file "After successful referendum"-effect-cards

07 Oct 2011 11:45 #11612 by Ashur
I why ago I launched this ideas but got all sorts of weird comments. Now I try again.

Why are there so few action modifiers (Voter Captivation, Cryptic Rider) with an "Only usable after resolving a successful referendum"-effect?

Note: These are just EXAMPLES of what you MAYBE COULD do with the above mentioned effect.

Voice of the wild
Cardtype: Action Modifier
Discipline: Animalism
Only usable after resolving a successful referendum called by this
acting vampire.
[ani] Put this card on the acting vampire as an animal retainer with 1
life. This vampire gets +1 bleed when bleeding your prey.
[ANI] Put this card in play under your control as an animal ally with 1 life, 1 strength and 1 bleed.

Mad cacklings
Discipline: Dementation
acting vampire.
[dem] Burn 2 blood from a vampire that voted against the referendum.
[DEM] Burn 2 blood from any vampire.

Always remember, never forget
Discipline: Quitus
acting vampire.
[qui] Put this card on the acting vampire. Burn this card to enter
combat with a vampire which voted against the referendum as a D
action.
[QUI] Put this card on the vampire. Burn this card to enter combat
with any vampire as a D action.

Whispers from the past
Discipline: Necromancy
acting vampire. Remove this card from the game when it is played.
[nec] If the action is successful, move one card played by this
vampire during this action from your ash heap to your hand. Discard
down to your hand size.
[NEC] If the action is successful, move one card from your ash heap to
your hand. Discard down to your hand size.

Puzzling performance
Discipline: Chimerstry
acting vampire.
[chi] Tap a ready vampire.
[CHI] Put this card on any vampire. Tap that vampire; he or she does
not untap as normal during his or her controller's untap phase. Burn
this card during your next untap phase.

Premonitions
Discipline: Auspex
acting vampire.
[aus] Put this card on this vampire. You may burn this card when a
bleed against you is successful to reduce the bleed by 2.
[AUS] Put this card on this vampire. You may burn this card when a
bleed against you is successful to reduce the bleed by 3.

Discrediting words
Clan: Ventrue antitribu
acting vampire.
Put this card on any vampire. That vampire has -1 vote.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2011 14:01 - 07 Oct 2011 15:22 #11617 by direwolf
There are some workable ideas in there however I have one caustion: A player playing a Cryptic rRider and/or Voter Captivation, in addition to one or more of those cards could be too strong.

Voting is strong in and of itself, that would be like giving a person who bleeds pool at the same time (Kindred Spirits!).

It *could* be balanced much like bleed action modifiers are balanced by saying only one action modifier can be used to increase the bleed. So, if any new card stated that they could not be played in conjunction with Voter Captivation, and Voter Captivation would have to be changed to say the same.

Doable, but expect the kneejerk reaction against chainging the game.

EDIT

One easy fix would be to include the text "Rider. (Only one rider may be played per action)" and include that on any card of this type.

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2011 15:22 by direwolf.

More
07 Oct 2011 17:54 #11625 by Ashur

One easy fix would be to include the text "Rider. (Only one rider may be played per action)" and include that on any card of this type.

I understand your point, but I don´t like fixes that need errata old cards. But do you really think people can find room for lots of different of these "rider-cards" in the deck? You can only play one action modifier of each kind on a single action.

More
07 Oct 2011 19:29 #11632 by direwolf

I understand your point, but I don´t like fixes that need errata old cards. But do you really think people can find room for lots of different of these "rider-cards" in the deck? You can only play one action modifier of each kind on a single action.

First of all, the reason you posted this is that there are few of these types of cards in the first place. Adding a small card text change to a few cards is a small price to pay for game balance.

Second of all, yes, I would play as many of these cards as I could. Remember: a lot of large cap vampires have a wide array of disciplines, and finding one that could use three or four of these types of cards is not unreasonable.

And it's not hard to find room for these cards, if you can call a vote to damage your preys pool, and play riders to damage his vampires, and increase your bleed, and reduce bleeds, and gain pool... and you see the point. A single action shouldn't do ALL of that.

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.

More
07 Oct 2011 19:50 #11634 by Ashur

And it's not hard to find room for these cards, if you can call a vote to damage your preys pool, and play riders to damage his vampires, and increase your bleed, and reduce bleeds, and gain pool... and you see the point. A single action shouldn't do ALL of that.

Well, in that case I think its better to balance the cards down so that they aren´t THAT good.

More
07 Oct 2011 22:05 - 07 Oct 2011 22:17 #11639 by Juggernaut1981

Well, in that case I think its better to balance the cards down so that they aren´t THAT good.

So you want us to hamstring your cards into near-wallpaper status? Sure.

Immediately the Auspex card would be a pain in the ass. Big-cap Ventrue, Toreadors amd !Toreadors all vote brilliantly as it is so giving them more ammunition is nuts.

CHI and ANI together make for even more insane rates of speed-bleeding Week of Nightmares Ravnos. Play a few KRCs then when the deck seems to be running out of its vote legs, drop a WoN and bleed like you've been juggling chainsaws...

I dislike Mad Cacklings, it feels like it should be something else entirely. DEM-based decks have weak voting generally... it would seem to be better as a Vote-Push and not a Vote-resolution.

Deranged Lecture
Action Modifier
2 blood
Only usable during a referendum called by a minion you control.
:dem: Choose a vampire without :dem:. That vampire cannot cast votes during this referendum, this card may change that vampire's votes.
:DEM: As above and that vampire burns 1 blood.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
Last edit: 07 Oct 2011 22:17 by Juggernaut1981.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds