file Open letter to Black Chantry Productions

18 May 2020 16:16 #99887 by self biased

I can say that all this is just an opinion. My opinion is this will not open anything (except Pandora's box), it will actually narrow down the choice of the decks. The existing rule works well, I don't see a problem. Also, a casual game can be played by an "old" house rules, but what if you want or happen to play in a playgroup other than your own? You will probably have to play by "unacceptable" official rules or accept some bad version of their house rules.

this is already a risk present in the game. There is a difference between "I don't like this rule change, but I still play by it" and "I don't want to use this rule change so my group house ruled it back into existence, but when I go to other playgroups, they use the rule I don't like."

This is that threatening thing. And why all this? Just because some people in tournaments want to play only the "best" decks/vampires, and it is hard for them if someone came up with the same "idea" (TWD list).

Net-decking and the relentless grind for optimization is inescapable this day in age. Without some kind of set rotation, something the V:TES community is profoundly and strenuously against, any meta will stagnate or have some kind of power creep as new cards are added to the game. Changing the Contest rule may very well produce an uptick in these star vampire decks being played, but it feels like this could be solved on a playgroup level by some negotiation with the other players.

But that's it. Test your games, see what happens, decide whatever you want, go report "objectively" and "positive". But please, don't say that it is for the benefit of the game and the community, because it's really not. Well, yes, it is also my opinion, I haven't tested this rule, except once upon a time, something similar, but who cares. See you when all this is over, I'm out. :sick:

very, very, very broadly speaking, the reports and anecdotes i've seen over the years appear to indicate that contesting a vampire with someone is, in and of itself, a relatively rare event. However, when it does come up it effectively punishes players for their deck choice. If a rule comes up rarely, and only serves to make people have a bad time playing game (or attempting to play the game) is it a good rule?

I do agree that deck variety at a given table should be encouraged by the rules, but I don't think the fear of punishment for bringing a star vampire deck to a table provided by the Contest rules does a good job of encouraging that sort of diversity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charles_Bronson, Tadori

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2020 19:27 #99888 by Sambomb
I'm 100% against the proposed change to enable contested vampire to play, but I do agree that the random chance of lose +-10 pool just ruins some games.
I did a suggestion about how we could handle it in another way here: www.vekn.net/forum/generic-v-tes-discussion/78628-suggestion-another-option-to-handle-constest

Archbishop of Itaocara
Prince ID #510
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Ezra, kschaefer

More
18 May 2020 22:27 #99890 by Lönkka
Claiming that new players need this proposed rule since they have access to merely a very limited card pool does not hold water.

Most new players tend to receive additional cards from old timers.

Most new players tend to cruise around to the interwebs and make a little shopping spree for single cards from one of the many vendors there offering basically everything for this game. Usually also with pretty darn cheap prices.

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lenny, Ezra, Palamedes

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
19 May 2020 07:11 #99892 by Tadori

Claiming that new players need this proposed rule since they have access to merely a very limited card pool does not hold water.

Most new players tend to cruise around to the interwebs and make a little shopping spree for single cards from one of the many vendors there offering basically everything for this game. Usually also with pretty darn cheap prices.

Basing rules decisions on this assessment is just fundemtly wrong. You can't assume that people will do anything.

More
19 May 2020 11:22 #99896 by Lönkka
I applaud you for boldly living in a dream reality of you own!

Chimestry FTW!

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Palamedes

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
19 May 2020 11:40 #99898 by Sambomb

Basing rules decisions on this assessment is just fundemtly wrong. You can't assume that people will do anything.

Based in your response, you cant base rules assuming that people will make:
Decks with the same vampire.
Decks with just one vampire.
Contest.
Play only with the v5 decks
Play only with BC decks
Play only with other first timers that dont have cards besides BC decks.

Archbishop of Itaocara
Prince ID #510
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Palamedes

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds