file About deals and withdrawing

25 Jan 2013 09:19 - 25 Jan 2013 09:20 #44383 by Ankha
I'm a bit tired of explaining over and over during games how a deal based on withdrawal can be achieved, so I'll do it here.

First of all, it's not dirty doing that. The goal of the game being to have the GW or at least score the more VPs as possible, agreeing to deal with someone in order to get more VP than you could expect by not dealing with him is in the spirit of the game.

We'll keep in mind that the tournament rules state that once in duel, all deals are void and players must try to score the more VP possible. The rule also state that once you have the GW, you're free to dispose of the remaining VPs. Finally, if you're in duel but unable to do anything without dying, you maximize your VP by letting the other player withdraw.

Let's have an example. Game is A > B > C > D > E.
At some point, B and E oust their preys, leaving B, D and E in the game. D is going to be ousted by B, and has no reasonable chance of killing E.

D can still get a VP by getting B ousted, then letting E withdraw.

How is that possible when deals are void in duel?

Many players don't grasp the concept that even when the deals are void, the rules force you to play in order to maximize your points. Sometimes maximizing points mean being clever and withdraw or let the other player withdraw.
This can only be done if either player gets the GW, and if the player getting the GW agrees to leave some points to the other player.

Suppose D and E have a deal where D spends his resources resisting to B while E ousts B.
Once in duel, D and E's deal is void. But D still has no reasonable change of ousting E (perhaps even less since E got 6 pool).
E has 2 vp. By withdrawing or letting D withdraw, or reaching the time limit, E has the GW.

Option 1
E can torporize/paralyze all of D's minion
That case is simple. Once D has no minion left, he can't stop E from withdrawing. E scores GW 2.5, D scores 1 VP

Option 2
D is at 1 pool, E can oust D anytime (E plays stealth, D has no intercept).
This case is tricky because it's based on what E could do. But if D has 99.9% chances of being ousted if he takes any offensive action against E, D maximizes his victory points by withdrawing, or letting E withdraw.

Option 3
D has no reasonable chances of ousting E, but those chances are much greater if E empties his library in order to attempt to withdraw
In that case, E will ask D to withdraw (otherwise, E will just oust D). D gets 0.5 VP which is better than 0.

Option 4
There's not enough time left for D to oust E.
If E attempts to withdraw and succeeds, D will get 1 VP instead of 0.5 for time limit. D can let E withdraw.

Duels can and should be prepared while there's still a third player on the table and while the deals are still legal.

The idea is that once only 2 players are left in the game, one of them have no other option than withdrawing in order to maximize his VPs while the other gets the GW.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 25 Jan 2013 09:20 by Ankha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2013 10:30 #44388 by Reyda

First of all, it's not dirty doing that. The goal of the game being to have the GW or at least score the more VPs as possible, agreeing to deal with someone in order to get more VP than you could expect by not dealing with him is in the spirit of the game.

Ok.
Imagine V:tes as a sports tournament.
" - I will sit there looking at you while you score your points. Oh, and if you can make a small move, like scoring against yourself, just so i have one point, it would be cool".
- Excuse me referee, why are those people not really fighting ?
- But no sir, rest assured that they are playing by the rules !" :whistle:

Please tell me how the rules are different in vtes. Please tell me about sportsmanship. Please tell me that letting another player win is "maximizing" anything, really.

You don't see me in tournaments ? But why, I'd love to sit there while other players are splitting the table on the basis one of them has a completely useless deck :whistle:

Imagination is our only weapon in the war against reality -Jules de Gaultier

More
25 Jan 2013 10:35 - 25 Jan 2013 10:35 #44389 by Ohlmann

Ok.
Imagine V:tes as a sports tournament.
" - I will sit there looking at you while you score your points. Oh, and if you can make a small move, like scoring against yourself, just so i have one point, it would be cool".
- Excuse me referee, why are those people not really fighting ?
- But no sir, rest assured that they are playing by the rules !" :whistle:

Please tell me how the rules are different in vtes. Please tell me about sportsmanship. Please tell me that letting another player win is "maximizing" anything, really.

Problem is, I don't see the relation between what you say and what Ankha say. That Ankha say something is possible and allowed does not mean that something else -in another sport, no less- is also possible and allowed

You don't see me in tournaments ? But why, I'd love to sit there while other players are splitting the table on the basis one of them has a completely useless deck :whistle:

And you see people making deal with useless decks ? In the world where I play, people deals with other player that can actually contribute to their victory.
Last edit: 25 Jan 2013 10:35 by Ohlmann.

More
25 Jan 2013 10:59 #44390 by Reyda

That Ankha say something is possible and allowed does not mean that something else -in another sport, no less- is also possible and allowed

name me a game where king making or playing to lose is recommended and kindly viewed by the judges ?

And you see people making deal with useless decks ? In the world where I play, people deals with other player that can actually contribute to their victory.

I think you are lying a bit.
Most of the time people make losing deals because they can't handle another deck. Like in "ok, i know you could bleed me out, so let's split the table". Or "If you rush me I am dead, so please let me have 1 or 2 VP, I give you the table".
Their inability to face a threat or build a deck with sufficient defense leads to kingmaking.

PEOPLE Y U NO MAKE BALANCED DECKS ? :silly:

But sure it's better to stuff your deck with 8 Parity, 10 Zillah, mass obfuscate and tell yourself that if there is combat around, you can still have 2 VP by dealing your way out. I think it hurts Vtes, but hey, it's just one random guy's opinion B-)

The following user(s) said Thank You: dude_PL

More
25 Jan 2013 11:26 #44393 by Ohlmann

name me a game where king making or playing to lose is recommended and kindly viewed by the judges ?

Except it's neither case here, which is what you convieniently forget.

Both player gain in a not-idiotic deal, which is what Ankha talk about. So there is no playing to lose to anyone involved. It's only prevent itself from being betrayed at the end.

It's not kingmaking either, because the main thing in kingmaking is that people choose the winner when they cannot win anything. Here, there is important VP to make.

Also, you forgot a big part of kingmaking : you cannot avoid it. If D can make a deal to "kingmake" A, it also mean he kingmake for another one if he do nothing.

Oh, yes, I forgot, when people don't agree with you, it's because they lie or are troll.

Most of the time people make losing deals because they can't handle another deck. Like in "ok, i know you could bleed me out, so let's split the table". Or "If you rush me I am dead, so please let me have 1 or 2 VP, I give you the table".
Their inability to face a threat or build a deck with sufficient defense leads to kingmaking.

So, in short, you think that people trying to maximize their points (because of initial bad decision, I concede you that) is both a bad play and bad for the game ?

VtES is not a duel game. If you're angry that people actually negociate and do deal to make the best of a bad situation, play something else. Seriously : multiplayer strategy, deal, and betrayal are a good part of what make VtES interesting.

Don't do bad analogy because you are frustrated you can lose because two people gang up on you.

More
25 Jan 2013 12:14 #44397 by Reyda

Except it's neither case here, which is what you convieniently forget.

Both player gain in a not-idiotic deal, which is what Ankha talk about. So there is no playing to lose to anyone involved. It's only prevent itself from being betrayed at the end.

It's not kingmaking either, because the main thing in kingmaking is that people choose the winner when they cannot win anything. Here, there is important VP to make.

1- the deals are not idiotic, the tournament rules are.
2- It is in fact kingmaking. By agreeing to be on the lose end of a deal, you are playing to lose. The fact that you gain 1 or 2 VP while someone else grabs GW3 makes you playing to lose, not playing to win. And that is a FACT my dear, not an opinion.

Oh, yes, I forgot, when people don't agree with you, it's because they lie or are troll.

Not really. I said you were lying a bit because you conveniently forgot to mention all the games where one of the players just abandons all will to fight and decide to bleed or rush cross table, thus ruining the game of 3 other players who just as badly wan the game win. But if you want to take it personnaly, then fine !

So, in short, you think that people trying to maximize their points (because of initial bad decision, I concede you that) is both a bad play and bad for the game ?

In a sense, yes. It's exactly what I wrote, and I don't really understand the need for reiteration.

VtES is not a duel game.

Well thank you, I did not realize that.
do you realize this kind of comment is of condescending nature ? Talking about trolling... I expressed a sincere opinion, but you feel the need to pass them as ridiculous. Did you think for a minute about the real implication of this idea of no table-split instead of dismissing the idea as an heresy ? But sure, I am certainly not able to think outside the trollbox.

If you're angry that people actually negociate and do deal to make the best of a bad situation, play something else. Seriously : multiplayer strategy, deal, and betrayal are a good part of what make VtES interesting.

Don't do bad analogy because you are frustrated you can lose because two people gang up on you.

Oh sure, let's make it personal again !
It's just because I am an angry and frustrated person of course. It's absolutely not because I think something may be wrong here. Again, it's a random guy's opinion. Does it trouble you so much so you have to rely on such arguments ?

Do you have any interesting things to declare at all in favor of table splitting deals or will you just continue your armchair analysis on me forever ?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Pendargon

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds