file Ranking List & EC Legendary Vampire Tournament

13 Sep 2011 01:34 #10057 by KevinM

I still think that the whole system (even with everything working) is unfair, as those in better playgroups or with more travel money will always have the advantage, but that's a different story.

I have to say, respectfully, that I get really tired of hearing this.

How else are we supposed to figure out who the better players are except with multiple, repeated trials?

Yes, that means that going to more tournaments equates to a better chance of having a better rating. But it guarantees NOTHING because if you go to lots of tournaments and bomb at most of them, you still suck and still won't be highly rated.

Some of the best players I have ever seen have never once played more than 3-4 hours outside of their home area, and many never play in any tournament larger or more significant than a local tournament. Should they be rewarded more than a player who travels and plays in multiple national and continental championships?

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2011 04:37 #10061 by jhattara
For now using the TWDA is probably the best choice. I will try to get the rankings up and running in the near future, but life pushes against. If anyone has experience with PHP/MySQL programming and especially with Joomla! I'm willing to take volunteers to help my work.

:splat: Jussi Hattara :splat:
:vtes: Webmaster Extraordinaire :vtes:
Finnish :POT: Politics!

More
13 Sep 2011 12:12 - 13 Sep 2011 12:35 #10084 by alek
Just taking the list of players from the time when archon was last updated (maybe fixing it a little with fresh TWDA results) will give much better results if we still want to name this tournament Legendary Vampire and not some random tournament. It should give you possibility for playing with best from the best. TWDA can't give you this
Last edit: 13 Sep 2011 12:35 by alek.

More
13 Sep 2011 15:18 #10094 by Adonai

It should give you possibility for playing with best from the best. TWDA can't give you this

If you aren't winning tournaments, you probably aren't the best.

Just sayin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
13 Sep 2011 17:52 #10116 by Lönkka

Just sayin.

Hear hear!

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
13 Sep 2011 18:47 - 13 Sep 2011 18:48 #10118 by Izaak

if we still want to name this tournament Legendary Vampire and not some random tournament.

How on earth is a tournament with only competitors that have won a tournament in the past ~20 months a "random" tournament.

Also, the idea of LV is -again- not to be some sort of super elitist "only for t3h pr0z" tournament. Its most important purpose is allow MORE people to qualify for Day 1 of the EC by removing a significant amount of established players from the Last Chance. I'd say for last year this was great success. I see no reason to not repeat it and using the TWDA for this is, with the available data, the best way to do it.

Yes, if it would TRULY be a Legendary Vampire we'd have to get the top 25 people from Jeff's Hall of Fame together or something and have them duke it out. That is also extremely unlikely to happen. Ever. And would still be "random" by your standards.

Also

This.
Last edit: 13 Sep 2011 18:48 by Izaak.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds