file Cloak the Gathering - PB Confirmation

27 Nov 2012 04:18 #41820 by blackday
and in line with Juggernaut's reasoning, there are some players (im sure we all encountered some before) who have a different interpretation of the rules, and would require to have an official ruling. So the best way to quiet these guys would be to have the question answered in an official site by the "official rules" guy:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ashur

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2012 06:16 #41822 by direwolf
I remember when Sheldon, Lord of the Clog played "Cloak the Gathering" while in torpor. (the old text did not require a "ready" vampire.)

There are a lot of ingrained assumptions about V:tES. I will admit, I assumed it required an untapped vampire as well. I can't remember anyone playing it with a tapped vampire since I started playing by V:tES rules.

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.

More
27 Nov 2012 07:42 #41837 by Pascal Bertrand
It's interesting to notice that the Card Rulings page reads:

Cloak the Gathering:

The superior ability can be used to aid another minion even while the modifying vampire is tapped. [RTR 19941109]

What I'm interested in is the thought that created a doubt. Is it "Usually, I think the opposite of LSJ's rulings" ?

More
27 Nov 2012 07:53 #41841 by Juggernaut1981
Regularly enough LSJs rulings completely mystify me. It may not be usually, but it has happened often enough.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
28 Nov 2012 21:07 #41961 by Soonerborn
It wasn't my question but I often ask 'dumb' questions (that I already know the answer to) either because the situation arose during play and resulted in a disagreement or sometimes preemptively to avoid a potential future arguemeent when I intend play some esoteric combo or deck idea. Getting an 'official' ruling upfront is never a bad idea. Even at the cost of condescending banter from the vekn board...

I know I personally have attempted a legal play and had it essentially not accepted by the rest of the table (voted down?). The situation hadn't arisen before and all the other players decided it wasn't legal. But it was legal per LSJ. It wasn't tournament play so there was no official judge to make the call.

But that's no guarantee. It's been many years now but my brother got hosed by a wrong call in the final of a tourney that pretty much cost him a shot at the win. The judge for the event (who I won't name but is definitely 'famous' within the vtes community) had much more experience with competative play yet he made the wrong call.

Being a gentleman he later apologized for getting the ruling wrong but the point is that sometimes you get fucked. Not everybody has played countless games and encountered every scenario, that's why I think questions get asked that others might deem as obvious. JMO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Squidalot, Juggernaut1981

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds