file Investments: worth the investment?

30 Sep 2011 13:11 - 01 Oct 2011 00:07 #11225 by direwolf
Investment cards don't seem to get a lot of play. They've been addressed a couple times in newer cards (Alan Sovereign, Swiss Cut and Wall Street Night) but I still don't see investment cards played too much. The general thought is that they aren't too efficient, taking multiple master phase actions to gain.

Here are a couple ideas to make investments more playable:

Camouflage Compensation
Master. Trifle.
Place this card on an investment you control. During your influence phase you may move a counter from the investment card to a vampire in your uncontrolled region.

Flexible Spending
:modifier:
Requires an Anarch
:dom: Burn an investment counter on a card you control to increase your bleed by +3. Only one action modifier may be played to increase your bleed this action. If this vampire is burned as a result of this action, burn the investment card.
:nec: You may pay part or all of the pool cost of a recruit action from an investment you control.
:chi: Usable on successful bleed. Move a blood from the target Methuselah's uncontrolled region or investment cards to an investment card you control.

Sing for your Bread
:action:
1 :blood:
:pre: Bleed at +1 Stealth. If this vampire bleeds for more than one, move a blood from the blood bank to an investment card you control.
:mel: As :pre: above, but also move an investment counter from a card you control to your pool.
:MEL: Put this card into play. Burn this card to increase the bleed of a "Sing for your Bread" action by +1 and add an additional investment counter. Burn this card during your discard phase.

Personal Accountant
:retainer:
1 :pool:
Mortal Retainer
2 Life
The minion with this retainer may take an action to add two investment counters to an investment card. The action costs one blood or life, and is at +1 stealth if you control the investment card. During your untap phase you may burn an investment counter to give this vampire a blood from the blood bank.

I started putting my new card ideas edits in spoilers to keep the OP small.

EDIT

Warning: Spoiler!

EDIT 2

EDIT 3

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.
Last edit: 01 Oct 2011 00:07 by direwolf.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2011 13:51 #11232 by Ankha

Camouflage Compensation
Master. Trifle.
Place this card on an investment you control. During your influence phase you may move a counter from the investment card to a vampire in your uncontrolled region.

Nice, but it would make investments decks even more master heavy.

Flexible Spending
:modifier:
Requires an Anarch
:dom: Burn an investment counter on a card you control to increase your bleed by +3. Only one action modifier may be played to increase your bleed this action. If this vampire is burned as a result of this action, burn the investment card.
:nec: You may pay part or all of the pool cost of a recruit action from an investment you control.
:chi: Usable on successful bleed. Move a blood from the target Methuselah's uncontrolled region or investment cards to an investment card you control.

I would change the :chi: effect from 1 blood to "up to 2 blood".

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
30 Sep 2011 14:00 #11234 by direwolf
Wow, quick with the response... I thought for sure you'd think the dominate on the threeway card would be too strong... after I left I thought it should be bumped down to +2 bleed, or be restricted to one per turn.

And I disagree about your comment about making an investment deck more master heavy. Sure, it's another master card, but it's a trifle, and it allows you to utilize one of your investments without using master phase actions. So in the long run it actually helps you play your other master cards.

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.

More
30 Sep 2011 14:31 #11235 by Ankha

Wow, quick with the response... I thought for sure you'd think the dominate on the threeway card would be too strong... after I left I thought it should be bumped down to +2 bleed, or be restricted to one per turn.

No, it's fine for me. It requires both an anarch and an investment card. Conditioning at inferior is already +2 bleed.

And I disagree about your comment about making an investment deck more master heavy. Sure, it's another master card, but it's a trifle, and it allows you to utilize one of your investments without using master phase actions. So in the long run it actually helps you play your other master cards.

Let's say a play a Proactive Investment (5 counters). First, I'll have to wait the next turn to play Camouflage Compensation. Then, it will last at most 5 turns (probably less).
So: hard to play, don't stay long. It's not worth the master slot.

Suggestion: make it playable before an investment card, and/or give some extra blood.

Eg.

Name: Camouflage Compensation
Cardtype: Master
Master. Trifle.
Put an investment card from your hand into play (cost and requirement apply as normal) with Camouflage Compensation on it, or put Camouflage Compensation into play on an investment card you control. During your influence phase, you may move a counter from the investment card to a vampire in your uncontrolled region.

You even gain a MPA if you play both at the same time (because CC is trifle, and you put the investment card directly into play).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
30 Sep 2011 15:27 - 30 Sep 2011 15:32 #11238 by miketheknife
I really liked the whole idea, specially Fire Sale, but 2 ideas come to my mind about this card:

- Rewording:

Fire Sale

Only usable when you are successfully bled. Tap this minion. Burn X counters on an investment card you control and reduce the bled by X. This is considered a card that would change the target of a bleed.

(I don't see the reason to consider it a bounce)

- Transform the idea in another card:

Liquidity

Unique Master

Whenever you are succesfully bled or a referendum passes that will make you lose pool, you may burn counters from any investment card you control instead of burning pool.

Concept: The investment is made in liquid assets, so you can use them as resources any time.

Bottom line, i totally agree if investment cards were more usefull (specially to decks without pool defense)
Last edit: 30 Sep 2011 15:32 by miketheknife.

More
30 Sep 2011 15:41 #11239 by Count Orlok
Great card ideas. Any way to cut down on the volume of wallpaper in our collections is well worth it in my book.

Would it be worthwhile to make an Alan Sovereign equivalent in a master card? Maybe a master that becomes an ally like Jake Washington that can be tapped to pay for equipment from an investment? Does this negate Alan too much?

:same: :FOR: :NEC: :THN: :pre: Baron of Berkeley :bl: :cap8:

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds