file New Card Idea: Downward Spiral

31 Jan 2012 20:32 #22152 by Ohlmann

And where did I state that the card itself burning pool was an objective? Its purpose is to encourage forward pressure. Having the edge attribute 2 pool instead of one is hardly relevant in face of the rest of its effects, also there's the fact that burning the edge starts having a cost of one pool.

But you can recoup all thoses cost easily. Since pool burned alway end in someone's pool, the incentive for forward pressure is not that strong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2012 22:28 #22157 by Jeff Kuta

I highly approve of your rethinking (and rewording) of this card. The one part that does not ring quite right is the increasing vote value of the edge. Given enough time, having the edge with such an exponential value will either stall the table for vote decks (as whoever has the edge can make a vote fail by tossing 5-6 votes against) or it will help Voter Cap decks that can also bleed by making their Referendums that much more swingier if they do have the edge.

Thanks. It was your idea to start and I like riffing off of good ideas.

The increasing vote value was deliberate. Whether you play with them or against them, the swings will become greater and greater and that means *someone* can and will take advantage, which will push the game towards a conclusion.

Really, it is just like Risk! Someone always wins that game after trading in cards for a huge swing in armies and then they can finally break through a tough defense. :)

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
02 Feb 2012 18:36 #22250 by Drain

The increasing vote value was deliberate. Whether you play with them or against them, the swings will become greater and greater and that means *someone* can and will take advantage, which will push the game towards a conclusion.

Really, it is just like Risk! Someone always wins that game after trading in cards for a huge swing in armies and then they can finally break through a tough defense. :)

Right, I see your point. Well, it seems workable. Only doubt I still have would be regarding it being Gehenna or not. Could just as well be a generic event but I do think these are actually more difficult to get rid of due to not being affected by certain cards like Black Hand Ritual or Fourth Cycle.

Drain

More
03 Feb 2012 10:16 #22284 by jamesatzephyr

Whenever a Methuselah burns the Edge during a referendum, put a spiral counter on this card. The Edge is worth X additional votes where X is the number of spiral counters on this card.

Technical / designer intent question:

The card has zero counters. I control the edge during a referendum. I burn the edge. How many votes am I now casting in the referendum?

a) 1 - the number of counters on the card when I burned it was zero
b) 2 - because the edge is now worth an additional vote

I don't really care either way - but I'm sure the question would come up in actual play.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds