file Card idea : Soothsayer

20 Mar 2012 06:26 #26262 by direwolf
Replied by direwolf on topic Re: Card idea : Soothsayer
Protean does seem like a silly requirement. As much as I love Homunculus...

I would use "Requires and Independent vampire" as a requirement.

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2012 06:33 #26264 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Card idea : Soothsayer

Why?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
20 Mar 2012 06:42 #26268 by Juggernaut1981
The more I read this, the more I can see it being a :aus: or a :nec: card...

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
20 Mar 2012 06:55 #26270 by direwolf

Why?

First of all, bring some lore to the table. I'm not a White-wolf guru, but if you quote something from a book or supplement, I will go with it.

But protean is a physical discipline. The ability of the vampire to shape-shift essentially. If there were a reason only shape-shifters should have a soothsayer retainer, I would get in line.

To me, the reason I say "Independent only" is that Soothsaying seems very fringe. You will find mediums or fortune tellers amongst any of the independent clans. The Camarilla and Sabbat tend to recruit/control mainstream "western civilization."

I could see any of the independent clans recruiting a "soothsayer" but I couldn't see every vampire with protean recruiting a soothsayer.

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.

More
20 Mar 2012 08:04 #26276 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Card idea : Soothsayer

Why?

First of all, bring some lore to the table. I'm not a White-wolf guru, but if you quote something from a book or supplement, I will go with it.

But protean is a physical discipline. The ability of the vampire to shape-shift essentially. If there were a reason only shape-shifters should have a soothsayer retainer, I would get in line.

To me, the reason I say "Independent only" is that Soothsaying seems very fringe. You will find mediums or fortune tellers amongst any of the independent clans. The Camarilla and Sabbat tend to recruit/control mainstream "western civilization."

I could see any of the independent clans recruiting a "soothsayer" but I couldn't see every vampire with protean recruiting a soothsayer.

In fact, WoD lore isn't my primary concern, more game balance.
Replace "Soothsayer" by "Demon worshipper" and your background doesn't work anymore.
Usually, I design first a game card, then I try to add some lore to it. This is the case.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
20 Mar 2012 15:44 - 20 Mar 2012 15:47 #26292 by direwolf

In fact, WoD lore isn't my primary concern, more game balance.
Replace "Soothsayer" by "Demon worshipper" and your background doesn't work anymore.
Usually, I design first a game card, then I try to add some lore to it. This is the case.

I agree, game balance should be the bottom line. But there are players who do value lore more than you and I. Presentation of your idea is important, and my criticism was based the lack of your explanation of the card concept.

If your goal is to help Protean combat by giving hand size, then I have no problem with your initial idea... Except for the name.

In the case of Protean, It would make sense if the retainer were a werewolf. I really don't know my werewolf lore. Is there a werewolf tribe or archtype that would fit this concept?

Last edit: 20 Mar 2012 15:47 by direwolf.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds