file Submission: Mark Sandhurst

13 Jul 2017 01:56 - 22 Aug 2017 17:06 #82584 by jblacey
Name: Mark Sandhurst
Capacity: 8
Cardtype: Vampire
Clan: :fose:
Discipline: :AUS: :OBF: :PRE: :SER:
Group: 5
Camarilla. You and Mark may play and use cards as though Mark was Sabbat. If Mark enters torpor burn 1 pool. +1 Bleed.

Art notes: He is wearing an overcoat and has a flare gun in his hand. His mouth is open bearing his fangs. There is a picture of him on page 66 of Nights of Prophecy.

World of Darkness Reference: Pages 66 and 82 of Nights of Prophecy, but there are multiple references to him through out the scenario since he is one of the antagonists. In the scenario Mark Sandhust is a double agent. He is both a Camarilla Archon and a Sabbat sleeper agent. He betrays the Players and starts a fight.

How does this card address a compelling game need?:

He is solid 8 Cap for Followers of Set. There is only one 8 Cap Follower of Set in group 5. Mark's Disciplines cross over fairly well with several vampires in groups 4-6 and since he can play both Sabbat and Camarilla cards he fits into multiple crypts.

Created by:
Justin Lacey

Update: July 25th 2017
I did some comparisons with Sundervere, The Devil Brahmin and found that Mark is slightly under-powered. He should have one more discipline point. Adding :for: since it is the most common out of clan discipline for G5 FoS. Sundervere can bleed for more than Mark but he is also Red List. Mark's disadvantage is worse, but he has a better mix of disciplines. The :for: also gives him cross over potential with Pentweret, Ogwon and Abdelsobek.

Mark Sandhurst
8 Capacity Group 5 :fose:
:AUS: :OBF: :PRE: :SER: :for:
Camarilla. You and Mark may play and use cards as though Mark was Sabbat. If Mark is enters torpor, you burn 1 pool. +1 Bleed.

Update: August 14th 2017

Decided to go a completely different direction. The Sabbat mechanic was purely thematic though it did allow him to use Abbot, but it was unnecessary. He didn't need +1 intercept. I tried it and it was a poor ability. Instead, I changed it to focus on non-bleed (D) actions and I am really starting to like this version.

Mark Sandhurst
:AUS: :OBF: :PRE: :SER:
Camarilla. Once during your minion phase, Mark may unlock after a successful non-bleed (D) action.

Math
8 capacity = +9
8 disciplines = -8
unlock ability (require (D) action) and non-bleed = -1
= 0

This ability is extremely good. He can unlock after a successful Corruption, Enticement, Temptation, Revelation, or Mind Numb. In playtest, I used it after removing a Pentex Subversion and the next turn I rescued one of my grand prey's vampires from torpor, then unlocked, which meant he was ready and could use Telepathic Misdirection.

Update: August 17th 2017

Here is the Math:
8 Cap = +9
6 diff disciplines = +1
9 disc = -9
ability = -1
=0

Mark Sandhurst
:AUS: :PRE: :SER: :for: :obf: :pot:
Camarilla. Once each turn, Mark may unlock at the end of a successful non-bleed (D) action.

Update: August 22nd 2017

Reasons
1) This adds several potential non-bleed (D) necromancy actions.
2) This adds a good cross over in group 4-5 with Cagliostro, Abdelsobek, Neferu and Seterpenre.
3) In group 5-6, in addition he can cross over with Count Jocalo, who really needs the extra support.
4) This addresses the concern that :for: is too abundant in groups 4-5.
5) His base text makes :for: unnecessary.

Mark Sandhurst
:AUS: :PRE: :SER: :nec: :obf: :pot:
Camarilla. Once each turn, Mark may unlock at the end of a successful non-bleed (D) action.
Last edit: 22 Aug 2017 17:06 by jblacey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2017 15:09 #82781 by jblacey
Replied by jblacey on topic Submission: Mark Sandhurst
Updated.

More
26 Jul 2017 08:41 #82787 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Submission: Mark Sandhurst

Update: July 25th 2017
I did some comparisons with Sundervere, The Devil Brahmin and found that Mark is slightly under-powered. He should have one more discipline point. Adding :for: since it is the most common out of clan discipline for G5 FoS. Sundervere can bleed for more than Mark but he is also Red List. Mark's disadvantage is worse, but he has a better mix of disciplines. The :for: also gives him cross over potential with Pentweret, Ogwon and Abdelsobek.

Sunderwere is Red List (which is a hugh disadvantage when playing bleed stealth) and has inferior Obfuscate, that's why he isn't broken.

Your proposal isn't "solid", it's overpowered. Mark should be a 10-cap if you want to keep the rest.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
26 Jul 2017 12:36 #82791 by BenPeal
Replied by BenPeal on topic Submission: Mark Sandhurst

Your proposal isn't "solid", it's overpowered. Mark should be a 10-cap if you want to keep the rest.

What? The proposal is just one more level of a discipline than Lazarus James, who never sees play:

www.secretlibrary.info/index.php?crypt=729

Or compare to Bloody Mary, who also never sees play:

www.secretlibrary.info/index.php?crypt=1183

Or Muhandis:

www.secretlibrary.info/index.php?crypt=734
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ashur

More
26 Jul 2017 12:59 - 26 Jul 2017 13:00 #82792 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Submission: Mark Sandhurst

What? The proposal is just one more level of a discipline than Lazarus James, who never sees play:

www.secretlibrary.info/index.php?crypt=729

Lazarus James has inferior obfuscate, which is deterrent in a bleed stealth deck.

Or compare to Bloody Mary, who also never sees play:

www.secretlibrary.info/index.php?crypt=1183

I've already seen Bloody Mary played. If we don't see her often, it's because players prefer smaller vampires in a Malkavian s&b archetype.

Or Muhandis:

www.secretlibrary.info/index.php?crypt=734

Muhandis has a stupid drawback that excludes him from a suitable archetype for him (intercept fight with guns). Still, I think I saw someone play with him for his [for] (to play Forced March).

Granted, playing Sabbat cards is useless, so I'll review the capacity down to 9.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 26 Jul 2017 13:00 by Ankha.

More
26 Jul 2017 13:16 - 26 Jul 2017 15:15 #82793 by jblacey
Replied by jblacey on topic Submission: Mark Sandhurst
You do have a point is that Mark's discipline array might be too optimized. There only two 8 capacity vampires for Followers of Set that all have all in-clan at superior and none have +1 bleed. In fact, all of the Followers of Set with +1 bleed with all in-clan disciplines at superior are 10+.

What I was saying is that Mark's disadvantage is "If Mark is enters torpor, you burn 1 pool." is worse than Sundervere's disadvantage "If Sundervere is burned, you burn 1 pool." since Mark's disadvantage can be triggered multiple times and Sundervere's disadvantage will only ever trigger once.

Here was the math,

Sundervere, The Devil Brahmin
8 Cap = +9
5 diff disc = +0.5
Red List = +1
Disadv = +1
9 disc = -9
Burn for bleed = -1
+1 Bleed = -1.5
= 0

Mark Sandhurst
8 Cap = +9
5 diff disc = +0.5
Disadv = +1
9 disc = -9
+1 Bleed = -1.5
=0

Okay, lets go back to the thematic. His discipline mix is the least important part of the card, though he should have at least inferior in-clan :pre: :obf: :ser:

He has "You and Mark may play and use cards as though Mark was Sabbat." because he is a Sabbat infiltrator and in the Camarilla, specifically he is an Archon. The reason he has his disadvantage is if you capture him, he will turn on his masters and spill his secrets... if you burn him, you get nothing. The +1 Bleed is because he is dangerous and undermines diplomatic negotiations.

Maybe the better way to go... is remove the disadvantage, the extra discipline and the +1 Bleed all together and replace it with +1 intercept vs political actions?

Mark Sandhurst
:AUS: :OBF: :PRE: :SER:
Camarilla. You and Mark may play and use cards as though Mark was Sabbat. He has +1 intercept when attempting to block political actions.

8 Cap = +9 points
8 disc = -8 points
Play Sabbat = -0.5 points
+1 intercept on specific action type = -0.5 points
= 0

Is that better?
Last edit: 26 Jul 2017 15:15 by jblacey.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds