file Finals are boring. Pt. 1: Slow Play

27 Nov 2012 03:25 - 27 Nov 2012 03:27 #41817 by Jeff Kuta

I would say it is "reasonable" to award the highest seed the victory. It does not necessarily follow logically. Alternate tournament victory conditions could also be valid.

I think this is well-said. But, may I ask: if awarding the highest seed the victory in the final in case of a tie does not necessarily follow logically, then to you, something else must. What is that something else, specifically?

Many other things could follow logically, including our current tournament default.

In many professional sports, there is an elimination tournament after the regular season to determine a single champion. The regular season standings may determine some seeding or home-field advantage for the tournament, but they don't play into it beyond that. None that I know of allow for this final game to be tied at the end of regulation time. There is always overtime, extra innings, or some type of shootout.

I would like to see VTES tournaments follow something more like this model. The top seed gets pick of seating. But, since ties are allowed in regular V:TES games, I don't see a problem with allowing a tie game if no one person has more VPs than the others at the end of a V:TES tournament. That may seem contradictory to what I said above, but I think that any advantage gained from the "regular season" ought to be removed once the game begins. This might make divvying up prizes more difficult (and perhaps especially for the Spanish events which have great trophies and artifacts at stake), but that does seem more fair to me than providing an incentive for the top seed to stall.

I'm open to any ideas on this regard. I would be keen to have alternate tournament scoring procedures sanctioned. A change to the final table standings wouldn't affect any bids to continental championships, though there could be some impact on the nascent ratings system.

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes
Last edit: 27 Nov 2012 03:27 by Jeff Kuta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2012 04:32 #41821 by KevinM

I would say it is "reasonable" to award the highest seed the victory. It does not necessarily follow logically. Alternate tournament victory conditions could also be valid.

I think this is well-said. But, may I ask: if awarding the highest seed the victory in the final in case of a tie does not necessarily follow logically, then to you, something else must. What is that something else, specifically?

Many other things could follow logically, including our current tournament default.

In many professional sports, there is an elimination tournament after the regular season to determine a single champion. The regular season standings may determine some seeding or home-field advantage for the tournament, but they don't play into it beyond that. None that I know of allow for this final game to be tied at the end of regulation time. There is always overtime, extra innings, or some type of shootout.

I would like to see VTES tournaments follow something more like this model. The top seed gets pick of seating. But, since ties are allowed in regular V:TES games, I don't see a problem with allowing a tie game if no one person has more VPs than the others at the end of a V:TES tournament. That may seem contradictory to what I said above, but I think that any advantage gained from the "regular season" ought to be removed once the game begins. This might make divvying up prizes more difficult (and perhaps especially for the Spanish events which have great trophies and artifacts at stake), but that does seem more fair to me than providing an incentive for the top seed to stall.

As has been said MANY times before, the top seed CANNOT stall, because it's illegal. tbh I'm surprised that you even mentioned it.

I'm open to any ideas on this regard. I would be keen to have alternate tournament scoring procedures sanctioned. A change to the final table standings wouldn't affect any bids to continental championships, though there could be some impact on the nascent ratings system.

What alternate tournament scoring procedures are you keen to have sanctioned, specifically?

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
27 Nov 2012 11:36 #41862 by Squidalot
Kevin just change the phrase to stall to 'top seed may play at different speeds at different times'

As i'm sure you're aware it's pretty hard to judge ratioanlly on anything that is subjective such as 'slow play'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amenophobis, Pendargon

More
27 Nov 2012 16:10 #41879 by ReverendRevolver
So, should we add overtime to finals? Or at least to finals that would time out and tie a player with vps at the final and the top seed?

I'm not sure if its a great idea or not but I understand some logic in it. tying for one player shouldn't mean winning, because just sitting isn't maximizing vps.

More
27 Nov 2012 16:39 #41884 by TryDeflectingThisGrapple

As i'm sure you're aware it's pretty hard to judge ratioanlly on anything that is subjective such as 'slow play'.

It is indeed, and it's an issue that has to be judged on a sliding scale. Both of these situations occurred in finals I judged.

Case 1. I timed a players time between actions. Over 3 turns, it steadily increased (more than doubling), was consistent between actions and reached 1.5 min when I intervened. At the same time, the opposing player exhibited a modest increase in time between actions.

I know the player in the winning position wasn't deliberately stalling. He was just really trying to avoid mistakes. But the effect was the same and it was actionable.

Case 2. This time, the two remaining players BOTH played measurably slower. Since the relative increase (and absolute elapsed time) per action was the nearly identical for both guys, I couldn't point to the player in the winning position as doing anything outside the normal flow of that game.

I'll tell you though, that EVERY turn I was itching to step in and had to justify my inaction to an equally frustrated spectator after the game.

D.

More
27 Nov 2012 17:21 #41891 by Jeff Kuta

...but that does seem more fair to me than providing an incentive for the top seed to stall.

As has been said MANY times before, the top seed CANNOT stall, because it's illegal. tbh I'm surprised that you even mentioned it.

Just because it is illegal doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Irrespective of any judge's willingness to enforce the rules, I actually mentioned that this would reduce any *incentive* for the top seed to stall. Such an incentive does exist and is in fact part of the tournament rules:

3.7.5 Final Round Scoring
In the event of a tie, the players' rankings at the end of the preliminary rounds will be the deciding tiebreaker.

What alternate tournament scoring procedures are you keen to have sanctioned, specifically?

Personally, I think the best way would be to have "sudden death overtime." If the game is tied at the end of regulation time, a new rule is imposed (you cannot transfer down to zero pool), and each time a victory point is earned, the game may end if it is not still tied.

Alternately, as I mentioned, I don't see any problem with a final ending in a tie if no one has a clear VP advantage. I also mentioned that pool remaining could also be used as a tie-breaker, but others thought that would lead to more king-making and conservative (keep your pool high) play. Perhaps it would.

Allowing flexibility to score final tables won't change the only real reward that requires tracking by the V:EKN: Bids to continental championships.

But, if you allow tournament organizers a choice of ways to determine a final winner, then some might actually try things differently and find a better way. Most won't, but even fewer will do so unless given the opportunity.

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds