file Submission: Dennis Maxwell

14 Nov 2017 10:02 #84254 by Kraus
Replied by Kraus on topic Submission: Dennis Maxwell

How does this card address a compelling game need?: He is a mechanic to allow recursion of minion cards into your library.

Is that a compelling game need?

This is not a compelling game need.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2017 21:07 #84263 by jblacey
Replied by jblacey on topic Submission: Dennis Maxwell

point is that having no requirements give a lot of deck a "free" recursion (since the cost of the ally is exactly the pool gain from 2 abused cards like the two I mentioned before) that was exclusive for clan Giovanni (necromancy and sudario) and that recursion has also a bleed for 1

1) It is not free. It is an action which can be blocked. In fact, I am dropping the +1 stealth on the action.
2) The cost is relative. Waste Management Operation is considered unplayable. It is 1 pool for 1 card recycled into your deck every turn; any card... even master cards. My thought was 3 pool for 3 cards, might be reasonable. bottom of the library or shuffled in the deck is about the same to me.
3) Wraiths should not be Giovanni only. It makes less sense for Dennis to require Giovanni, since they killed his original mortal body. Dennis hates the Giovanni. He wasn't brought back by necromancy either. He is a wraith that exists in both realms. He was created using Wraith: The Oblivion.
4) Let's compare Dennis with Tye Cooper . A card that I have never seen anyone play.

Same
Both Tye and Dennis are 3 pool cost wraiths.
Both are immune to non-aggravated damage.
Both have 1 bleed.

Differences
Tye has 0 strength and 1 life. Dennis has 1 strength and 3 life. (soon 2 life)
Tye can burn a non-ready minion with a (D) action. Dennis has a steal ally ability as a (D) action.
Tye puts a card from your ash pile into your hand if his (D) action is successful.
Dennis has a separate action to put cards back into your library.
Tye requires clan Giovanni, one of the biggest reasons why he never saw play.
Dennis has no clan requirement, any deck can run him.

More
14 Nov 2017 21:17 #84264 by jblacey

Is that a compelling game need?

A non-clan specific recursion mechanic that doesn't recycle abused master cards... yes, that is extremely compelling. A combat deck can put combat cards back into their deck so they don't have to devote 50% to red cards. A vote deck can put vote cards back into their deck, so they don't have to allocate 10 slots to KRC. An intercept combat deck can put less intercept cards into their deck and more actions so they can be more proactive. Recursion as a whole is one of the more requested effects in the game, but I don't want to make it without cost. It is unique, not free, and it's card selection is narrow to minion cards. Would you like to see it more narrow than that? I am open to suggestions.

More
14 Nov 2017 21:19 #84265 by jblacey

This is not a compelling game need.

I politely, but vehemently disagree.

More
14 Nov 2017 21:45 #84266 by jblacey
Updated version.

Dennis Maxwell
:ally:
3 :pool:
Unique wraith with 2 life, 1 strength, 1 bleed. Red List. Dennis is immune to damage that is not aggravated. Dennis may put 3 minion cards from your ash pile into your library (shuffle afterwards) as an action.

Here are some of the things I am still trying to work out:

1) The pool cost. Is 3 pool too much or too little.
2) life, strength, bleed numbers.
3) Is Red List necessary? Thematically Dennis is disliked by most supernatural, especially Mummies, Vampires (Giovanni) and Hunters. Dennis nearly prevent the ability for all mummies to reincarnate. Giovanni want him dead on sight. Hunters lost so many people trying to kill him.
4) Minion cards narrow enough or maybe "action cards or combat cards"?
5) Is the 3 the correct number of cards?

All of these things are still being worked out.

More
15 Nov 2017 13:57 #84277 by ReverendRevolver
Focus less on recursion. Carpenter in the YotS books offer plenty of awesome, video games version asthetics are sweet.
But in books he animates zombies, has a wyrm tainted agg inflicting straight razor he found in the underworld, manipulates imbued, mentally repels vampires (Beckett even) from a block sized area, and wages war with an Amenti in addition to killing a Giovanni. Why focus on something as hard to keep from overpowered as recursion?

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds