tournament (5 finalists will advance to day 2 of EC)
Saturday: EC Open Day One (Open event)
Sunday: EC Day 2 and Polish International Nationals (Open event)
Get all the details at www.ec2018.pl
BLACK CHANTRY SUMMARY: JULY 2018
• Two new products are now available on DriveThruCards.com: Heirs of the Blood reprint bundle 1 and 2, each with 120 cards previously published in the original Heirs to the Blood set in 2010. Focus are twelve bloodlines, but included are also some generic cards, for example Cavalier, Dabbler and Wider View. Check out each product page to see a complete list of the content of each bundle. This release means currently five products are available on DriveThruCards.com:
- Lost Kindred bundle
- Keepers of Tradition Reprint Bundle 1
- Keepers of Tradition Reprint Bundle 2
- Heirs of the Blood Reprint Bundle 1
- Heirs of the Blood Reprint Bundle 2
• One Rules Team Rulings were published this month – see above in this newsletter!
• Ginés, Henrik and Vincent from Black Chantry visited Finland and played VEG Helsinki 2018 on July 28. The trio was interviewed on video – check it out at Ropecons Youtube-page. Not only was this a perfectly organised tournament, it was also a weekend of great socializing and many fun casual games. Thanks to all attendees, and special thanks to Janne, Petri, Otso and Noora!
• Early this month, a work description/Lost Kindred favorites article were published.
• Black Chantry are working on non-US printing and distribution - most likely the first of these European printed products will be available for purchase late August. More details about that will follow.
• Many future releases are planned, but stating any dates is not worth doing, as weird trouble tend to appear when you least expect it. However, some things have been said: Anthology will (kind of) be printed again, various beginner-friendly products will soon be available, a bunch of preconstructed decks, one or two Anarch-themed bundles, and a big set with the flavor of Vampire: The Masquerade Fifth Edition. Fun times ahead!
Do you have opinions or questions for Black Chantry? Start a topic on the VEKN forum, or contact the company by e-mail, Facebook or Twitter.
MIKA NURMIKOLU WINS VEG HELSINKI 2018!
Ropecon is Europe's largest non-commersial convention for tabletop RPG:s, boardgames, cardgames and all kinds of such stuff, with over 4,000 visitors each year. It has had VTES tournaments for about 20 years, and this year the main tournament was “upgraded” to VTES European Grand Prix status.
49 Methuselahs turned up for this battle, including players from France, Spain, Sweden, Belgium, Austria and Italy. Congratulations Mika Nurmikolu, who took home the Grand Prix trophy in a convincing way with his Goratrix wall deck.
A detailed tournament report will appear later, but the final table was:
1. Mika playing Goratrix wall
2. Henrik playing Ventrue princes with sticks
3. Orian playing Harbingers of Skulls with Emerald Legionnaires
4. Esa playing Baali Huitzilopoctli MMPA stealth-bleed
5. Jyri playing Tremere/Tremere antistribu with Nephandus
Just like last year, the whole final was streamed and can been seen on Youtube, together with interviews. Commentary by Janne Lönnqvist (Finland NC) and Ginés Quiñonero (VEKN Chairman and Black Chantry art director).
Thanks to event organizer and head judge Petri Wessman, and also a big thanks to Orian Gissler, VEKN Organized Play Coordinator and in charge of the whole VEG 2018 tour (who was sponsored by Ultra Pro).
WHAT ARE THE MOST POPULAR CARDS IN TOURNAMENT WINNING DECKS?
Tito Teixeira has compiled statistics from the Tournament Winning Deck Archive (TWDA), so we now have fresh data about what cards are most popular in good decks. With this, we created some top lists:
Of course, someone who has time and skills can create lots of interesting lists and comparisons out of the data. Feel free to do so, Tito´s Excel file can be downloaded via this link.
Join the discussion about this subject at the thread "TWDA Analysis" on the VEKN forum.
V5 IS NEAR!
Our friends at White Wolf are launching the Vampire: The Masquerade Fifth Edition the coming weekend at GenCon in Indianapolis, USA. You can already order the physical V5 corebook from the distributor Modiphius. Digital copies will be available for download on worldofdarkness.com from August 2. Your local game store will have V5 in stock some time in the following weeks, and the game will also appear in French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian and several other languages later this year, as will the Camarilla and Anarch sourcebooks.
If you are interested in World of Darkness lore, we also recommend White Wolf writer and VTES player Matthew Dawkins video series “The Gentleman's Guide to Vampires”, now with new V5 episodes: Prologue and Second Inquisition, and many more on their way.
August 4: 2018 QLD Championships - Townsville, Australia
August 4: Vtes Castle - Pontremoli, Italy
August 5: War Party - São Paulo, Brazil
August 5: Transfer of Power - Coon Rapids, USA
August 11: Powerbase: Berkeley - Antediluvian Awakening - Berkeley, USA
August 11: Vial of Garou Blood - Fortaleza, Brazil
August 11: Two princes are not too - Mataró, Spain
August 11: Powerbase: Berkeley - Eat the Rich - Berkeley, USA
August 12: Padawans Unbound - Palma de Mallorca, Spain
August 12: Nephandus (Mage): Newark - Heath, United States
August 24: LCQ with 5 to go! - Warsaw, Poland
August 25: EC 2018 DAY I - Warsaw, Poland
August 26: EC 2018 Day II - Warsaw, Poland August 26: Polish International Championship - Warsaw, Poland
For more information on upcoming events see the V:EKN Event Calendar.
You can contact the V:EKN Inner Circle members using contact forms at V:EKN.net. Also follow the official V:TES Facebook page Vampire: The Eternal Struggle and the official V:EKN Twitter account @VEKN_VTES
"Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon."
Effective 1 August 2018
INTRODUCTION AND TERMS
The Vampire: Elder Kindred Network™ (V:EKN) is the Official Players' Organization for the Vampire: the Eternal Struggle (V:tES) card game.
The V:EKN is dedicated to the continued health of V:TES. It encourages the game's growth in popularity through embracing new players and supporting existing fans. The V:EKN sanctions and regulates official V:tES tournaments. It also maintains and publishes players' tournament ratings and rankings.
V:EKN Princes are volunteers who promote V:tES at the local level, coordinating tournaments and demonstrations.
V:EKN National Coordinators have similar roles to Princes, with a broader geographical boundaries and responsibility to approve tournament sanctioning in their region.
The V:EKN Inner Circle are V:EKN members who guide the organization. The Inner Circles responsibilities include:
- develop new cards accepted for use in sanctioned tournament play;
- maintain card rulings, card errata, tournament rules and judging guidelines;
- maintain the official player rating system; and
- provide centralized, official fora for communication with the player base; and
- communicate with players through select social media sources.
The V:EKN Ethics Committee exists to consider allegations of unethical conduct (as defined in this code) involving members of V:EKN. The committee is comprised of the V:EKN Inner Circle members or their designees. The National Coordinator responsible for the region of a
V:EKN member alleged to violate this code shall be accorded equal participation and voting rights on the committee for the duration of an investigation relating to that incident.
Note on the use of the word "sanction." This word has two distinctly different English
definitions, both of which are used in this document:
- a threatened penalty for disobeying a law or rule (e.g., "The player received a sanction in
response to their violation of the ethics code");
- official approval or permission (e.g., "this event is officially sanctioned by V:EKN").
PURPOSE AND SCOPE
The purpose of this code of ethics is to describe:
- standards for the conduct of all persons associated with activities and processes overseen by the V:EKN;
- procedures by which alleged violations are to be investigated; and
- sanctions for conduct that does not conform to the described standards.
There is no direct relationship between this code of ethics and any criminal laws or procedures.
The standards, procedures and sanctions concern only rights and privileges of V:KEN
membership. This includes, but is not limited to:
- the privilege of participating in tournaments and activities as a member of V:EKN;
- maintenance of player rating under the V:EKN player rating system; and
- access to information and infrastructure associated with V:EKN (i.e., V:EKN web page and associated fora, V:tES-related social media or messaging services administered by V:EKN members, etc.)
Every aspect of this code of ethics applies to all participants in activities overseen or sponsored by V:EKN. It applies equally regardless of a person's role within an event structure, organizational position or title within V:EKN.
STANDARDS OF CONDUCT
V:EKN is dedicated to ensuring player safety and to maintaining the upstanding reputation of sanctioned events.
Judges and the Ethics Committee should have no hesitation in addressing code of ethics violations, regardless of the effect on games in progress or the disruption to local play groups occurring after sanctions are levied.
No response from those bodies could be more damaging than failing to appropriately address incidences of intolerable behavior from V:EKN members.
The actions and behavior of all persons associated with V:EKN activities shall be:
- lawful in the region hosting the activity;
- in accordance with V:EKN rules and regulations; and
- consistent with the principles of fair play, good sporting, honesty, and respect for the rights and well-being of others.
The following is a list of examples of actions and behavior that are considered unethical. It is not intended to be exhaustive. Any action or behavior that is inconsistent with the principles of fair play, good sporting, honesty, or respect for the rights and well-of others may be considered to fall within the scope of this code of ethics.
- intentionally violating game rules or tournament regulations, particularly after being warned of this infraction at the current, or previous event(s);
- cheating by altering a deck during an event;
- deliberately misrepresenting V:tES rules or a current game state;
- colluding to predetermine the winner of a game;
- failing to play to win as defined in V:EKN Tournament Rules: Playing to Win, particularly when the intent is to determine the winner of a game;
participating in a tournament under a false name, or while under suspension;
- attempting to interfere with the rights or privileges of any V:EKN member; such as by barring an active, unsuspended player from entering a sanctioned event;
- submitting a falsified tournament report;
- offering insult, slur or innuendo regarding age, sex, gender, race, religion, ethnicity or disability to any person, present or not present, at the event;
- defaming the character of a V:KEN member, either by slander or libel;
- making continued social advances towards a player despite clearly demonstrated lack of interest or initial rebuff;
- threatening bodily harm, physically intimidating or assaulting any person in the tournament venue;
- violating federal, state, or local laws while participating in activities that are associated with V:EKN.
Origination of on-site sanctions
On-site sanctions are reserved for clear, gross code of ethics violations which occur within an event and which merit penalty more severe than disqualification from that single event. Only a head judge may issue an on-site sanction. On-site sanctions must be noted in the tournament report.
The player alleged of violating the code of ethics is immediately disqualified from the current event (see Judges' Guide for disqualification processes) and is suspended from participating in further V:EKN-sanctioned events, per V:EKN Tournament Rules: Tournament Eligibility. The duration of an on-site sanction is 30 days and applies only to the nation in which it was issued.
The head judge must initiate a review of the sanction with the V:EKN Ethics Committee within 5 calendar days of the incident, or its associated suspension is lifted. The judge will detail the circumstances leading to the sanction, recommend a duration based on the infraction's severity and provide a list of witnesses to the incident.
Origination of independently initiated sanctions
The Ethics Committee may also independently initiate review for behavior observed either inside or outside an event environment. This process should be exceedingly rare, but may be required to address egregious ethics violations occurring outside the purview of sanctioned events.
Review: all sanctions
All sanctions, regardless of origin:
- shall be reviewed by the Ethics Committee within 14 days of receipt;
- are lifted if the Ethics Committee review fails to complete review within 14 days, returning the player to active status;
- require a 2/3rd majority approval of reviewers (including the National Coordinator) to be upheld;
- if not upheld in review, are lifted and the player is returned to active status.
Any player alleged to have committed an ethics code violation will be interviewed as part of the review process and is allowed to provide their own list of witnesses for discrete incidents.
There is no appeal process for suspension from V:EKN activities. The review and approval described above constitute the entirety of the process associated with suspensions. The determination of the Ethics Committee is final.
Sanctions levied by the Ethics Committee are applicable world-wide after being issued. The Ethics Committee will establish a duration for sanction during the review process, considering the referring judge's recommendation and conforming to the limits outlined below.
Sanctions fall within 3 levels of severity:
- Standard suspension: the player is prohibited from participating in further V:EKN-sanctioned events while suspended per V:EKN Tournament Rules: Tournament Eligibility. The duration of a suspension may range from the remainder of the original 30-day term, up to but not exceeding 18 months from the date of the incident. At the discretion of the Ethic Committee, suspended players may be denied access to all V:EKN privileges (including website access) during their suspension.
- Probation: the player retains all V:EKN privileges while under probation, including participating in V:EKN-sanctioned events. The duration of a probation may not exceed 12 months. Any further ethics code violations with that term lead to a mandatory suspension of the player, with the remaining term of the probation added to the term of the subsequent suspension. A player may be placed on probation only once during their V:EKN career.
- Ban: the player is permanently prohibited from participating in further V:EKN-sanctioned events. They are removed from the V:EKN Player Ratings system and may be denied access to fora and/or websites associated with V:EKN activities.
Players subject to sanction will be notified of results at the conclusion of the review process.
Suspended V:EKN members forfeit all organizational roles or offices (i.e., Prince, National Coordinator, Inner Circle, Playtest Coordinator, etc) for a period of time equal to twice the duration of the suspension, unless otherwise unanimously determined by the Ethics Committee.
There are no other V:EKN-recognized probations, suspensions or bans. Tournament organizers and judges must allow all V:EKN registered players in good standing to fairly participate in sanctioned events. Failure to conform to this requirement should be reported to V:KEN and may lead to forfeiture of V:EKN Prince status, invalidation of tournament results and sanctions as described above against the tournament organizer and/or head judge.
A list of probationary, suspended and banned players is published on the V:EKN forums at www.VEKN.net.
Release date: July 14, 2018
Legal for tournament play: August 14, 2018
Power Pulses in the Vein
The descendants of Caine are many, and their blood is diverse. It may infuse a vampire with spiritual hunger, or stony endurance, or the maddening touch of the fae. Bloodlines arise and struggle for power against the entrenched clans. The blood will prevail.
This set is a fixed assortment of 120 cards for Vampire: The Eternal Struggle – 56 library cards and 64 crypt cards of clans Ahrimanes, Daughters of Cacophony, Kiasyd, Salubri, Salubri antitribu and True Brujah. All were first created for the original Heirs of Blood expansion 2010, since long out of print and in great demand among players.
|2x Darlene Killian||Ahrimanes|
|2x Dovey Ebfwe||Ahrimanes|
|2x Helen Fairchild||Ahrimanes|
|2x Sylvie Helgon||Ahrimanes|
|2x Evil Jensen||Daughters of Cacophony|
|2x Harlan Graves||Daughters of Cacophony|
|2x Hillanvale||Daughters of Cacophony|
|2x Janet Langer||Daughters of Cacophony|
|2x Scout Youngwood||Daughters of Cacophony|
|2x Arcadian, The||Kiasyd|
|2x Greer Worder||Kiasyd|
|2x Myrna Goldman||Kiasyd|
|2x Nahum Enosh||Salubri|
|2x Serenna the White||Salubri|
|2x Ariel||Salubri antitribu|
|2x Azrael||Salubri antitribu|
|2x Qawiyya el-Ghaduba||Salubri antitribu|
|2x Silas||Salubri antitribu|
|2x Uriel||Salubri antitribu|
|2x Al-Muntathir, God's Witness||True Brujah|
|2x Lydia, Grand Praetor||True Brujah|
|2x Mikael Birkholm||True Brujah|
|2x Shalmath||True Brujah|
|2x Ailing Spirit, The||Action|
|1x Amulet of Temporal Perception||Equipment|
|1x Benefit Performance||Political Action|
|1x Black Beast, The||Combat|
|1x Blessing of the Beast||Master|
|2x Charge of the Buffalo||Action|
|1x Cheat the Fates||Action|
|1x Code of Samiel||Master|
|1x Command Performance||Master|
|2x Death Seeker||Combat|
|1x Draeven Softfoot||Ally|
|2x Ears of the Hare||Reaction|
|2x Faerie Wards||Reaction|
|1x Fanfare for Elysium||Political Action|
|2x Gift of Sleep||Action Modifier / Reaction|
|1x Great Symposium||Master|
|2x Hide the Heart||Reaction|
|1x Joumlon's Axe||Equipment|
|1x Journal of Hrorsh||Equipment|
|1x Lily Prelude||Political Action|
|2x Lord of Serenity||Action|
|2x Loving Agony||Combat|
|1x Member of the Entourage||Ally|
|2x Mole's Tunneling||Action Modifier|
|2x Morphean Blow||Combat|
|1x New Moon Sigil||Action|
|2x Outside the Hourglass||Combat|
|1x Path of Harmony||Master|
|2x Penitent Resilience||Action Modifier / Combat|
|2x Pocket Out of Time||Action Modifier|
|2x Safe Passage||Action Modifier|
|1x Scarlet Lore||Action|
|4x Shattering Crescendo||Action|
|2x Spirit Claws||Combat / Action|
|2x Virtuosa||Action Modifier|
HEIRS TO THE BLOOD REPRINT BUNDLE 2
IS AVAILABLE ON DRIVETHRUCARDS.COM:
Page 1 of 19