file Abomination & Compel the Spirit

10 Aug 2012 18:37 #34562 by Boris The Blade

To recruit an ally from your hand, play the card and tap the acting minion. If the action is successful, the ally is placed in your uncontrolled region, even though it is controlled, to indicate that it cannot act this turn (and the cost, if any, is paid). If the action is unsuccessful, the card is burned (see Resolve the Action, sec. 6.2.3). Only one ally card can be recruited per action. Note that allies brought into play by other means are able to act on the same turn, by default.

At the end of the turn, any allies that were placed in your uncontrolled region (to indicate that they cannot act) are moved to your ready region.

Now that the game has allies that can go to torpor (please read until the end before strangling me :laugh:), wouldn't it be clearer to put the new ally in the Incapacitated region instead of the Uncontrolled? That would make the different regions more consistent: everything in the Uncontrolled region is indeed uncontrolled and every minion that is controlled but not ready goes to the Torpor/Incapacitated region.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2012 18:12 #34752 by MTacla

However, if Talbot plays Abomination on a Renegade Garou recruited a turn (or more) earlier, the play is legal. "Since your last turn" is equivalent to "since the end of your last discard phase".

Is that so? Wouldn't be 'since your previous untap phase?' As I understand, 'since the end of your last discard phase' would make me unable to retrieve an ally burned in my previous minion phase.

Suppose I have a ready Muddled Vampire Hunter. On turn X he enters combat and dies. Can't I compel him on my minion phase in the turn X+1, since my he was burnt before my last discard phase?

Am I missing something?

Name: Compel the Spirit
Cardtype: Action
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Necromancy
+1 stealth action.
[nec] Move an ally or retainer that was burned from play since your last turn from your ash heap to your hand.
[NEC] As above, but move it to your ready region (ignore requirements and cost) with X life from the blood bank, where X is the starting life of the ally or retainer. If it is a retainer, place it on the acting minion.

More
14 Aug 2012 18:28 - 14 Aug 2012 18:29 #34753 by Pascal Bertrand

However, if Talbot plays Abomination on a Renegade Garou recruited a turn (or more) earlier, the play is legal. "Since your last turn" is equivalent to "since the end of your last discard phase".

Is that so? Wouldn't be 'since your previous untap phase?' As I understand, 'since the end of your last discard phase' would make me unable to retrieve an ally burned in my previous minion phase.

Suppose I have a ready Muddled Vampire Hunter. On turn X he enters combat and dies. Can't I compel him on my minion phase in the turn X+1, since my he was burnt before my last discard phase?

Am I missing something?

Name: Compel the Spirit
Cardtype: Action
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Necromancy
+1 stealth action.
[nec] Move an ally or retainer that was burned from play since your last turn from your ash heap to your hand.
[NEC] As above, but move it to your ready region (ignore requirements and cost) with X life from the blood bank, where X is the starting life of the ally or retainer. If it is a retainer, place it on the acting minion.

[LSJ 20010408] wrote:

> > usin Compel the Spirit to return an ally to play if the ally goes to your
> > [ash heap] in your turn and then in your following turn you play CtS does that
> > class as "since your last turn" or not...
Not.

> > or would you have to have then ally go to your discard "after" your last
> > turn?
After.

> > the Question came up at the Canberra Tournement and the organiser stated
> > that it wouldn't include your last turn but that doesn't seem right to me
It's right.

> CtS works like this: if your ally [burns on your turn] then you must use
> CtS in that minion pahse to recover it. If the ally dies outside your turn
> you must CtS your next (coming) turn.
Correct.

Last edit: 14 Aug 2012 18:29 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
15 Aug 2012 11:19 #34796 by MTacla
That was new to me. Thanks.

More
16 Aug 2012 18:59 #34903 by johannes

Now that the game has allies that can go to torpor (please read until the end before strangling me :laugh:), wouldn't it be clearer to put the new ally in the Incapacitated region instead of the Uncontrolled? That would make the different regions more consistent: everything in the Uncontrolled region is indeed uncontrolled and every minion that is controlled but not ready goes to the Torpor/Incapacitated region.

I have no idea what you are trying to achieve. What has uncontrolled to do with Torpor/Incapacitated? Based on what rule would you move from Torpor/Incapacitated to ready? The uncontrolled region serves a purpose (delaying the "arrival") while Torpor/Incapacitated serves a whole other purpose (making minion permanently unavailable unless rescued).

Of course you could say "At the end of the turn all minions in the Torpor/Incapacitated region that were influenced/recruited this turn move to the ready region". Which is awkward and should confuse newer players even more. Also not sure what kind of loopholes it might open.

More
16 Aug 2012 22:49 - 17 Aug 2012 10:00 #34927 by Boris The Blade

I have no idea what you are trying to achieve. What has uncontrolled to do with Torpor/Incapacitated? Based on what rule would you move from Torpor/Incapacitated to ready? The uncontrolled region serves a purpose (delaying the "arrival") while Torpor/Incapacitated serves a whole other purpose (making minion permanently unavailable unless rescued).

I am trying to find a way to prevent the question in that thread from occuring every month. With the rules as written only there is no way to decide whether the ally is ready or not.

Actually the only important facts rulewise are: the ally is controlled but not ready, it becomes ready at the end of the turn. The "ready" part is not written in the current rules so it is not surprising that people keep asking.

Where you put the card is only a tool to remember (most players I know just put the card directly in the ready region and the table remembers anyway :laugh: ). I find the Torpor/Incapacitated region is better suited to the task than the Uncontrolled because cards there have the same status as the ally: controlled but not ready. If the recruited ally came to play in the Incapacitated region, I don't think anyone would wonder whether he is ready or not.

Of course you could say "At the end of the turn all minions in the Torpor/Incapacitated region that were influenced/recruited this turn move to the ready region". Which is awkward and should confuse newer players even more. Also not sure what kind of loopholes it might open.

Easier than that: at the end of the turn, move all non-Imbued allies in your Incapacitated region to the ready region.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2012 10:00 by Boris The Blade.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds