file Shatter the Gate and edge burning

20 Apr 2013 18:41 #47300 by Ke.

Just being interested, is there any possible way of losing the edge during the action (burning Shatter the Gate or Hrothulf's innate rush ability)? I know there are actions to gain edge and but I don't know of any reactions which would change control of edge during action. (or at least I haven't seen one)

Well kinda, if your predator has any 419's in play....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2013 19:15 #47302 by Reyda

Just being interested, is there any possible way of losing the edge during the action (burning Shatter the Gate or Hrothulf's innate rush ability)? I know there are actions to gain edge and but I don't know of any reactions which would change control of edge during action. (or at least I haven't seen one)

"If I has edge" : you can has cheezburger ;)

yes there is a way to lose the edge.

For example, you control angra mainyu and want to get rid of one of the shatter the gate controlled by another methuselah. A dangerous vampire attempts to block : you burn the edge for +1 stealth, and since you sacrificed the edge, your action is not succesful. But your vampire did not enter combat so he is safe.

Another example : You attempt to burn one of the shatter the gate with Soldat, but get blocked. During combat, you want to avoid a potential deadly immortal grapple, and you discard the edge to manoeuver to long. Then you play Form of mist. But oops, mistake, since you no longer have the edge, the action fizzles.;)

Imagination is our only weapon in the war against reality -Jules de Gaultier
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jannu

More
24 Apr 2013 09:24 #47528 by Pascal Bertrand

"Burn the edge to..." means that burning the edge is part of the cost of the action. The cost of an action is only paid if the action is successful.

That's not the exact pattern that applies here.
The exact pattern would be "Do X to do Y as an action." .
Here, "X" is "burn the ede", and "Y" is "burn the Shatter the Gates".

Not to be mistaken with Enkil Cog "Do X to do Y." (instantaneous effect, not cost).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Boris The Blade

More
24 Apr 2013 09:42 - 24 Apr 2013 09:45 #47532 by Boris The Blade
Those are the same main pattern to me. I parse it as : "Do X to (do Y as an action)." The "to" pattern tells you that X is part of the cost of Y, then you look at what Y is to check how its cost is handled.

But anyway, that is just nitpicking. I prefer my version because there is already a "do Y as an action" pattern, so with my parsing you don't need to introduce a third compound pattern.
Last edit: 24 Apr 2013 09:45 by Boris The Blade.

More
24 Apr 2013 10:22 #47539 by Pascal Bertrand
So you would untap Enkil Cog if Shalmath's bleed is blocked during your prey's turn ;) ?

More
24 Apr 2013 11:14 #47541 by Suoli

So you would untap Enkil Cog if Shalmath's bleed is blocked during your prey's turn ;) ?

Well, if we were to follow Boris' logic:
- a blocked (unsuccessful) action to burn Shatter the Gates doesn't burn Shatter the Gates, therefore you don't pay the cost for something you didn't do
- tapping Enkil Cog is a cost of attempting the action and a blocked action is an attempted action, therefore you pay the cost.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds