file Finals are boring. Pt. 1: Slow Play

31 Oct 2012 13:59 #40121 by ReverendRevolver
All players are supposed to maximize vp's , but coming into finals top seed means your vps are maximized if nothing happens, whereas all other player slots have to actually play to win. regionally, we have had timeouts and finals play to last manstanding. it depended on aggression of decks. in the last final I did well in, the final 3 were 2 carna style walls and me with Dom,tha ,for second trad agg Lucinde . I ousted one wall but ran out of beads on my vamps before I could deal with the second. attrition seems to be important to aggresive finals with slow decks. winning should require risks and interaction. I favor a conical party hat with, "im winning" in blinking led lights on the top seed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2012 16:36 #40144 by Boris The Blade

Maybe if the first seed just comes into the finals wearing a hat that says "Winning" in big letters people won't forget to oust their preys.

Then the first seed has to give the hat to the first one who scores a VP. Since nobody wants to spend too much time with that hat on, everyone aims at scoring his points as late as possible not to become a target. Doesn't that favor time limits?

More
31 Oct 2012 20:34 #40173 by Adonai

Did the Silence of Death finals time out?

It did time out, but the winning player got 2 ousts before timeout.

Interestingly, the report of the Silence of Death tournament indicates that it was the only tournament final to actually finish, and the winner had 5 VPs.

vtesone.wordpress.com/2012/10/31/results-ec-2012-silence-of-death/

More
31 Oct 2012 20:51 #40174 by extrala

Did the Silence of Death finals time out?

It did time out, but the winning player got 2 ousts before timeout.

Interestingly, the report of the Silence of Death tournament indicates that it was the only tournament final to actually finish, and the winner had 5 VPs.

vtesone.wordpress.com/2012/10/31/results-ec-2012-silence-of-death/

Another blatant mistake by myself. :( The Archon says the same, I don't know with which final I was mixing that up, but the winner swept the table with 5 VPs.

More
31 Oct 2012 21:41 #40178 by Juggernaut1981
So it seems that when you make the finalists just play the damn game and not spend 10min trying to polish-a-turd-deal until it sparkles like gold... you get table sweeps...

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr.Mafrune, KevinM

More
31 Oct 2012 21:52 #40180 by Ohlmann

So it seems that when you make the finalists just play the damn game and not spend 10min trying to polish-a-turd-deal until it sparkles like gold... you get table sweeps...

I would not make conclusions based on one final alone :p

The spain torunament statistics show ~12% timeout only in final, which is not all that bad. Of course, maybe big event are a lot more likely to time out and it is hidden in thoses stats by smaller tournament.

(I refuse to suppose Spanish people to be faster than other :p)

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds