Submission: Freeze! was created by jblacey
Name: Freeze!
Cardtype: Combat
Cost: None
Capacity: Not applicable
Clan: None
Discipline: Dementation or Dominate
Play after strikes have been chosen.
[dom] No additional cards can be played this round of combat. Freeze! provides a press to continue combat.
[dem] as [dom] and the opposing minion can not use equipment this round of combat.
[DEM] as [dem] and the opposing minion must burn a blood to strike this round of combat.

Flavor text: "Did I say you could leave?" - Vasantasena

Art Notes: A vertigo spiral is the background for the picture with a person in shadows in the center holding their head. Vasantasena is barely visible in the corner of the picture.

World of Darkness reference: Dominate level 1: Command from Vampire: The Masquerade Rulebook Pg. 97, Dementation level 1: Passion Players Guide to the Sabbat Pg. 106, Silence of the Sane Mind Dark Ages: Vampire Rulebook Pg. 185, Voice of Madness Vampire: The Masquerade Revised Edition Pg. 156

How does this card address a compelling game need?: Dominate and Dementation are powerful disciplines with some of the most powerful cards in the game for bleeding and bleed defense. We can either throw up our hands and say we will never again create a powerful card for these disciplines for fear that they will make existing archetypes more powerful or we can design cards that promote a different style of play. This is an attempt to do the second. So instead of focusing on bleed related effects this is an attempt to provide effective supplement combat cards for Bruise Bleed and Intercept Combat decks that have either in clan Dominate or Dementation. In addition, this would be very helpful multi-discipline card for Malkavian which have their crypt split between Dominate and Dementation. In particular, the mechanic that seems to be the most thematic for both Dominate and Dementation is a control mechanic, as that is exactly how these disciplines are used in World of Darkness tabletop and LARP combat. Thematically, Dominate is giving a command and Dementation is invoking paralysis with fear.

Created by: Justin Lacey

Update: July 6th 2017
Here is text from the last update

The biggest problem with this card, is that the crypt selection to use this card is too small. Originally, I was trying to use :ANI: :dem: or :DEM: :VIC:, however then I noticed there are multiple Malkavians in group 4/5 with :AUS: :DEM: :THA:. and they work really well together especially if you drop a Madness Network. The card is quite good but it needs the right kind of deck to show off how powerful it is.

Freeze!
:dom: Not usable against an older vampire. No additional cards can be played until the end of the round. If combat ends this round with both combatants ready, it does not end; another round starts.
:dem: as :dom:
:DEM: as :dem: except usable on any opposing minion.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2017 17:12 by jblacey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2017 12:51 #82385 by ur_vampire
Replied by ur_vampire on topic Submission: Freeze!
I Think this is a nice idea, but if you have to play the card after strikes are chosen and then you forbid equipment for the same round, what happened par example with the manoever from the 44? And if you are the blocking Methuselah, what happened with the strike from the acting Methuselah, if you play the card at dementation?

More
28 Jun 2017 15:43 #82389 by jblacey
Replied by jblacey on topic Submission: Freeze!
The maneuver shouldn't change. Maybe I need to make it clearer that the Dementation effect is meant to cancel the strike if it is equipment or if they don't pay a blood at superior.

More
28 Jun 2017 18:08 #82391 by jblacey
So after thinking about it, it may be too strong if the inferior text can cancel a strike (even if it is limited to equipment). How about this?

Freeze!
:combat:
:dom: No additional cards can be played this round of combat. Freeze! provides a press to continue combat.
:dem: as :dom: and the opposing minion can not use equipment this round of combat (equipment used previously is not affected).
:DEM: as :dem: and the opposing minion must burn a blood to strike this round of combat (they can choose not to strike).

There is probably a way to shorten the text.

More
28 Jun 2017 20:09 #82394 by narpassword
Replied by narpassword on topic Submission: Freeze!
I manoeuvre with my gun, committing to a strike with it. do i still get the strike?

I used the equipment already, so by the card text, the equipment is unaffected, meaning i can then go ahead and use it's strike.

More
28 Jun 2017 20:16 #82396 by jblacey
narpassword, yes that is the goal. I am concerned it may be too powerful if it shuts down all equipment strikes at inferior.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds