file Tariq and merging

10 Jun 2015 01:04 #71614 by BenPeal
Replied by BenPeal on topic Re: Tariq and merging

Speaking of Epiphany, perhaps there could be a starting-as-Advanced version. Just noodling around:

Legacy
:action:
+2 stealth action. Requires an unmerged advanced vampire.
Untap this acting vampire and search your crypt, uncontrolled region, or ash heap for his or her base version to move to him or her. Shuffle your crypt afterward. If this vampire merges, move the top card from your crypt to your uncontrolled region.

It's not cyclable like Epiphany, so I gave it a crypt draw bonus. Probably not as good as Epiphany.

Ah, could drop the crypt draw and give the card burn option instead to make it cyclable:

Legacy
:burn:
Untap this acting vampire and search your crypt, uncontrolled region, or ash heap for his or her base version to move to him or her. Shuffle your crypt afterward.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brandonsantacruz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2015 13:31 #71628 by brandonsantacruz

Speaking of Epiphany, perhaps there could be a starting-as-Advanced version. Just noodling around:

Legacy
Untap this acting vampire and search your crypt, uncontrolled region, or ash heap for his or her base version to move to him or her. Shuffle your crypt afterward. If this vampire merges, move the top card from your crypt to your uncontrolled region.

It's not cyclable like Epiphany, so I gave it a crypt draw bonus. Probably not as good as Epiphany.

Ah, could drop the crypt draw and give the card burn option instead to make it cyclable:

Legacy
:burn:
Untap this acting vampire and search your crypt, uncontrolled region, or ash heap for his or her base version to move to him or her. Shuffle your crypt afterward.

Burn option vastly increases the viability of decks that specialize in things like merging or going anarch. If I can't use the card, at least I don't have to choke on it. Generally these decks aren't so awesome that they need to be slowed down by making someone discard the extra copies and have a dead card during their turn. On the contrary, it opens up more possibilities if you can quickly cycle out redundant cards and get the deck doing what it is supposed to be doing.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
11 Jun 2015 11:40 #71652 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic Re: Tariq and merging
I think Ben got "Professional Illnes" of thinking, that any problem with the game can be solved by designing new cards.

We got ~50 advansable vampires as well as a card, which makes merging "free". Near nobody are playing them in serious games.

There is no hope in this mechanic.

PS: everybody here, I hope, know what "parasitic mechanic" means?

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 2wayspeaker

More
11 Jun 2015 22:52 #71665 by Nac
Replied by Nac on topic Re: Tariq and merging
Not everything on the game must be for serious games. Have you ever thought what a nightmare could be playing against edward vignes, tupdogs and nocturnes over and over? Advancement is a nice way of integrating flavour in to proper game but seeking it to be TWD material may take as much cards as Anarchs did to be really viable and not just "woah, this feels like roleplaying anarchs"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
12 Jun 2015 07:31 #71679 by theEmperor
Replied by theEmperor on topic Re: Tariq and merging
How is my statement faulty? I said I can't think of a single tournament winning deck that uses it.
I never claimed there were none my point was that there are very few successful uses of the mechanic.

More
12 Jun 2015 07:58 #71680 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Tariq and merging

How is my statement faulty? I said I can't think of a single tournament winning deck that uses it.
I never claimed there were none my point was that there are very few successful uses of the mechanic.

It's not faulty, but of very little help since you gave your feeling, not facts.

If I say "I can't think about any deck using Revolutionary Council" and then discover that there are dozens, how does it help?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds