check German Nationals "Enchant Kindred", 25.05.2019

28 May 2019 18:20 #95113 by Mewcat
What would I have done? Realized that I have no competitive motivation to play and then made a choice based on whatever benefited me as a person, such as if hungry transfer out and go eat, if my friend was finishing a pick up game finish the game out and most likely get 2 vp. This is called rational action, where the things I do are done to benefit me in some way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2019 19:50 #95115 by kschaefer

...For tournaments, playing to win means playing to get a Game Win if it is reasonably possible, and when a Game Win is not reasonably possible, then playing to get as many Victory Points as possible....

During the finals, playing to win means playing to finish as tournament winner (as defined in 3.7.5).

The problem with the "[d]uring the finals" line is that is doesn't default to the previous "get as many Victory Points as possible" when you cannot win. I think the PtW rule for the finals should do so, encouraging the remaining players to do as well as they can.

More
28 May 2019 20:27 #95116 by drnlmza

What would I have done? Realized that I have no competitive motivation to play and then made a choice based on whatever benefited me as a person, such as if hungry transfer out and go eat, if my friend was finishing a pick up game finish the game out and most likely get 2 vp. This is called rational action, where the things I do are done to benefit me in some way.

Presumably people play tournaments because they enjoy playing VtES. Describing a decision to continue playing a game and gain the statisfication of an oust as not benefiting the player strikes me as ignoring the points of playing a game.

--
National Coordinator
South Africa

More
28 May 2019 22:35 #95117 by Mewcat

Presumably people play tournaments because they enjoy playing VtES. Describing a decision to continue playing a game and gain the statisfication of an oust as not benefiting the player strikes me as ignoring the points of playing a game.

Sure, I am not qualified to make a rational action determination for you.

More
29 May 2019 10:46 #95119 by Joscha

Some could call this behaviour egoistic. Although it seems to be covered by the rules. I don't get whyyou don't have to maximize your VPs in a final but okay.
I like the idea extrala mentioned of giving the last man standing the GW in case of a tie. :)

Baron of Frankfurt

More
29 May 2019 12:00 #95120 by Ankha

Back in the old days there was actually this rule. Last man standing would win in case of a tie.

When? And why did it change?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds