file Are official tournaments possible in online play?

07 Jul 2011 23:11 #6020 by drstrange26
From my experience, I have been able to get games there. Usually 4 to 5 players but nothing fantastic. However I have seen 10 players logged on.

My only complaint is the Deflection art!
Gag!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2011 23:57 #6021 by KevinM
What I define as 'cheating' is players talking via some chat tool about what their plays will be. There is no way to stop this, and since it's a multi-player game, you're screwed.

Magic Online can work because it's a two-player game. So, even though many Magic players are cheaters, they can't easily cheat online.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
08 Jul 2011 03:30 #6023 by drstrange26
I have to agree there are no ways of controlimg text or application based coaching
or deal making. The rules do define it as cheating. And until there is a 100 percent valid way to make sure no one cheats is such a way no online VTES game could ever be sanctioned by Vekn. That really puts the future of the game in jeopardy since sooner rather than latter new players will not have access to the game because no new cards are being produced. In your example VTES will become a game of who can buy the most villian and enkil cogs, and only those will qualify.

More
08 Jul 2011 05:22 - 08 Jul 2011 05:24 #6024 by Pascal Bertrand

I was reading through the VEKN rules on running tournaments and I found no issues that could restrict online play.

The Tournament Rules do not allow sanctioned online events:

All cards in a player's deck must be genuine Vampire: The Eternal Struggle or Jyhad cards.

Last edit: 08 Jul 2011 05:24 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
08 Jul 2011 06:04 #6026 by Juggernaut1981
That's a bit of a drastic position DrStrange.
I've qualified without Enkil Cog or Villein when both cards were in print.
Cheating in online tournaments would be too easy to do and far to hard to police.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
09 Jul 2011 02:10 #6097 by drstrange26
It is drastic. You can compete now. How about next year or say three years from now? Will you be able to keep those carrion crows from turning to dust?

Ultimatly sanctioned VTES tournaments will die away as no new cards are being produced. It won't happen within the next few months. The games' players are intelligent and I really find the game entertaining. I really think that the game itself will stay alive but the competition of tournaments will ultimatly wain as the cards wear with time. I really think online play could help keep the competition of VTES active.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds