file Card idea: Open the Gate

04 Oct 2011 14:15 #11482 by Ankha
Name: Open the Gate
Cardtype: Action
Discipline: Daimoinon
Cost: 1 blood
Requires an infernal vampire.
[dai] Search your library for a demon ally and put it into play (ignore requirements and cost, and shuffle afterwards). At the end of your minion phase, if that demon is ready, shuffle it back to your library.
[DAI] As [dai] above, and untap this vampire.

The idea is
- to make Herald of Tophet (mainly) playable
- to make a demon perform an action instead of the vampire

For example, one could build a rush deck with 2 Herald and 14 Open the Gate (Open the Gate would replace in proportions a Bum's rush). Other demons (Abyssal Hunter, Impudulu and Succubus) are limited to attrition (steal/burn 1 blood/life) so it wouldn't be very effective (but can be a B plan). Infernal Servitor removes itself from the game so it doesn't work well, and Nocturn and Succubus may bleed for 1. So the Herald would be a best choice (it may also bleed for 1).

The action is at 0 stealth (to match Summon History and to give it a slight drawback), costs 1 blood and is a "free" action at superior, so the vampire may go and bleed, or stay untapped.

Herald is not playable (according to me) because it costs 5 pool before being able to act: 3 pool (recruit cost) + 1 pool (during discard phase to keep it) + 1 pool (to untap the Baali). Using this card, it costs 1 blood (+1 pool at inferior) for 1 turn, which makes it more affordable. Since it can act the turn it comes in play, there's also a surprise element.

Thoughts?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2011 14:53 #11485 by dude_PL
herald can also rush with dive bomb, untap with as the crow and use his special to rush again to effectively obliterate non-combat minions twice in the same tourn. plus - if you're playing baali, you already have to invest in some at least decent bloat mechanism to actually survive. sure, if he was infernal (instead of his crappy "pay 1 pool or he dies" thingie), he'd be way better, especially thanks to the path, but oh well...can't have everything.

all I'm saying is that I wouldn't totally disregard herald, he's not THAT bad (although he's far from ideal).

having said that - I like the concept, but I'd work around it a bit. the current idea allows you to use the herald you already have to recruit another one, then as the crow him etc., which can make a chain reaction and a swarm of heralds in one turn (stealth is not that much of an issue with veil / cloaks flying around) thanks to herald's basic dai and his "play cards as a vampire" special. I'd make it maybe so it costs 1 blood, is a +1 stealth action, has the current basic dai effect at superior and some decent effect at basic dai (dunno...tap a minion or whatever).

More
04 Oct 2011 17:44 #11488 by jAvel
Replied by jAvel on topic Re: Card idea: Open the Gate
Well, it can be "summon and untap" at basic dai (w/o shuffle back) and add "shuffle back" at superior.
And it should cost more in blood. 2-3 blood.

More
05 Oct 2011 06:34 #11515 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Card idea: Open the Gate

herald can also rush with dive bomb, untap with as the crow and use his special to rush again to effectively obliterate non-combat minions twice in the same tourn. plus - if you're playing baali, you already have to invest in some at least decent bloat mechanism to actually survive. sure, if he was infernal (instead of his crappy "pay 1 pool or he dies" thingie), he'd be way better, especially thanks to the path, but oh well...can't have everything.

all I'm saying is that I wouldn't totally disregard herald, he's not THAT bad (although he's far from ideal).

Herald is not played at all, and is not playable, even in fun decks. Bloating has its limits, especially when you must already cope with the infernal cost.

having said that - I like the concept, but I'd work around it a bit. the current idea allows you to use the herald you already have to recruit another one,

The Herald doesn't fill the requirement: it is not infernal.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
05 Oct 2011 07:40 - 05 Oct 2011 07:40 #11520 by Suoli
Replied by Suoli on topic Re: Card idea: Open the Gate
If you're creating a card to specifically make Herald playable I think you might as well make a playable version of Herald. Otherwise you're forcing every future demon ally to be balanced with Open the Gate in mind, potentially restricting design space.
Last edit: 05 Oct 2011 07:40 by Suoli.

More
05 Oct 2011 07:47 - 06 Oct 2011 18:32 #11521 by Boris The Blade

Well, it can be "summon and untap" at basic dai (w/o shuffle back) and add "shuffle back" at superior.
And it should cost more in blood. 2-3 blood.

I guess you mean that at inferior, the ally burns at the end of the turn? Otherwise the inferior would be much stronger than the superior (think Helena advanced and her abyssal friends...)
Last edit: 06 Oct 2011 18:32 by Boris The Blade.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds