file Enkil Cog Theme

17 May 2013 21:35 #48648 by Charles_Bronson
No, this is not another rant about the price or power of this card. I just want to understand the theme of it.

Enkil, in the Anne Rice vampire chronicles, is the king of the vampires. Cog means "part of a gear".

What it means anyway? That the vampire who plays the unique Enkil Cog card becomes a tool of the king of all vampires? In V:TES he is Cain, if Im correct.

Any ideas?

I am death.
Paul Kersey, Death Wish
:vent::THA::QUI::FOR::dom::obf::cap9:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2013 22:33 #48652 by Klaital
Replied by Klaital on topic Re: Enkil Cog Theme
This is totally different setting than Anne Rice books, so I am fairly sure its not coming from there.

More
18 May 2013 01:22 #48653 by ReverendRevolver

This is totally different setting than Anne Rice books, so I am fairly sure its not coming from there.

To my knowledge, they did take the name from Rice books.

The theme seems to be an ancient and powerful vampire gaining the ability to manupulate things in a manner closer to that of a methuselah.

Just like many vtes names, soumding cool and not contradictory to effect seems to mean the name works.

Look at engling fury. What the hell is so furious about gaining blood and untapping?

But if a name was stupidly wrong, like if pentex subversion was called emancipation of awesome freedom, it wouldmake no sense at all.

So it works, provides a useful but not broken effect, and wont cost so damn much when pod is running. Ominous, albeit off theme names are whatever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charles_Bronson

More
18 May 2013 02:54 #48656 by Molloy
Replied by Molloy on topic Re: Enkil Cog Theme
I believe Enkil is a variant name for Enoch in VtM source material.

:hosk: :ani: :chi: :for: :nec: :AUS: :cap6: Sabbat. Animals, Wraiths and Zombies Molloy recruits or employs get an additional life.

More
18 May 2013 03:02 #48657 by ReverendRevolver
Ive always wondered,

Its readily accessible in vtm (its in the beginning of the fluff in revised edition, not to mention in other books) that the second generation is most likely numbering three vamps: Enoch, king of the first city, and cainez first child, Zillah the beauty Caine pursued but who still didnt return his affections even once turned, and Irad.

Dont know what waz special about him.

But, servitor of irad is our only card named or him. And it sucks.

Zillah gets 2 decent cards, enoch gets a few less awesome ones but i think we could give them a little more recognition.
Irad cog?

Just some food for thought.

Of course there could have been more 2nd gen, so its anyones guess as to how to handle it.

More
18 May 2013 07:40 #48667 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic Re: Enkil Cog Theme

Enkil, in the Anne Rice vampire chronicles, is the king of the vampires. Cog means "part of a gear".

Since the Vtm lore is rather extensive, I´m surprised if White Wolf went to Anne Rice for a name. But it´s possible.

I have not seen Enkil in the Vtm lore, but I might have missed it.

Enkil might be an old mid-eastern name, I´m not sure. Very rare today in that case.

I have no idea what the card is supposed to "do", maybe some of you who playtested it know more?

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds