file ReVamping VTES?

13 Jan 2018 12:11 #84884 by Damnans
Replied by Damnans on topic ReVamping VTES?

@Cat_in_Exile:

It certainly seems like fun, I just think it suffers from a lot of unnecessary mechanics and unhelpful complexity (for the purposes of convincing others to play it, why they should be interested in it, etc.)

In my experience as someone who has been teaching to play V:TES for ages, the complexity of the game is one of the main reasons why people get attracted to this game.

In fact, the first thing I say to them when they ask me for information about V:TES is: "You may not be ready for this game, because it may be too complex for you to handle". This reverse psychology technique has been working great so far.

And once they start to play on a regular basis, they love the fact of discovering more and more aspects of the game.

Therefore, I see the complexity of V:TES as one of its main assets.

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Cat_in_Exile

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2018 12:26 #84885 by thelonius reloaded
Replied by thelonius reloaded on topic ReVamping VTES?
The thing I love in this game is that it's very hard to have lucky as an excuse. Or at least, luck involves little about cards but regards mainly your seating. In this game, you can't say "I lost because I did not draw my combo", due to the high flexibility of deckbuilding and crypt management (even during the game), and the huge card flow.

Lurking in the underground of Bologna, Italy

More
13 Jan 2018 17:26 #84886 by Kraus
Replied by Kraus on topic ReVamping VTES?

Well, on my part, that would be because I like the game as it is. I don't like any of the changes you are proposing, really, other than agreeing that there's some poor art on some of the cards.

And BTW, I've only been playing this game since January of last year, so this isn't nostalgia talking. VTES is awesome.

Jesus, I wrote a super long reply to this whole thing, but misclicked somewhere I suppose and it deleted the whole thing. >.<

Okay, so briefly:

I've been demoing with these decks just now and plenty last summer, and they're super fun basic vampire. Just add the votes and rest of the combat to introduce a very basic, good and fun vampire experience that sure as hell isn't TOO complex to anyone who can keep track of a moderately complex board game. Try them out.

This goes to say that VtES as it's core isn't really too complex. It just isn't. It's multi layered, but it's not too complex. The abundance of card interactions is what makes it 'complex' at times, and that's true. That could be sorted out by not reprinting Forearm Block, but Target Vitals. I mean that's the only combat card people are playing anyways.

But that's another story. The point here I'm trying to make would be that VtES isn't too hard. But a more board-gameish card-kinda game to illustrate VtES lite, so to say, isn't far fetched as an idea at all. It doesn't need to replace VtES though. There are many fun board games to WoD, like Prince of the City, and it's not to replace VtES. Rather those complement it's existance.

So I'm beginning to be with anyone who said that if you want to revamp VtES, you could, but you should probably make it a game of it's own altogether. There's no harm in that.

Anyways, I'm with you guys with that if VtES would relaunch with the aesthetics and layout design on par with anything FFG pulls off, that would most certainly add to the game's appeal. The art budget for VtES has always been shaky at best. Which is a damn shame.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines

More
13 Jan 2018 17:32 - 13 Jan 2018 17:33 #84887 by Bloodartist
Replied by Bloodartist on topic ReVamping VTES?

The thing I love in this game is that it's very hard to have lucky as an excuse.

You must be joking.

ps. I want to give my ten cents on this topic at some point, but I know the posts will be very lengthy and I just haven't had the time to concentrate on the matter. At some point though I will do it.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 13 Jan 2018 17:33 by Bloodartist.

More
13 Jan 2018 20:19 - 13 Jan 2018 20:40 #84889 by Bloodartist
Replied by Bloodartist on topic ReVamping VTES?

Most CCGs follow set blocks for competitive play. Cards are rotated in and out of the current base set periodically effectively limiting the card pool for what is considered legal for tournaments.

I'm under the assumption that not that many CCGs actually rotate cards.

A couple surely, but hardly "most"...

AFAIK, only MtG really does this, and I think they do it mostly because it supports their CCG model (i.e. getting people to buy cards and make them tons of $$$.)

Android Netrunner is moving through its first rotation right about now. It has also launched(launching?) a new version of its core set, with a different permutation of cards. Cards from the old core set which were not included in the reprint are no longer tournament legal. This was done to revitalize the somewhat stagnant tournament metagame and to get rid of certain problematic cards afaik.

www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/11/system-refresh/

edit: more on the reasons behind rotation
www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/11/5/a-new-stage-of-growth/

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 13 Jan 2018 20:40 by Bloodartist.

More
13 Jan 2018 21:31 #84890 by Kraus
Replied by Kraus on topic ReVamping VTES?

Most CCGs follow set blocks for competitive play. Cards are rotated in and out of the current base set periodically effectively limiting the card pool for what is considered legal for tournaments.

I'm under the assumption that not that many CCGs actually rotate cards.

A couple surely, but hardly "most"...

AFAIK, only MtG really does this, and I think they do it mostly because it supports their CCG model (i.e. getting people to buy cards and make them tons of $$$.)

Android Netrunner is moving through its first rotation right about now. It has also launched(launching?) a new version of its core set, with a different permutation of cards. Cards from the old core set which were not included in the reprint are no longer tournament legal. This was done to revitalize the somewhat stagnant tournament metagame and to get rid of certain problematic cards afaik.

www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/11/system-refresh/

edit: more on the reasons behind rotation
www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/11/5/a-new-stage-of-growth/

Being a player of, I can say that rotation is more, more, more than welcome in that game.

It's a great game, but certain cards really needed to rotate. I think rotation is the right direction for ANR (if it does survive past the first rotation).

There's really no need for that in VtES though, where it's really unique and one of a kind. Yu-Gi-Oh doesn't have a rotation, but it does have an excessive ban-list, something that Vampires doesn't have. Or need, even. It's great and unique, but most of it comes from VtES being a multiplayer game (where multiple people balances a lot of things that would be beyond broken in a duel game).

Not to say that some players shouldn't enjoy VtES as a duel game, but if someone were to tailor anything vampiresque into a duel format, that should probably be made and balanced outside of the scope of VtES per se, completely independent.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds