file Time frame about cancelling cards

23 Feb 2012 13:53 #23966 by henrik

I know all that. I just find it weird that text in Immortal Grapple: "A vampire may play only one Immortal Grapple each round." is not part of the effect of a card. Just wondering what is effect? All card text in card or just some part? But those other questions I made are more important.

Say your vampire A plays an Immortal Grapple. We can call that card IG#1.
IG#1 gets cancelled by Direct Intervention. It has no effect, no text on it applies, but you still played it. It can't be cancelled by Direct Intervention without being played in the first place.
You have another Immortal Grapple in your hand. We can call that card IG#2. The card text on IG#2 states that "[a] vampire may play only one Immortal Grapple each round."
Regardless of IG#1's text, the text on IG#2 still forbids you to play it since you already played IG#1 during that combat round.

I think it's safe to say that the only relevant text on a cancelled card (assuming cost isn't payed) is the card name, since some cards can only be played once per game/round/turn/action/etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2012 13:55 #23967 by Surreal

Wondering also situations of "as action is announced" time frame.

Do you have examples?

Can you tap Erciyes Fragments or Dreams to get a Seduction? Thanks for answers

More
23 Feb 2012 14:09 #23968 by Pascal Bertrand

Wondering also situations of "as action is announced" time frame.

Do you have examples?

Can you tap Erciyes Fragments or Dreams to get a Seduction? Thanks for answers

Sure.

More
23 Feb 2012 14:16 #23969 by Ankha

I think the main difference between canceling a card or canceling effect of a card is that if you cancel the effect the cost of the canceled card is still paid.

No. In both cases cost is paid (unless stated otherwise on the card). "Cancelling a card" and "cancelling the effects of a card" are the same.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
23 Feb 2012 17:45 #23984 by Malcolm Sprye
can you play as many effects as you wish during the "as it is played" window?
For example, is the following legal?:
  • Veil of Darkness is in play.
  • You block your opponent, in the resulting combat he plays Majesty, which is that vampire's first discipline card of the turn.
  • Veil of Darkness Does not reveal a master card
  • You play Botched Move
Is that all legal?

If Botched Move also failed to cancel the majesty, could you then DI? If so, would you draw to replace for the botched move before or after? i.e. could you draw into the DI off Botched move and then play it?

More
23 Feb 2012 17:50 - 23 Feb 2012 18:41 #23986 by Pascal Bertrand

can you play as many effects as you wish during the "as it is played" window?
For example, is the following legal?:
  • Veil of Darkness is in play.
  • You block your opponent, in the resulting combat he plays Majesty, which is that vampire's first discipline card of the turn.
  • Veil of Darkness Does not reveal a master card
  • You play Botched Move
Is that all legal?

Yes.

If Botched Move also failed to cancel the majesty, could you then DI? If so, would you draw to replace for the botched move before or after? i.e. could you draw into the DI off Botched move and then play it?

You could DI. However, since we're in the "as played" window, cards are not replaced : Rulebook section 1.6.1 , so you can't replace your BM with DI and play DI.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2012 18:41 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds