file Which is the problem: blood creation or recursion?

Poll: Problem? (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

Total number of voters: 0
Only registered users can participate to this poll
08 Nov 2012 15:09 - 08 Nov 2012 15:16 #40653 by Reyda
Ok Ohlmann, Massive is difficult to describe, because in a sens some people think that gaining over 10 pool during a master phase should occur like once per game. Others think that playing Parity shift twice, which can be a 20 pool swing, is a better exemple of massive pool gain since it's easier achieved.

Some people also think massive when you have 4 inner circles + a sidekick in play and your pool total is still around 20.

My feelings :
If we stick to the definition, the basis of jyhad : the 30 pool you start with, are your influence. You spend them to have minions on the table. The more you spend, the more minions capable of overwhelming the tables you have -be it by combat, politics or number of actions.

The influence does not come out of nowhere : it's originally from methuselahs pool.
So if a deck is capable of influencing a total of vampires twice over the starting pool of the methuselah, you can choose to call it "smart deckbuilding". You can also say "there may be a loophole".

Remember magic ? It was wizards launching powerful, colorful creatures at each other.
At some point there was no point in playing creatures. You barely saw them in tournament, because it removed a frailty from decks and trumped other anti creature cards. So one of the basics of gameplay, which made casual games really fun (remember you first mtg game!) was , because of competition, amputated from the scene.

So the team took decisions to change that. So mtg could become the game it was designed for.

I think one of the aspects that drew people to V:tes was the fact that each and every vampire, you paid with your pool, ie: your own blood. That there was tension, that some tiny decisions can result to life or death.

Will this single pool make the difference ? Well at least i'll leave the jyhad in a blaze of glory !

Now, when I sit at a table, it's not the same excitation anymore. Maybe something is gone ? But the things at stake are relatively different : some decks can propulse themselves so high on the pool curve, there is nothing you can do once it's started (except if said player suddenly starts to play like a monkey).

How can you go through 30 pool of a (new) prey with 4 vampires out ? And if he gains 10 more ? There is almost no deck that is designed to do 60 pool damage. Or at least one which is interesting to play. So that leads to discouragement.
"Yes, bleed me for 3, I will just villein/lilith the next vamp" ... 27 pool to go...
The problem is you cannot gang on those decks. You can try to slow them but eventually, you have to play the game. And because they are the one that shine when others are struggling to win the game, once there is a windows, they soar above the rest in terms of bloating.
As Bram Stoker said : "The blood is the life".

so where is the thrill of the beginning ?
It's not really the game I used to enjoy... But I still love it.

Do I have an idea for fixing this ? No.
maybe we should cap the methuselah's pool ? And even like this, it would not be balance. Sorry if I have no answers, but at least I shared my feelings.

Imagination is our only weapon in the war against reality -Jules de Gaultier
Last edit: 08 Nov 2012 15:16 by Reyda.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chaitan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2012 15:17 - 08 Nov 2012 15:22 #40654 by Ankha

Massive *pool* gain is the problem.

Could you give example ? Apart from Golconda, I can't see a massive pool gain which is used by really competitive deck and is not pool recursion. Then again, I suspect it's more that I don't have the same way to define massive.

Any way that increases your pool by more than 3: Villein and Minion Tap mainly. I don't know why you're talking about pool recursion or what you mean by it, maybe it falls in that category.

Political Stranglehold, Reins of Power and Ancient Influence come next but since they're limited to 1 per game (or make you lose pool) they're a limited problem.
Con Boon could also be a trouble, but Ancilla Empowerement/Anarchist Uprising do the same amount of damage so they're ok.
Golconda costs you a vampire, so I don't have any problem with that. When you play it, you're usually in big trouble.

Partiy Shift isn't an issue, because it removed pool from another player, meaning that no pool is created (the game probably end as quickly).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 08 Nov 2012 15:22 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: extrala

More
08 Nov 2012 15:25 #40655 by brandonsantacruz
I voted no problems with either... with the possible exception of Giant's Blood. Metagaming is important. Too few people go into a game saying "I'm going to DI/block/Delay that vote" or Sudden that Villein + GB or Amaranth Cybelle. Time to put up.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
08 Nov 2012 15:25 - 08 Nov 2012 15:28 #40656 by Ohlmann

Any way that increases your pool by more than 3: Villein and Minion Tap mainly. I don't know why you're talking about pool recursion or what you mean by it, maybe it falls in that category.

Well, I may be wrong, but for me Villein and Minion tap are pool recursion : you use the same pool several time to put multiples vampires into play.

I seperate it from pool/blood gain in that no ressource are actually added to the system. In effect, you pay the second vampire with blood from the first one, with a bit a loss (because you will not usually empty a vampire completely, and because Zillah cost pool)

Political Stranglehold, Reins of Power and Ancient Influence come next but since they're limited to 1 per game (or make you lose pool) they're a limited problem.
Con Boon could also be a trouble, but Ancilla Empowerement/Anarchist Uprising do the same amount of damage so they're ok.
Golconda costs you a vampire, so I don't have any problem with that. When you play it, you're usually in big trouble.

I agree that all thoses card are not problematic. Golconda may be, but mainly because it can restart the villein / zillah / information highway mechanism without much condition.
Last edit: 08 Nov 2012 15:28 by Ohlmann.

More
08 Nov 2012 15:42 - 08 Nov 2012 15:43 #40658 by Ankha

Well, I may be wrong, but for me Villein and Minion tap are pool recursion : you use the same pool several time to put multiples vampires into play.

Then the term would be 'recoup' rather than 'recurse'.
When you influence 11 pool on a vampire, this pool is stucked/invested and will ultimately disappear (to pay cards, or in combat etc.) but your pool level shouldn't go back in a short time (say 1 turn) to its initial level. Apart heavy bleed deck, no deck is capable of ousting prey(s) with 30 pool within 2 hours.
Heavy pool gain (such as Villein) means that decks will be un-oustable and will ultimately lead to time out.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 08 Nov 2012 15:43 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amenophobis

More
08 Nov 2012 17:02 #40663 by Suoli

How can you go through 30 pool of a (new) prey with 4 vampires out ? And if he gains 10 more ? There is almost no deck that is designed to do 60 pool damage. Or at least one which is interesting to play. So that leads to discouragement.

If a player has 30 pool and 4 big caps it means that a) someone brought a tournament deck to a casual game b) someone played badly or c) someone played well. What you are describing is not a standard mid game scenario. It's a win condition of a particular type of deck, analogous to 10 Tumnimos + Week of Nightmares or Enkidu being the last man standing. If a Girls type deck isn't rushed or heavily bled in the early turns then yeah, it will probably win. This is true for many tier 1 decks.

What does bug me, though, is Liquidation. Free pool with 0 interaction, starting from turn 1.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds