file New Card Idea: Downward Spiral

31 Jan 2012 15:52 #22134 by Drain
Name: Downward Spiral
Cardtype::event:
Gehenna. Do not replace as long as this card is in play.
Whenever a Methuselah gains the edge he steals one pool from the edge’s previous controller or gains one pool from the bank if it was uncontrolled. Whenever a Methuselah burns the edge he loses one pool. The edge is now worth 3 votes and controlling the edge during your untap phase grants you an additional pool.

Game development:
- Give the game additional ways to encourage forward pressure.

Flavor:
- None in particular.

Balance:
- In the modern environment post-Villein and Lilith's Blessing it can be argued that the game could really use a pair of generalistic cards that promote forward motion. Inspired by the rather interesting "The Slump" that Ankha first suggested and Jeff Kuta and Pascal refined. Here too is a card that tries to accentuate the decay of a table and to promote agressiveness. Not too sure about it being a Gehenna or of the DNR clause but assuming that the player is packing a specialized deck to capitalize on the card then the downside is probably warranted.

Competitiveness:
- High. If the deck is aimed to take advantage of the card it can be downright brutal on the whole table, with the most agressive deck gaining in survival (something that that type of deck usually lacks) while the defensive types end up hurting.

Drain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2012 16:11 #22137 by Ohlmann
It create more pool but does not actually burn pool. So I fear the card miss its objective.

More
31 Jan 2012 16:23 #22140 by Jeff Kuta
If I may...

Gehenna. Do not replace until a Methuselah is ousted.
Whenever a Methuselah gains the Edge he may steal one pool from its previous controller, if any. Whenever a Methuselah burns the Edge during a referendum, put a spiral counter on this card. The Edge is worth X additional votes where X is the number of spiral counters on this card. If you control the Edge during your untap phase, your prey burns 1 pool.

I admit there's a certain appeal to Edge play. Now there's no actual pool gain effects added, but there are more pool burn effects added. Plus, the Edge gets stronger politically as the game progresses, kind of like trading in card sets in Risk.

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Drain

More
31 Jan 2012 16:52 #22143 by Ohlmann

I admit there's a certain appeal to Edge play. Now there's no actual pool gain effects added, but there are more pool burn effects added. Plus, the Edge gets stronger politically as the game progresses, kind of like trading in card sets in Risk.

I think your version is way better. The original was good, but were actually generating pool. This one is really a spiral.

More
31 Jan 2012 19:21 - 31 Jan 2012 19:22 #22148 by Drain

It create more pool but does not actually burn pool. So I fear the card miss its objective.

And where did I state that the card itself burning pool was an objective? Its purpose is to encourage forward pressure. Having the edge attribute 2 pool instead of one is hardly relevant in face of the rest of its effects, also there's the fact that burning the edge starts having a cost of one pool.

Gehenna. Do not replace until a Methuselah is ousted.
Whenever a Methuselah gains the Edge he may steal one pool from its previous controller, if any. Whenever a Methuselah burns the Edge during a referendum, put a spiral counter on this card. The Edge is worth X additional votes where X is the number of spiral counters on this card. If you control the Edge during your untap phase, your prey burns 1 pool.

I highly approve of your rethinking (and rewording) of this card. The one part that does not ring quite right is the increasing vote value of the edge. Given enough time, having the edge with such an exponential value will either stall the table for vote decks (as whoever has the edge can make a vote fail by tossing 5-6 votes against) or it will help Voter Cap decks that can also bleed by making their Referendums that much more swingier if they do have the edge.

Drain
Last edit: 31 Jan 2012 19:22 by Drain.

More
31 Jan 2012 20:21 #22151 by Brum
Here, here!
I also like the NIN reference (the old school Majesties are still the best), even if by accident.
I think it is strong without needing another Gehenna in play. It will help fuel things that are a pain like Slow Withering or Recalled to the Founder.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds